What's in your pantry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a good idea! I keep mine in a glass jar, but there's no reason why I couldn't soak them and pop them in the freezer...except they might get lost...

It was the lesser of three evils when it came time to store the extras.:LOL:

I'll go first and try and remember everything I usually have!

Canned foods :
Tomatoes, a variety of beans, canned creamed corn, tuna, sardines, oysters, condensed milk, evaporated milk, samp, chakalaka relish and corned beef for hubby.

Dry goods: Brown rice, thai rice, basmati rice, pasta, maize meal, polenta, cous cous, barley, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, brown sugar, dried beans and lentils, linseed, green split peas, sago.

Preserves: Apricot Jam, Berry Jam (any kind), pickles, chili sauces (many!), sauerkraut, peppadews, peach halves, guavas.

Packets: Brown onion soup powder, aromat, instant potato mash, chicken noodle soup powder, potato bake mix, chicken stock, veg stock, beef stock, lamb stock, instant tomato soup, instant beet soup and lots of jelly powder (jello)

Other stuff: Ultramel custard ( ready to eat), long life milk, popcorn, onion flakes, garlic flakes, lime leaves, curry leaves, lotsa hot mustard and granary mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, malt vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown and white grape vinegar.

Cereal: Bran Flakes, Corn Flakes, Oats, Weetbix, Brown Rice Crispies, Strawberry Pronutro and 1 sweet cereal like Cheerios or Otees.

Rye Crispbread, Matzos and a few pkts of crisps.

Spices: I think I have them all lol!

Tea: Green Tea, Jasmine Tea, Hibiscus Tea, Black tea, Rooibos Tea and Ginseng Tea.

Herbs: Too may to mention!

Coffee, cocoa, honey, molasses, syrup, oxo (marmite), peanut butter, cheese spread, sandwich spread.

Lime Cordial, Oros Orange Squash, Lemon Juice, Passion Fruit Cordial.

That's all I can remember right now!

snip, i can't believe you guys--all of you who are writing these lengthy, itemized lists of pantry foods for the 'fun' of it! FUN? what fun?--fun like what, fun like cleaning out an overflowing junk drawer is fun? and me, i can't believe ME, coz here i am ReADING all you guy's long itemized lists of cupboard foods, what used to be called 'staples' (cause they're boring) what is wrong with us?!
too much time on our hands? this reminds me snippers, of the time you accused me of starting a thread simply because i had nothing better to do. you had it right that time, and i think, except for a possible ocd factor, and nosiness (guilty) for another, i'm right about the missing 'fun quotient' of a pantry raid thread. :)
oh, and snip--instant beet soup!:yum: where would i find it, and what form does it come in?

Last edited:
From memory...

Lots of dry pasta - in different shapes, sizes & colors.
Couscous & Arborio rice
San Marzano's, tomato paste, & diced tomatoes
Garlic, onions & potatoes
Oil, vinegar
Clam sauce
Tuna & salmon
Some dried herbs/spices
Some canned veggies (in a pinch) - artichoke hearts, black olives, beets
Chicken broth

My big indoor grill

snip, i can't believe you guys--all of you who are writing these lengthy, itemized lists of pantry foods for the 'fun' of it! FUN? what fun?--fun like what, fun like cleaning out an overflowing junk drawer is fun? and me, i can't believe ME, coz here i am ReADING all you guy's long itemized lists of cupboard foods, what used to be called 'staples' (cause they're boring) what is wrong with us?!
too much time on our hands? this reminds me snippers, of the time you accused me of starting a thread simply because i had nothing better to do. you had it right that time, and i think, except for a possible ocd factor, and nosiness (guilty) for another, i'm right about the missing 'fun quotient' of a pantry raid thread. :)
oh, and snip--instant beet soup!:yum: where would i find it, and what form does it come in?

Well it's true isn't it?! We clearly have too much time for BS on DC ;) :ROFLMAO:
It still beets how to boil and egg :rolleyes:

I get the beetroot soup from my sister in law. Her mom brings it from Poland. You can buy it online.

yep snip, it sure 'beets' egg boiling, which btw, i gotta get done real soon!--going natural this year, been saving onion skins....:) thanks for the beet soup tip, snip.:)

when we finish with the pantry thread, snip, how about starting one on medicine cabinets? that could be interesting, and we could do liquor cabinets after that....:)

Last edited:
yep snip, it sure 'beets' egg boiling, which btw, i gotta get done real soon!--going natural this year, been saving onion skins....:) thanks for the beet soup tip, snip.:)

when we finish with the pantry thread, snip, how about starting one on medicine cabinets? that could be interesting, and we could do liquor cabinets after that....:)

It's a pleasure! The beet soup is fab!

