"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Head Chef

What's happening?

For some reason, I haven't had the feel for cooking! Something seems to be missing!
Have any of you ever felt this way? Maybe I'm just looking for something a little off the wall?
Has anyone else been in this "ZONE"?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
Wine Guy

Yes. I've been on a diet lately, and have found that I simply don't have as much interest in food because of it.

For one thing, I don't eat as often. Before starting this diet I ate three meals every single day, with snacks in between. Now I sometimes just end up eating two meals. And I don't snack at all.

Also, I don't obsess as much over meals as I used to. These days I eat simple food. Tonight I bought a rotisserie chicken, brought it home, and, rather than dirtying a plate, just pulled the darn thing apart with my hands and stuffed it in my face like a Neanderthal.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh yes, lately have no interest in cooking. Seems to happen about the same time each year.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
For some reason, I haven't had the feel for cooking! Something seems to be missing!
Have any of you ever felt this way? Maybe I'm just looking for something a little off the wall?
Has anyone else been in this "ZONE"?
I am just coming out of that ZONE. It felt good to be in the kitchen again. Granted I have only myself to cook for, but I make way more than I can eat and send it over to my daughter's home.

I was in that ZONE for about five months. I had lost interest in a lot of things and food. So you will come out of it. I think this weather is responsible for feeling down a bit.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #5
Master Chef

S&P, I've hit that wall, too. Sometimes it's the weather, sometime it's because I had marathon cooking days for a long string of time, sometimes I'm just lazy for a while. Enjoy the non-cooking time to use for something else you keep putting off while you wait for it to return - like, say, organize a sock drawer.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #6
Master Chef

I get the blahs about this time of year. I wander the grocery store and nothing looks good or worth the price and or trouble to bother with. In a few weeks I will perk up and start searching for some locally grown asparagus and all will be right with the world!

Years ago my first thrills of the season were from the new crop of maple syrup on fat fluffy pancakes or a juicy rhubarb pie. Oh well, I've had my fun!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I don't get tired of the cooking, but I do get tired of cleaning up afterward.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

This happens to me from time to time. I just have no desire to cook, try new dishes or look at recipes, etc. Cooking for dinner for us is done on auto pilot.

I can tell you this, so far, it has passed every time and I'm back in the saddle again.

http://youtu.be/80NoPLp-Zl0
Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I can tell you this, so far, it has passed every time and I'm back in the saddle again.

http://youtu.be/80NoPLp-Zl0
I was actually thinking more of the Aerosmith song "Back in the Saddle Again," but Gene Autry's fine, too.

I agree with others that a lot of it has to do with the time of year. Once the farmer's markets open again and the weather turns nice enough to grill outside occasionally, the doldrums will lift.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

Who's Gene Autry?