"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #201
Senior Cook

Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #202
Master Chef

We watched Happy Feet the other night. It was okay but the plot moved a bit slower than DH could stand. This afternoon I watched Cotton Patch Gospel. Very good musical about the Gospel if Jesus were born in modern day American South. Funny and music by Harry Chapin is awesome.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #203
Senior Cook

In the theatre, "Borat", funny but not as good as the Ali G Show.

At home (not including "Barney"), "FlightPlan" with Jodie Foster. It was a bit far fetched but entertaining none the less.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #204
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We saw Bridge to Terabithia the other night. Beautiful film, though, as it was so with Cronicles of Narnia, the background scenery had some room for improvement. Kids were great, I especially liked the little sis of Jesse.
However I was rather shocked to learn that according to the original story Lesley wasn't supposed to die. It seemed rather unnecessary to me as well, and now I wonder why the heck the film makers had to kill her off.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #205
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
No, she does die in the story. I read it recently for a course I'm taking called Children's Lit. Haven't seen the movie yet, but so far I've heard that they changed a lot of what was in the book before bringing it to the big screen. Maybe that's why Leslie's death seemed unnecessary? In the book it worked well. . . gave the plot a bittersweet ending and had me thinking about it long after I'd finished. I'll have to see the movie to further determine all this.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #206
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Cherryred, thanks for the input... now I would really like to read the original story.

Yesterday I saw the Illusionist. GB is right, it was a brilliant film, so good it was worthy of getting into my all time fave list!! I will stop at that as I would like everyone to see it and fully enjoy this extraordinary film!!

Firewater, now I will go check out "the prestige" as soon as I get a chance... looks really good, too!!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #207
Cook

Prestige is highly recommended here, as is the Illusionist. Both movies had me shaking my head in the last five minutes saying to myself "How did I miss that???"

Just watched The Good Shepherd. I love a good spy flick - not James Bond, with explosions every three minutes, but an acutal storyline of intrigue - and this one did not disappoint.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #208
Head Chef

We just watched the documentary about John Lennon called "the U.S. vs. John Lennon" - it was about how the FBI and Nixon thought Lennon could turn support in the U.S. away from the Vietnam War - really very interesting. Lots of good footage and interviews.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #209
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
The Illusionist was great! I'd definitely reccommend it to anyone looking for new movies to see.

Last night I finally saw The Departed. That's another one that's worth seeing.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #210
Master Chef

Inside Man... that was fairly decent... one you need to pay attention to. I can't wait to see the Illusionist... I love Ed Norton!!!