What's in your freezer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm feeling very industrious this morning having finished my latest freezer inventory.

Now I know what's in my freezer.

What's in your freezer?:cool:

4 servings of green chili and rice, 4 potato and cheese crusted cod filets, Shrek has some beer battered fish, 6 pounds butter, ice cream, Klondike bars, pepperoni slices, various sprigs of herbs, pie crusts

In the big freezer, various frozen vegggies and a quarter beef.

Between the two freezers I have:

ice cubes
Vanilla ice cream
2 whole bone-in pork butts
2 whole chickens
boneless turkey breasts and thighs
chicken thighs
6 containers of black beans
1 gallon of turkey stock
1 qt chicken stock
1/2 cup containers of chicken broth
salmon
bacon - raw and cooked
pork neck bones
ham bone
duck fat
wings
frozen ice cream tub (empty)
beef barley soup
Potato leek soup
andouille
kielbasa
butter - salted and un
filo dough
egg beaters
breakfast sausage
Boneless chicken thighs
Boneless chicken breasts
cooked and raw chicken bones (for stock)
carrots and celery (for mire poix)
pancetta
kafir lime leaves
flank steak
pickled radishes
dried shrimp
bananas
tomato paste
strip steaks
filets mignon
tenderloin scraps
pork loin roast

...and about a 1" thick layer of frost all around in the upright freezer.

I'm sure there's more but I'm not doing a full inventory.

A lot less than there was last week. I decided that I needed to either cook the 15 pound Butterball in my deep freeze or start planning it's birthday party, so yesterday I made roast turkey with all the trimmings!

All I have left in there now is some ground beef, a dozen hamburgers, some boneless skinless chicken breasts, two 5 pound chickens I got for 99¢ a pound, a couple dozen hot dogs, a half dozen stuffed potatoes, one package of steakhouse potatoes, 3 loaves of Oroweat bread, a package each of hot dog and hamburger buns, a pack of artisan tortillas, a 10oz bag of spinach, 1 pound of shredded mozzerella, and two blue ice packets. Oh, and my first ex-wife.

The freezer part of my refrigerator has a couple or three top sirloins, 6 pork chops, 6 burgers, 8 hot dogs, 3 veal cutlets, a 2 pound bag of corn, a 2 pound bag of green beans, a 1 pound bag of crinkle cut carrots, a 1 pound bag of julienned bell peppers, a couple of containers of spaghetti sauce with a meat ball and an Italian sausage link in each, sliced cheddar cheese, sliced Swiss cheese, vanilla ice cream, strawberry ice cream, chocolate ice cream, and some black bananas for banana bread or banana pancakes. Some of the turkey and sides I made yesterday will be going into one or both of the freezers in a couple of days, too.

I think that about covers it.

Last edited:
This gave me the push to clean out and inventory my freezer. I have a side by side that I HATE but let hubby talk me in to. Not user friendly.
So in my freezer right now is:
1 chuck roast for pot roast
1 boneless pork loin
1 package pork chops, bone in
3 packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 packages of boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 package of turkey legs
1 package ground beef
2 packages smoked sausage
2 packages Jummy Dean bulk sausage
4 freezer bags of red, green and yellow peppers
Brown sugar
1 tray of beef stock
2 trays of ice cubes
15 bags of veggies
4 freezer paks for lunch boxes.
1box each of aunt jemima waffles and pancakes
Phew... Now I have a clean and tidy freezer!

Lots and lots and lots and lots and...............

Probably close to 100 ears of corn-on-the cob, 30 or so packages of frozen green beans, same of corn-off-the-cob, tons of packages each of zucchini and yellow squash, bags of whole tomatoes, whole and cut-up okra, about half dozen containers of homemade baked beans, same quantity of home-smoked pulled pork, plus an assortment of small pork and beef roasts, several Cornish hens, a whole chicken, plenty of fish fillets, a few packages of salmon steaks and tuna steaks, a half dozen pork chops, chicken leg quarters, ground beef (raw and cooked), Italian sausage, bacon, link and patty pork sausage, and several other commercially-made frozen veggies.

The one in the refrigerator has assorted frozen juices, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, salted and unsalted butter, various fruit rinds (lemon, orange, etc.), dry yeast, ice packs (for coolers and boo-boos), and packages of almonds, pecans, macadamias, walnuts.

There is probably more, but I think I've inventoried most of what is frozen.

Since I had to throw out many dollars of food when we had a power outage I don't keep much meat in my freezer.

Assorted uncooked rice blends
Uncooked brown rice
Assorted Frozen veggies
Assorted Flours
Whole coffee beans
Yeast
Butter
Nuts
Seeds
Turkey Wings
Pork loin chops
Pork loin roast
Tomato/mushroom sauce
Assorted Misc items

What's in my freezer(s)?
Less this week than the week before. Some of it identifiable, some of it not.
Next week there will be even less. I'm on a mission!

