What's in your pantry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While the salsa is "melding," I thought I'd clean out my small pantry closet...interestingly enough, it now contains a large container of sand from Lake of the Woods. Why? I use it to clean my cast-iron pans. I wonder how many other keep a container of sand in the kitchen?

Great for a kitchen fire! :angel:

On last April we had a mouse in the pantry but Kali ate it. Otherwise we have:
No mouse
Flour
Sugar
Baking Powder
Jars of pickles, olives, pimientos, jams, jellies, tomatoes, and others
Canning things and the supplies
Coffee
Tea
Crackers
Juices in bottles
Cat food cans
Dog food cans
Cat food bag
Dog food bag
Trash can
Soup
Gravy mixes
Large spices shelves
Cat treats
Dog treats
Cereal
Rice
Noodles
Pasta
and more things.

~Cat

Way, way too much. And it isn't that big. But I think we could eat for 2 months, conservatively, out of what is in the house. And I don't have a huge amount of storage space dedicated to food; just a relatively small cabinet and an older fridge/freezer, over under. But I think the two of us could easily eat from what is in the house for two months, then some. Heck, I only just fixed dinner with the last of LAST summer's tomato sauce.

I never considered using sand in my CI. I use a blue scrub sponge on CI and everything else.
My grandmother always used lake sand on her CI pans up at The Lake. I figure that's how the pioneers probably cleaned their pans when moving west in the covered wagons...I don't use it every time, I usually use salt and a dedicated plastic donut scrubber. The sand is mostly granite.

Since I went shopping for the month a few days ago, my food cabinet is full. Andy got me to wanting some hash with an egg. So I bought two cans of Mary's Kitchen Roast Beef Hash. All my other can goods are in the fridge. Beets, petite peas, sliced carrots for salad or a snack. Too much stuff to write up.

They had a whole display of miniature foods for school lunches. So I bought a small can of shortbread miniature cookies with the chocolate stripes. Good Grief!!! It was so sweet that I can only eat one a day with a whole glass of milk to wash it down. I also bought some potato sticks for a snack. My freezer is full. And I bought some new potatoes from Maine. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom