What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara said:
VeraBlue,
My son and daughter in law saw it and told us it's the best movie they have seen this year - sub-titles - it's not in many theaters here, we will see it for sure.

People tend to shy away from subtitled movies...not because they cannot read, but because they fear missing something while they are reading, something visual. You won't miss a thing, couldn't possibly. My daughter and some roommates are going to see it this evening. You're right, it's not playing in overmany theatres. If you can find it, it's worth it. I believe it already won some foreign award.

VeraBlue said:
Pan's Labyrinth - magnificent, brilliantly directed and lighted. Stellar.

Cant wait to see this!

We also saw Night at the Museum couple weeks ago and loved it! :LOL:

We downloaded Children of Men, hope to watch it one night this week.

Last movie I saw at the theater was some kids movie and it wasn't very good so the name is not imbedded in my brain :LOL: .

Relative Strangers was the last DVD we rented to watch at home. It was okay....had some funny moments.... but not one I'd rent again.

I am thrilled to learn that Pan's Labyrinthe is worth seeing. I was going to see it with a friend when I was back in UK but didn't for some reason, and now DH was doubting whther it was worth renting....we not rent films very often, but I'll tell him now I have heard from real people, not just critics, that we should rent it!

richard attenborough's "gandhi".

one of my all time favourites. it's difficult not to be inspired by this movie. every time i watch it, i come away with another set of ideas and great quotes to ponder.

"poverty is the worst form of violence" was one from last night.

Last edited:
Other movies I have seen -
The Departed
Little Miss Sunshine - Alan Arkin is great in this
Pursuit of Happyness - a little slow, but you gotta love the father/son
The Illusionist - Ed Norton is very good
Devil Wears Prada - okay

Oh yea I forgot The Queen with Helen Mirren - she's great, takes place during the week Diane is killed in that car crash. Tony Blair is new in office. Interesting stuff.

Barbara said:
Little Miss Sunshine - Alan Arkin is great in this
I saw this not too long ago as well. I thought the movie was OK, but I agree Alan Arkin was amazing.

Are we talking new release? If so, I have no idea.

If not, Mrs. Big Dog and I just watched the 4 Harry Potter movies over the last couple days.

I saw the Last King of Scotland 2 weeks ago. It was good but I didnt really care for the guy who played the Scottish doctor. It was very violent too and some of the plot was a bit clicheed.

We watched 'Mozart and the Whale' on DVD a couple of days ago. This is a 'based on a true story' love story featuring Josh Hartnett as a young man with Asperger's Syndrome as he tries to build a relationship with a woman who is also on the Autism Spectrum. Very interesting and compelling. Certainly worth watching.

Oh, yeah... we also watched 'Saw' and 'Saw II'. They were pretty good, if you like that kind of thing... and we kinda do.

HH bought The Guardian and we watched it over the weekend. It was better than I expected, especially since I'm not so keen on Kostner anymore. Young lad Ashton had a very good performance, and some of the parts were played by actual Coast Guard rescue swimmers.

Little Miss Sunshine was not as good as I was hoping, although I agree about Alan Arkin's role.

Still wanna see
Flags of Our Fathers (Uncle Bob/Katie & Buck, the book is great!)
The Queen
Notes on a Scandal (don't care if it's bad, I love Judi Dench)
Children of Men
Music & Lyrics (with Hugh GRant and Drew Barrymore) - saw trailers for this and it looks like a fun rom-com
Because I Said So (with Diane Keaton and the guy who plays the dad on Seventh Heaven) - same reason

I watched Little Miss Sunshine and found it disgusting! A little girl saying that her grandfather told her how to dance to a strip song?!?!?!?!? :sick: Her grandfather is on coke?! OR meth?! And then she does some kind of strip tease with out taking off all her clothes? This is DISGUSTING! This movie should be banned from any TV or movie theatre.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I watched Little Miss Sunshine and found it disgusting! A little girl saying that her grandfather told her how to dance to a strip song?!?!?!?!? :sick: Her grandfather is on coke?! OR meth?! And then she does some kind of strip tease with out taking off all her clothes? This is DISGUSTING! This movie should be banned from any TV or movie theatre.

I thought that movie was hysterical! It was clearly the epitome of a dysfunctional family, yet....they had affection (ha) for each other and were clearly trying to stick it out. Each one of them was as naive as 5 year olds, yet had positions of authority.
And that group dance at the end??!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...it was a family that stuck together, right to the eventual sentencing!
I'm so sorry you didn't see it for the satire it was.

lulu said:
I am thrilled to learn that Pan's Labyrinthe is worth seeing. I was going to see it with a friend when I was back in UK but didn't for some reason, and now DH was doubting whther it was worth renting....we not rent films very often, but I'll tell him now I have heard from real people, not just critics, that we should rent it!
I found it a very hard movie to watch because of the content.
BE AWARE that it is an R rated movie.
It has been described as an "adult fairy tale horror film" - quite the combo.
It is increadibly well done but disturbing.
Just be prepared to see something different than you have probably ever seen before.
:(

Back
Top Bottom