I'm not about to inventory my freezer when it's almost as cold as the freezer outdoors. We have a small chest freezer and freezers on two fridges. We label everything that isn't really obvious (e.g., bread in clear plastic) and can usually remember what we have.

2 bone in turkey breasts (great deal at Target @thanksgiving)
20 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
5 lbs bacon
5 lbs ground beef
stock
chuck roast
2- 1/2 pork loins
a big 10 gallon jug of water (put in before a hurricane threat to help pack deep freeze full, to stay colder longer)

In the fridge freezer
homemade sauce
stock
ice
bags of frozen veg
homemade peach pie
blackberry cobbler

I keep my deep freeze organized with those reusable cloth grocery bags. I have a bag for beef, one for chicken, and one for pork. If I get a good deal, then I will add a second bag for one type of meat. This way I can lift out the bag to get what I need and there isn't anything that gets lost in the bottom of the freezer.

I also repackage the meat I buy in the serving size that I need and vacuum seal. These packs thaw quickly in a sink of cool water.

I'm not about to inventory my freezer when it's almost as cold as the freezer outdoors.
I'm with you there, TL! I have one chest freezer, one upright, and one above the fridge at the farm. I pretty much know what I've put in the freezer. The surprises are those things that s/one ELSE put in the freezers...

Way too much. I only have the top of the fridge. I've lived here ten years and am continually telling myself and my husband that we need a little chest freezer. We had one for most of our married life. But because of the placement of the fridge, we can't have an icemaker, so have lots of trays of ice cubes. I like to have a frozen pizza on hand. There are still gallons of tomato sauce and juice from the summer, quarts of chicken and turkey stock, along with pesto, harissa, and roasted red peppers. there are the basics in most meat-type categories (actually, right now I don't think there's any fish or shellfish in there). There are bags of frozen veggies; I think right now broccoli, green beans, and Brussels sprouts. I think a few sticks of butter and a pound of bacon. My husband is only allowed to open the freezer to get ice cubes or make more ice. And sometimes not even then. It is like a big puzzle, and things only fit in one way. We can afford the small (I think 8 or 9 cubic feet is what we had and it was plenty) chest freezer, seems to me they only run about $200. But .. where to put it.

So here's a question for you. Right now, obviously, we could put almost anything out on the porch. But does a freezer do OK in an unheated garage when it is colder outside than in the freezer? Will it still work OK in the summer? We thought about the cellar, but seriously, the cellar is about 2 inches shorter than I am and it is a royal pain to bump my head continually. It has only gotten wet a few times, but, that, too, is an issue.

Every cubic inch of the freezer filled to the max. Among those, unknown items which we will eventually consume several months from now when discovered and shuffled toward the front of the freezer where we can see them and remember that they're there.
Our freezer management sucks.

Last edited:
Oh, Roadfix, when I had a freezer (most of my life), there would be evenings when I'd tell my husband that it was to be mystery meal. I'd thaw something and just make a meal around whatever it turned out to be! Only having the fridge freezer, I pretty much have a good idea of what's there. And I give away a lot of excess stews/soups/chilies that I might have frozen had I more room in the freezer.

Someone else asked this question last April, so I took an inventory then. I found that I can keep track by occasionally updating.

It's great to have a list that I can look through when it's time to shop so I can make sure I have all my staples on hand.

So here's a question for you. Right now, obviously, we could put almost anything out on the porch. But does a freezer do OK in an unheated garage when it is colder outside than in the freezer? Will it still work OK in the summer? We thought about the cellar, but seriously, the cellar is about 2 inches shorter than I am and it is a royal pain to bump my head continually. It has only gotten wet a few times, but, that, too, is an issue.
Between the three houses, we have nine freezers. Here at the farm, there is one freezer in the "summer kitchen" (this is an uninsulated porch). We have two freezers outside at one of the other houses. We generally empty these freezers by April, except for the one at the farm. In the winter, the outside freezers use less energy than those in the house. In the summer, they use more. You can put a freezer outside on the porch.

bags of veggies, about six. bags of fruit, two, one bag of chopped onion and one of peppers, one frozen dinner, two kinds of ice cream , garlic bread, family sized lasagna cornbread, one bag honey chicken breast strips, one loaf of bread. sausage, burger, chicken thighs, fish, one cooked chicken breast, ham.
now that i look at it that is a lot for one person. oh and ice cubes. the freezer in this new fridge. is not as large as the one i had before. good thing, probably would just stuff more in it.

I have no clue, hence the spelunking. Many packs of frozen veggies, fruit, chicken, fish, shrimp, cheese and bacon. Soups and stews in cottage cheese containers. Tater tots somewhere. We have a small chest freezer in the basement and a bottom freezer in our fridge, and everything is pretty packed. I do label everything before stuffing it into the abyss.

DH is not allowed in either freezer. He upsets the delicate balance, and can't get the doors shut if he does retrieve something. Then he swears a lot, and I have to restuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom