What's on Your Mind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i am thinking that on friday 9/18 mom will be gone 4 years.

so I'm thinking, FINALLY, I will be able to participate in these, aww, look what celebrity just died threads, and I will have actually heard of the person:LOL:...

wrong again beth..

nobody reminescing about Mary Travers today?

so I'm thinking, FINALLY, I will be able to participate in these, aww, look what celebrity just died threads, and I will have actually heard of the person:LOL:...

wrong again beth..

nobody reminescing about Mary Travers today?
PUFF!!

...whether to pour and build a square or round foundation...

Aesthetcally, and environmentally, I'm thinking round, with a dome house on top. Practically, I'm thinking rectangular, but utilyzing every energy saving strategy possible, such as great insulation, lot of south facing glazing with high performance E-Glass, overhangs to block the summer sun from entering the home, use 4 foot deep buried PVC pipes to pre-cool air before it enters the house in the summer, and pre-heat it in the winter, Evacuated tube solar water heating unit to provide hot water needs (and possibly space heating if sized large eough), and use re-cycled wood materials to add character and beauty to the inside, as well as to save cost. I'd use natural lighting brought in by light pipes in the day, and use LEd lightling at night (I'm slowly converting all of my light bulbs in my house to LED lighting. It lasts 7 years or more, and uses about 3 wats per fixture compared to 40 for an incandescent bulb, or 15 for a compact flourescent, and has no mercury in it. Use sustainable floor materials such as cork, whose bark is stripped from the tree and allowed to grow back so as to harvest again.

Contact someone like Rocky Mountain Institute for ideas for creating an affordable, energy self-sustaining home, that is a joy to live in.

I wish I was in the position to sell my existing house and design a new one for me and my wife. If I had only known then what I know now. If the technology was available then as it is now.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Aesthetcally, and environmentally, I'm thinking round, with a dome house on top. Practically, I'm thinking rectangular, but utilyzing every energy saving strategy possible, such as great insulation, lot of south facing glazing with high performance E-Glass, overhangs to block the summer sun from entering the home, use 4 foot deep buried PVC pipes to pre-cool air before it enters the house in the summer, and pre-heat it in the winter, Evacuated tube solar water heating unit to provide hot water needs (and possibly space heating if sized large eough), and use re-cycled wood materials to add character and beauty to the inside, as well as to save cost. I'd use natural lighting brought in by light pipes in the day, and use LEd lightling at night (I'm slowly converting all of my light bulbs in my house to LED lighting. It lasts 7 years or more, and uses about 3 wats per fixture compared to 40 for an incandescent bulb, or 15 for a compact flourescent, and has no mercury in it. Use sustainable floor materials such as cork, whose bark is stripped from the tree and allowed to grow back so as to harvest again.

Contact someone like Rocky Mountain Institute for ideas for creating an affordable, energy self-sustaining home, that is a joy to live in.

I wish I was in the position to sell my existing house and design a new one for me and my wife. If I had only known then what I know now. If the technology was available then as it is now.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Interesting thought!

But I was thinking about a foundation for my wood fired brick pizza oven project. :D

Interesting thought!

But I was thinking about a foundation for my wood fired brick pizza oven project. :D

Wow! Was I ever off base on that one.:ROFLMAO: I have to agree that you don't need the ideas I gave you for a wood-fired brick oven. I mean, can you imagine, a cooling pipe buried 4 feet deep to provide fresh air for a brick oven?:LOL:

With respect to this thread's theme, I'm thinking that I'm going to close my mouth now.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom