"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #1171
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I will agree 100% on this one!! I had looked it on yahoo movies to see what it was, had not heard of it, showed it only made $900,000 +, now we know why!!
I can't believe I sat through the whole thing!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #1172
Chef Extraordinaire

hmgal, o brother and local hero are great flicks. the former has great music, and the latter great wit.

i watched "alpha dog" tonight. are there such things as movies which provide not redeeming value, and are potentially (probably actually) harmful and dangerous to young people?
this movie had childish values, both artistically and socially, and not in any way that could be counted as good. not even in contrast. bruce willis, sharon stone, and the rest of the cast should never win an award ever again just for being part of this trash.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #1173
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I watched The Bucket List the other night, not a funny as I thought it would be, but a good movie.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #1174
Chief Eating Officer

We watched 28 weeks later. DW had to sleep with the light on until I came to bed. I thought is was OK, but nothing great.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #1175
Cook

I watched Jumper last night, it was pretty good IMO. I watched RAMBO earlier this week as well... definitely a RAMBO movie.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #1176
Executive Chef

My daughter forced me to watch I Am Legend. I may never forgive her. Two thumbs way down. I hated that movie more than any other I've seen this year.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #1177
Chief Eating Officer

I watched Alpha Dog last night. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. It was way better than I expected. I also did not know that it was a true story.

It was too loud and too vulgar for my wife though. They said the F word a few hundred times. That got old to her real quick.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #1178
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, gb, see my "review" of it a few posts up.

imo, it was as if they asked a bunch of young guys what they'd like to do in a movie. get high, drink a lot, have sex, pretend to be tough, shoot some guns and get into fights.
it actually makes a little more sense if it was based on a true story, but still, i hope there's not too many young rich kids that will be influenced to act like that.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #1179
Chief Eating Officer

Well hopefully if those young rich kids do decide to stray they will have watched the movie to the end and see that it does not pay.

I went into this movie expecting it to be worse than horrible so maybe that expectation made me enjoy it more when it didn't completely suck. Did you go in expecting it to be good BT?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #1180
Master Chef

10,0000 BC, not a bad movie, I am not so sure they couldn't have worked it out so they didn't need the narration, and they got kinda weird with what apparently was supposed to be the Egyptian Pharaoh or something and that he had just descended from the sky or come from Atlantis with two others that were now dead.
Not that the idea of using Platos accounts as related from the Egyptian records isn't an interesting idea, I just think they weirded it out a little and left me wondering where the hunters tribe was actually located and what lands he actually crossed.. IE trying to match geography and history took away from the movie in this case IMHO.