"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #1831
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenG View Post
My boyfriend talked me into seeing Taken which I was timid about since I like happy movies. He really enjoyed it, but it just freaked me out. I asked him how he would feel if he was in my position as a young female...
It's a guy film. I completely understand your position...although I've spoken to several females who really enjoyed the film.

I love chick flicks. I just got done watching Nights In Rodanthe with Richard gere and Diane Lane on the dish network. This romance film made me cry.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #1832
Chef Extraordinaire

there are good chick flicks and bad ones........

Good: Must Love Dogs (also w/Diane Lane)
Bad: Under the Tuscan Sun (also w/Diane Lane)

Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #1833
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
In other words, you listened to gunshots and screeching tires the whole time....
You got it
kades
Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 AM   #1834
Traveling Welcome Wagon

"Fireproof." We loved it! We cried, we laughed, we watched wide-eyed during the rescue scenes, we cried some more. James and my best friend Christi agreed with me that every married couple (and every future married couple) should see it.

Barbara
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #1835
Head Chef

We watched two movies over the weekend:

Bottleshock - pretty good, so made me want to to Napa (and Paris again!)

Young @ Heart - great documentary about a senior citizens choral group - they sang rock songs by the Clash, Ramones, Talking Heads, Sonic Youth. It was a very cute little film, I enjoyed it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #1836
Chef Extraordinaire

holocaust (spelling) took three nights, first two each three hours, the last an hour and a half. followed a jewish family from first stirring of war and through it. well done, meryle streep and james woods among others. best of the type i have see.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #1837
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
holocaust (spelling) took three nights, first two each three hours, the last an hour and a half. followed a jewish family from first stirring of war and through it. well done, meryle streep and james woods among others. best of the type i have see.
I saw that one, too, Babe...............first time I saw James Woods' acting skills.......he was so good.........and I cried.........

you watched a better one than I did............I watched Pretty Baby with Brooke Shields........ok.......I'll admit it.......in certain scenarios.......I'm a prude.......my goodness.......how did her mother justify this movie role??? I would be aghast at my daughter (prenubile) accepting a role like this one just to further her career along..........she could not have been more than 13 or 14 years old and was playing a prostitute who still had childlike qualities.........I just watched in unbelievable wonder.........certainly there is going to be some form or texture to this movie and I guess that I'm dumb as I never saw it.........it was sad and pathetic........ok, enough ranting........I just keep thinking of allowing my daughter to play a role like this one and I can't.............
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #1838
Master Chef

Bought a dvd at Sam's Club , called Fireproof. It's an inspirational story of a marriage saved.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #1839
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
I saw that when it was originally on TV and loved it. It is very moving. We bought the DVD set a few months ago but haven't had a chance to see it. James hasn't seen it yet, and I think everyone should.

Barbara
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #1840
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Confessions of a Shopaholic was really fun to watch with my daughter. The one that really made an impact was The Secret Life of Bees that's on DVD now.