"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #2441
Senior Cook

I gave my fiance a copy of the Schoolhouse Rock DVD a few years back when it first came out. She's a naturalized South African native, and is completely lost among all of these seventies era pop culture references. She's also studying to be a teacher and has managed to get some use out of it.

Fiona and Dave have you seen Shock Treatment? It's a sort of sequel to RHPS. Good music, not so good a movie. It came out on DVD last year or maybe the year before.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #2442
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Fiona and Dave have you seen Shock Treatment? It's a sort of sequel to RHPS. Good music, not so good a movie. It came out on DVD last year or maybe the year before.
Yes I have, years ago. From what I remember it was pretty bad.. and all I really remember was there was a song about a toaster. I'll have to look for it on DVD, could be fun to see it again.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #2443
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
and all I really remember was there was a song about a toaster. .
I think that's the very first song in the movie, where Janet is singing to her kitchen appliances about how unhappy she is with Brad.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #2444
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Yes, I think it was.

We are watching right now a really funny-bad movie called Grandma's Boy with Doris Roberts and Shirley Jones.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #2445
Assistant Cook

Last month, i watch the 3D movie "Avatar", fantastic. Everybody should watch it.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #2446
Head Chef

I strongly recommend 'Everybody's Fine' starring Robert DeNiro, Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsdale. Anyone with adult children, or anyone who has aging parents, will be moved by this film. What can I say? I was prepared to watch a light comedy. Turns out it's not for laughs although there are some clever, funny moments. It's a very subtle movie that snuck up on me and unleashed emotions I thought were long dormant. After the last scene, I was surprised to find myself sobbing. Great film.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #2447
Master Chef

Tried to watch A Night At The Museum w/ Ben Stiller, but couldn't take it anymore. What a stupid movie.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #2448
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Tried to watch A Night At The Museum w/ Ben Stiller, but couldn't take it anymore. What a stupid movie.
The first one or the sequel? I liked both, but thought the sequel was much more funny.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #2449
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
I strongly recommend 'Everybody's Fine' starring Robert DeNiro, Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsdale. Anyone with adult children, or anyone who has aging parents, will be moved by this film. What can I say? I was prepared to watch a light comedy. Turns out it's not for laughs although there are some clever, funny moments. It's a very subtle movie that snuck up on me and unleashed emotions I thought were long dormant. After the last scene, I was surprised to find myself sobbing. Great film.
I have been wanting to see that movie, but as I am caring for an elderly parent with dementia I'm not sure I can handle it. I watched The Notebook w/ James Garner & Gena Rowlands a few weeks ago and bawled my eyes out. I will see Everybody's Fine when I think I can handle it or need a good cry.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #2450
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
The first one or the sequel? I liked both, but thought the sequel was much more funny.
The first one.