"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #2441
Senior Cook
 
JamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 264
I gave my fiance a copy of the Schoolhouse Rock DVD a few years back when it first came out. She's a naturalized South African native, and is completely lost among all of these seventies era pop culture references. She's also studying to be a teacher and has managed to get some use out of it.

Fiona and Dave have you seen Shock Treatment? It's a sort of sequel to RHPS. Good music, not so good a movie. It came out on DVD last year or maybe the year before.
__________________

__________________
JamesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #2442
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Fiona and Dave have you seen Shock Treatment? It's a sort of sequel to RHPS. Good music, not so good a movie. It came out on DVD last year or maybe the year before.
Yes I have, years ago. From what I remember it was pretty bad.. and all I really remember was there was a song about a toaster. I'll have to look for it on DVD, could be fun to see it again.
__________________

__________________
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #2443
Senior Cook
 
JamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
and all I really remember was there was a song about a toaster. .
I think that's the very first song in the movie, where Janet is singing to her kitchen appliances about how unhappy she is with Brad.
__________________
JamesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #2444
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Yes, I think it was.

We are watching right now a really funny-bad movie called Grandma's Boy with Doris Roberts and Shirley Jones.
__________________
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #2445
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 4
Last month, i watch the 3D movie "Avatar", fantastic. Everybody should watch it.
__________________
kobenigri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #2446
Head Chef
 
Chopstix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,323
I strongly recommend 'Everybody's Fine' starring Robert DeNiro, Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsdale. Anyone with adult children, or anyone who has aging parents, will be moved by this film. What can I say? I was prepared to watch a light comedy. Turns out it's not for laughs although there are some clever, funny moments. It's a very subtle movie that snuck up on me and unleashed emotions I thought were long dormant. After the last scene, I was surprised to find myself sobbing. Great film.
__________________
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #2447
Master Chef
 
getoutamykitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasco County, Florida
Posts: 5,658
Tried to watch A Night At The Museum w/ Ben Stiller, but couldn't take it anymore. What a stupid movie.
__________________
Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #2448
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Tried to watch A Night At The Museum w/ Ben Stiller, but couldn't take it anymore. What a stupid movie.
The first one or the sequel? I liked both, but thought the sequel was much more funny.
__________________
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #2449
Master Chef
 
getoutamykitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasco County, Florida
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
I strongly recommend 'Everybody's Fine' starring Robert DeNiro, Drew Barrymore, Kate Beckinsdale. Anyone with adult children, or anyone who has aging parents, will be moved by this film. What can I say? I was prepared to watch a light comedy. Turns out it's not for laughs although there are some clever, funny moments. It's a very subtle movie that snuck up on me and unleashed emotions I thought were long dormant. After the last scene, I was surprised to find myself sobbing. Great film.
I have been wanting to see that movie, but as I am caring for an elderly parent with dementia I'm not sure I can handle it. I watched The Notebook w/ James Garner & Gena Rowlands a few weeks ago and bawled my eyes out. I will see Everybody's Fine when I think I can handle it or need a good cry.
__________________
Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #2450
Master Chef
 
getoutamykitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasco County, Florida
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
The first one or the sequel? I liked both, but thought the sequel was much more funny.
The first one.
__________________

__________________
Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.