:LOL: Why bother? People will lie about booze and meds ;)

Do you think anyone will admit to the contents of their meds cabinets?

Besides, I keep my vodka in my OMO box ;)

Last edited:
I don't have a medicine cabinet for humans, but you would not believe what I have for canines! Vet wrap is my favorite bandage...and who knew applying xylacaine (sp) topically could stop the pain of a sciatica nerve?

I have a large walk in pantry too, I only listed the things I always have.

Give us something :rolleyes::)

Okay

Tinned tomatoes
Pasta
Tuna
Salmon
Baked Beans
Spaghetti
Loads of sauces/condiments
Muesli Bars
Loads of cereals
Tacos
Flour
Cous Cous
Rice
Chocolate
Cordial
Potatoes and Onions
Coffee
Baking Products
Food processor

to name a few

Medicine cabinet...no medicines...I keep mine in a Serenity (FireFly) Lunchbox. Our linen closet has the rest of the cold medicines and first aid stuff.

Medicine Cabinet - I have no idea. I put stuff in there and it never comes out or gets used. Items that do get used, 4X4's, 2X2's, tape, sulphur cream, meds for psoriasis, soap bars, body powder, etc. are on pull out trays under the bathroom sink. I can barely reach the first shelf in the medicine cabinet.

There was at one time, heroin was under the sink until I called the police. They took it along with my son. He was surprised. Never thought I would turn him in. And he was banned from the building for six months at my request. I wouldn't even take phone calls from him. Tough Love! :angel:

Medicine Cabinet - I have no idea. I put stuff in there and it never comes out or gets used. Items that do get used, 4X4's, 2X2's, tape, sulphur cream, meds for psoriasis, soap bars, body powder, etc. are on pull out trays under the bathroom sink. I can barely reach the first shelf in the medicine cabinet.

There was at one time, heroin was under the sink until I called the police. They took it along with my son. He was surprised. Never thought I would turn him in. And he was banned from the building for six months at my request. I wouldn't even take phone calls from him. Tough Love! :angel:

tough love must be one of the hardest things that a parent ever has to give to one of her children, and to have it come from a loving place. addie, you continue to amaze me, almost daily....:)

It's not always easy doing the right thing. Good for you, hope it turned out ok in the end :)

Okay

Tinned tomatoes
Pasta
Tuna
Salmon
Baked Beans
Spaghetti
Loads of sauces/condiments
Muesli Bars
Loads of cereals
Tacos
Flour
Cous Cous
Rice
Chocolate
Cordial
Potatoes and Onions
Coffee
Baking Products
Food processor

to name a few

Nothing weird in there, you've passed the humanity test :LOL:

Don't think my medicine cabinet hold anything of interest lol!

Just Band Aids, Antiseptic Cream, Swabs, Medical Silver Drops, Paracetamol for the kids, Aspirin, Tums, Tweezers, Scissors, Tampons :p, Deodorant, toothpaste, Face Cream, Tissue Oil, floss and a Spare Toothbrush when the kids have sleepovers.

I keep my Chronic Meds on the top shelf in my pantry. Out of children's reach.

Why on earth am I even typing this? It's a pantry thread!

As for alcohol Vit.. I don't actually keep any in my house, we just buy a few drinks when we're in the mood.

Last edited:
Today he and a childhood friend have started their own plumbing company. :angel:

That's great! I just love a good ending :)
My cousin on the other hand is busy driving my aunt slowly to her death. He's been an alcoholic for years. Currently sleeping under a bridge in the Freestate somewhere. She gets calls from the police so often that she knows them all by name. He's robbed her home several times....
It's so sad :(

While the salsa is "melding," I thought I'd clean out my small pantry closet...interestingly enough, it now contains a large container of sand from Lake of the Woods. Why? I use it to clean my cast-iron pans. I wonder how many other keep a container of sand in the kitchen?

Back
Top Bottom