"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #21
Master Chef

Addie, I doubt very much that being a telemarketer is on anyone's wish list for a great career. I don't like being bothered either, but these folks are trying to make a living rather than being on the welfare lines. I simply just hang up without a word, since I can find better things to do.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I do none of those things. I just don't feel intruders into my home deserve much consideration.
Didn't say you did. I was talking about Addie's behavior.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #23
Wine Guy

No land line here, either. We gave it up about three years ago, and had the old number transferred over to an automated voicemail service for those handful of people and businesses who can't be bothered to update our contact information in their address books (we've sent out multiple notices). It doesn't forward. It only takes messages.

If anyone, including telemarketers, wants to call us at that number and leave a message, they are more than welcome to do so. It doesn't mean we'll call them back, however.

Funny thing. My wife's parents still call us at the old number and leave voicemail messages, even though we've repeatedly asked them to call on one of the cell phones. Her dad won't do it, though. Says he would rather call us on our "real phone".
Old 06-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I did not read the complete thread, but wanted to say for once, I got the better of them (telemarketers) and it feels GREAT!

We were getting calls from a source that just would not quit. It got so bad, I bought a whistle to blow out their ear drums. They just laughed at me.
They were well known on Google as they were bothering lots of people.

Not long ago, we decided to go cell phone all the way. We had to keep our land line for the DSL account.
So, I plugged my printer/fax machine into the phone jack and set the fax machine to "auto answer".
I still hear it ring, but its fun to know they get a fax machine now instead of an irate me.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They're just trying to do a job, Addie. No need to abuse them like that.
They took the job knowing how these things work. While i do understand its their job, in my case as I stated above, they went above and beyond doing their job. They took the calls to a level that required action on my part.

Quote:
Slamming down the phone in someone's ear is not very nice. Nor is wasting someone's time like that, only to accuse them of wasting your minutes.
Slamming down the phone would be polite, had it been me and they had been forewarned.
I would hope foul language made them cringe because I gave them many words that were very foul.

Quote:
Didn't say you did. I was talking about Addie's behavior.
I found her behavior not only funny, but possibly effective.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
They took the job knowing how these things work. While i do understand its their job, in my case as I stated above, they went above and beyond doing their job. They took the calls to a level that required action on my part.

Slamming down the phone would be polite, had it been me and they had been forewarned.
I would hope foul language made them cringe because I gave them many words that were very foul.

We're talking about different things, RB. The way Addie put it, she treats all unwanted callers this way, not just the ones who are rude and persistent.

Besides, we know you don't mind abusing people, too. I'm thinking about your story of a new person trying to make sandwiches in a busy line at the grocery store and how you cursed at him, knowing full well he could not respond. And if I'm not mistaken, you reported him to the manager for being too slow. Nice.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

Thank you RB. It all depends on what mood I am in. Some days I am bored and like to have my own brand of fun. And when I hold one of them on the phone I am doing someone else a favor. They are not bothering someone else. And you can't slam a cell phone down in anyone's ear. But you can hang up in the middle of a word. It makes them wonder if they lost the connection.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #28
Master Chef

We all have our ways of handling things and I'm sure they're all effective, one way or another.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
We all have our ways of handling things and I'm sure they're all effective, one way or another.
Of course. But the way we choose to handle things reveals a bit about one's character, yes?

"Men show their character in nothing more clearly than by what they think laughable."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe*
Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Of course. But the way we choose to handle things reveals a bit about one's character, yes?
Oh absolutely, I totally agree!