What's better than a new kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I've had several people wanting me to share the kitchen story, so here it is. ;)

As newlyweds seven years ago, we each had two large houses and we wanted to downsize to a place of our very own to make our own memories.
We loved this place for all the important reasons, and although the kitchen was well laid out it needed upgrading. We did it slowly. The first thing that had to go was the ceramic tile counters. To me there's nothing worse, so we replaced them with beautiful granite a couple of years ago. Although the appliances were new seven years ago, they were very low end and thanks to research with the help of DC, we had them all replaced except for the refrigerator. That we are waiting on until GE comes out later in the year with the matching slate color in the model we want..(one door, freezer on bottom).

Everything leads to something else it seems, so we no longer liked the chintzy cabinets, although the insides were fine, and the granite counter tops in place. We found an outfit perfect for us called Cabinet Refacing | Kitchen Cabinetry | Bath Remodeling | Anaheim | San Diego
and the job was completed in three days. The old doors and falling apart drawers were replaced, the existing cabinet "boxes" were resurfaced with
1/4" wood veneer, perfectly mitered. We are over the moon happy with the results. Here's some before and after pictures.

N
img_1410815_0_dd01167a776b9c79b03a63769eddf386.jpg

New counters, sink and faucet..

img_1410815_1_60fadd914dbcc9871882782a73a06fd1.jpg

Here is the new completed kitchen...

img_1410815_2_49d4ceccbdfffb8c668b5e9ec16ee226.jpg

img_1410815_3_2ecb656b114df67698cb794c319a3384.jpg

img_1410815_4_f766a0eb0c387aaf0d8a61ba55feddde.jpg

Technical details

Here are some of the things you cannot see:
The drawers are dovetailed construction, are 3 inches deeper and slide out completely. They also have soft close slides.
All the doors also have soft close hinges.
The pantry doors to the extreme left of the stove have hinges that allow the doors to be open much more than 90 degrees. The hinges were positioned so as not to interfere with the slide out wire racks.
The two slide out drawers for the pots and pans to the left of the sink are also much larger and also slide out all the way.
I am totally impressed with the entire operation, starting with the samples brought during the initial visit, the professional way the measurement were taken, and the project individual website reports during the process. The installer worked steadily and professionally, and got the job done to Kayelle's approval.
The end result was fantastic, and the cabinets almost look like fine furniture,
Thanks for the good wishes.

That is one pretty kitchen.Just love it!

Kayelle, don't freak out on me..You know what?

We both had the exact same dishwashers..Before and after.:ROFLMAO::ohmy:
I'm extremely happy with the new one.It has to be the best one we've ever owned.

Nice job!

I'm off to finish contemplating the universe.:LOL:

Oh, and what's better than a new kitchen?
When the kids move out and can mess up their own kitchen instead of mine!My dream kitchen...Yeah..some day.

Last edited:
OMGosh, what a transformation...it looked nice before, but what a difference afterwards! Great job, it looks so nice, I love the dark cabinets. :) Thanks for sharing the before and after, Kay and Souschef!

Lovely! A friend of mine commented that after visiting the Julia Child kitchen at the Smithsonian, she realized her kitchen is a workshop and has set it up to be a workshop. Her kitchen is tiny--she's taken the pans out of the cupboards and those are now on the fridge. She's also moved her small appliances to a bookcase in the kitchen so she has more counter space.

Gorgeous. I love the color. We are doing a similar color in our bedroom. If it ever gets finished. DH is a cabinetmaker. Plumber's sink always leaks.....sighhhhh....

Thanks so much for all the lovely comments from each of you. It's been a very long time coming to get the dream kitchen of my life. Not fancy, but just right for us and the way we live.

Last edited:
The counter tops are an art piece in their own right. Nothing wrong with have art in the kitchen. And the cabinets? More art work. Do you take in borders? If so I am on my way. I will just stand in the kitchen everyday and admire it. As your signature states, "The kitchen is a moment that takes your breath away. :angel:

Last edited:
The counter tops are an art piece in their own right. Nothing wrong with have art in the kitchen. And the cabinets? More art work. Do you take in borders? If so I am on my way. I will just stand in the kitchen everyday and admire it. As your signature states, "The kitchen is a moment that takes your breath away. :angel:

I love the look of them too Addie. Here's another shot of the breakfast bar top.

img_1411023_0_188065940e2500f92bc02233ee298348.jpg

To me Kay, the dark streaks make the whole top look as if it is all a flowing river. The same for the piece at the sink counter. Each piece compliments the other. It is hard to get two pieces that match so well. Absolutely beautiful. And the lighter color of the counters matches perfectly with the darker cabinets. I have the feeling you will spend more time in your kitchen. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom