"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #201
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Aw Beth, I'm so sorry. It's no use telling you to relax, because your inner self has understandably taken this on. Sounds like a change of scenery would do you good.

Sending you hugs.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #202
Chef Extraordinaire

stress is a terrible thing, especially when it is constant. hope you can de-stress enough to enjoy the holidays.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #203
Chef Extraordinaire

Hiya Miss Beth...Just dropping in to say Hey on Christmas Eve!! Were you able to go to Pennsylvania to see your sister??? I hope so! ~~ I know you two had a grand time visiting and catching up on everything...We have been as busy as bees in a tar bucket around here.. Lots of cooking going on etc. ~~ Anyway, I hope your tomorrow is special!! ~~~ Take care of yourself and drop us a line when you can........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #204
Assistant Cook

I just joined the site, but I'm really sorry to hear about your husband. I hope you can find the support you need and are able to make it through okay.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #205
Executive Chef

Been going through a bit of a rough spot lately. Found out I have anticipatory grief. That at least explains my mood swings and forgetfulness. I have talked with two Hospice counselors and will be participating in an online, moderated, grief support group, which will last about 3 months. This will start in Feb.

The trip to Bryn Mawr for Christmas was fabulous. Got snowed in there with the blizzard that hit the east coast. Had a wonderful time with the extended family.

But, I still was stressed out. So I implemented some new rules….no more work on the house, no visitors, and no more advice from dh….he was driving me crazy. He has embraced theses changes, much to my surprise. So, what was going to be his new project??

We bought a new motorcycle, a small one, 200cc, for him to ride when he gets too weak to ride the BMW. It’s a Suzuki DR 200 SE, an off and on road bike, fully legal for field or road. He is so excited. It won’t be delivered until next week. He is fixing up a place in the basement to park it.

We have been watching the Ken Burns series on the National Parks. Dh did have the dream of riding his bike to the west coast last year but felt too sick to do it. Now he is thinking about doing it this spring. He wants to see some of the National Parks out west. He will take a few shorter rides soon to see how he does. Because of weather, the last several trips to TN have been in his truck.

He has been relatively stable since his rapid weight loss in October. He is backing off on his steroids to see if that is the cause of his behavior changes.

That’s all folks!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #206
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
So glad you had a great Christmas, Beth. Been thinking about you and Rich a lot.

Anticipatory grief, eh? that's an interesting concept, and I can see it. I think my good friend and neighbor is having a bout of that too. Her husband is declining quickly from advanced stages of MS. Probably good to give those feelings a name. That's a new one since my grad school psychology days, but it makes real sense.

Hope your weather isn't as bad as ours here. We're having a real stinker of a winter. Much more like Chicago than New York.

Still sending you hugs and prayers, as always.

xoxo
Old 01-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #207
Everymom

Thanks for the update Beth, you've been on my mind lately. Sending lots of love and peaceful wishes your way.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #208
Executive Chef

Beth, it was good to hear an update. I hope the diagnosis and support treatment help you. I must say your dh just keeps going and doing the things he likes - and that should be a good lesson for all of us. Too much of the time we think we don't have time to do a bucket list when we should actually be doing them.
Take care and best wishes for many good trips.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #209
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thank you for the update! Hopefully your new rules will help your stress, along with the online support group.

You two still amaze me!

Barbara
Old 01-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #210
Chef Extraordinaire

Anticipatory grief makes sense....never thought about it, but I can grasp the idea....I encourage you to continue with any and all counseling available to you...It's always best to let things out and not keep them bottled up ~~~ Think about y'all often...especially when I see a big snow storm moving across your area...I bet that big wood pile is coming in handy, huh?

Stay warm and cozy...take good care of yourself!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Beth}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Closed Thread