"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm not about to inventory my freezer when it's almost as cold as the freezer outdoors.
I'm with you there, TL! I have one chest freezer, one upright, and one above the fridge at the farm. I pretty much know what I've put in the freezer. The surprises are those things that s/one ELSE put in the freezers...

Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Master Chef

Way too much. I only have the top of the fridge. I've lived here ten years and am continually telling myself and my husband that we need a little chest freezer. We had one for most of our married life. But because of the placement of the fridge, we can't have an icemaker, so have lots of trays of ice cubes. I like to have a frozen pizza on hand. There are still gallons of tomato sauce and juice from the summer, quarts of chicken and turkey stock, along with pesto, harissa, and roasted red peppers. there are the basics in most meat-type categories (actually, right now I don't think there's any fish or shellfish in there). There are bags of frozen veggies; I think right now broccoli, green beans, and Brussels sprouts. I think a few sticks of butter and a pound of bacon. My husband is only allowed to open the freezer to get ice cubes or make more ice. And sometimes not even then. It is like a big puzzle, and things only fit in one way. We can afford the small (I think 8 or 9 cubic feet is what we had and it was plenty) chest freezer, seems to me they only run about $200. But .. where to put it.

So here's a question for you. Right now, obviously, we could put almost anything out on the porch. But does a freezer do OK in an unheated garage when it is colder outside than in the freezer? Will it still work OK in the summer? We thought about the cellar, but seriously, the cellar is about 2 inches shorter than I am and it is a royal pain to bump my head continually. It has only gotten wet a few times, but, that, too, is an issue.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Master Chef

Every cubic inch of the freezer filled to the max. Among those, unknown items which we will eventually consume several months from now when discovered and shuffled toward the front of the freezer where we can see them and remember that they're there.
Our freezer management sucks.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Oh, Roadfix, when I had a freezer (most of my life), there would be evenings when I'd tell my husband that it was to be mystery meal. I'd thaw something and just make a meal around whatever it turned out to be! Only having the fridge freezer, I pretty much have a good idea of what's there. And I give away a lot of excess stews/soups/chilies that I might have frozen had I more room in the freezer.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Someone else asked this question last April, so I took an inventory then. I found that I can keep track by occasionally updating.

It's great to have a list that I can look through when it's time to shop so I can make sure I have all my staples on hand.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
So here's a question for you. Right now, obviously, we could put almost anything out on the porch. But does a freezer do OK in an unheated garage when it is colder outside than in the freezer? Will it still work OK in the summer? We thought about the cellar, but seriously, the cellar is about 2 inches shorter than I am and it is a royal pain to bump my head continually. It has only gotten wet a few times, but, that, too, is an issue.
Between the three houses, we have nine freezers. Here at the farm, there is one freezer in the "summer kitchen" (this is an uninsulated porch). We have two freezers outside at one of the other houses. We generally empty these freezers by April, except for the one at the farm. In the winter, the outside freezers use less energy than those in the house. In the summer, they use more. You can put a freezer outside on the porch.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

bags of veggies, about six. bags of fruit, two, one bag of chopped onion and one of peppers, one frozen dinner, two kinds of ice cream , garlic bread, family sized lasagna cornbread, one bag honey chicken breast strips, one loaf of bread. sausage, burger, chicken thighs, fish, one cooked chicken breast, ham.
now that i look at it that is a lot for one person. oh and ice cubes. the freezer in this new fridge. is not as large as the one i had before. good thing, probably would just stuff more in it.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I forgot to mention ice cream. There is ALWAYS ice cream in my freezer.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsbud View Post
I forgot to mention ice cream. There is ALWAYS ice cream in my freezer.
There should be a law to ensure that all freezers have some kind of frozen treat!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have no clue, hence the spelunking. Many packs of frozen veggies, fruit, chicken, fish, shrimp, cheese and bacon. Soups and stews in cottage cheese containers. Tater tots somewhere. We have a small chest freezer in the basement and a bottom freezer in our fridge, and everything is pretty packed. I do label everything before stuffing it into the abyss.

DH is not allowed in either freezer. He upsets the delicate balance, and can't get the doors shut if he does retrieve something. Then he swears a lot, and I have to restuff.

Tags
freezer