"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #31
Executive Chef

still trying to get over these colds...the hospice nurse said to expect them to last at least two weeks..

We over did it yesterday. The hardest part of dh's cancer is to recognize and respect his limitations. We pushed around some soft fluffy snow for about 1 1/2 hours yesterday and we both are feeling dreadful today. Also, the trip to TN for Christmas was too hard on Rich. From Thanksgiving up till we left for TN, we were in a surreal phase where it was easy to ignore his illness. But three hours into the trip, he started with the hiccups and they continue still. It is impossible for him to eat with the hiccups and guests just politely try to ignore them. He really does best at home with no company at meal time. He lost 2 pounds at Christmas due to his inability to eat.

And he is a person who will not use the excuse of having stomach cancer to not get something accomplished. He is slowly getting back to replacing the faucetts, he has replaced 7 of the nine faucetts. Will try to attach some photos. In the case of the faucetts, seen one, seen them all! He wants to continue with the enterior painting next week. And a positive sign; he is starting to tear down his motorcycle for the annual winter check up. At the first of November, he was convinced he would not live to see Christmas.

Oh, I almost forgot the new kitchen appliances. He installed the dishwasher before we left for TN but the range just got hooked up this week. We had a serious delay trying to get the LP gas conversion fittings.

well, I am not able to add the photos right now...

Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #32
Executive Chef

operator error in the inability to upload some photos..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0319.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0321.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	7799  

Name:	DSCN0326.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	7800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0333.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	7801  

Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #33
Executive Chef

and the snow shuffling efforts of yesterday..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0353.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	7802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0345.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	7803  

Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh Beth,
Love your pictures. While beautiful, I'd hate to have to move or shuffle all that snow.My prayers continue. Bless you both.Here's hoping Rich feels a little soon.
cj
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #35
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Dear Beth: you know you cannot keep him from at least trying to do the things he has always done. Sending you tons and googobs of prayers and hugs.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Thinking of you and continuing to wish strength for you both.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #37
Executive Chef

dh is home today...mostly he has been self employed in the home building and computer software writing businesses, but the last 5 years he has worked for a friend and neighbor in a commercial roofing business. That business closed its doors 12/31/09, for a variety of reasons including the economy and dh leaving. All that is left for dh to do is the taxes and final financial stuff. He has been going in most days lately but is taking today off. He has started a new project that he thought he would never do again...tearing down his motorcycle for its annual winter check up. He thinks he can't do any more long trips, but he gets such enjoyment even with short local trips.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Pretty winter wonderland. Nice basic white appliance color scheme. Glad to hear Hubby is hanging in there. You might want to look over his shoulder and take notes while he's doing the tax and financial stuff.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Pretty winter wonderland. Nice basic white appliance color scheme. Glad to hear Hubby is hanging in there. You might want to look over his shoulder and take notes while he's doing the tax and financial stuff.

LOL, this is precisely what drove me to get some anti-anxiety medicines. DH is a spreadsheet nerd. He has a spreadsheet for everything. Seriously, he started the day after we learned he has cancer in teaching me his system. We had to develop our own retirement plan, being self employed and not being offered with my jobs....just this morning I watched him do some whizzerdry with our CD interest....I think he has no idea that I still have no idea what he is doing

anyway, we have declared today a Holiday. He almost got giddy when I served him pizza for his first snack.....ah.... the joys of simple living
Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #40
Executive Chef

You should be able to cope with Excel, as long as you keep backups of some 'good' prior versions of the spreadsheets. Hopefully most of the spreadsheets aren't much more than 30 or 40 columns. It can be considerably more difficult if he's using applications he developed with tools like dBase or Visual Basic.