"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #2461
Senior Cook

Over the weekend, I watched:

Astroboy: I don't know why I rented this one. I didn't like the original series in the sixties, and didn't care for the spiffy CGI movie either. I really liked a lot of the sixties and seventies Japanese imports, Speed Racer, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Ultraman, Kimba the White Lion, Gigantor, and probably others I can't remember off the top of my head. But Astroboy, I just never found Astroboy amusing.

Surrogates: Pretty much exactly what you would expect. Not bad. Nothing to write home about.

Patriot Games: One Jack Ryan movie is pretty much the same as the next.

Crimson Tide: One of my all time favorite submarine movies...and there are a lot of great submarine movies. Grey Lady Down, Das Boot, U-571, Operation Petticoat!

Welcome to Mooseport: I always enjoy this one. Ray Romano and Maura Tierny are are great together...and Gene Hackman, what more needs to be said?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #2462
Cook

Alice in Wonderland .... well mmm good movie (no more)

http://www.2day2eat.com
2day2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #2463
Master Chef

Last night we watched Hair. Gotta love the 60's culture trip. My 25 yo son watched with us. Created a lot of discussion!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #2464
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Last night we watched Hair. Gotta love the 60's culture trip. My 25 yo son watched with us. Created a lot of discussion!
I haven't seen that in so long! It would be great seeing it now.

Last night we went to see Avatar finally. We rarely go to the theatre to see a movie any more but wanted to see it there first (ironically on the last day before it comes out in video today). Wasn't 3D. I hated it at first and was wondering how I was going to endure 3 hours of sitting there (which is not easy for me anyway) but it grew on me.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #2465
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I haven't seen that in so long! It would be great seeing it now.

Last night we went to see Avatar finally. We rarely go to the theatre to see a movie any more but wanted to see it there first (ironically on the last day before it comes out in video today). Wasn't 3D. I hated it at first and was wondering how I was going to endure 3 hours of sitting there (which is not easy for me anyway) but it grew on me.

I am not sure it is all that good of a movie without the 3D. It was very immersive. We saw it in IMAX 3D and the flight scenes in the trees.. well.. my drop still drops.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #2466
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Crimson Tide: One of my all time favorite submarine movies...and there are a lot of great submarine movies. Grey Lady Down, Das Boot, U-571, Operation Petticoat
Aren't you missing "The Hunt for Red October", "The Yellow Submarine", "Spy Kids # whatever"? But I do agree with you on "Crimson Tide" - one of my all time favourites too. I love submarine and ship movies as well.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #2467
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hearts and Souls from 1993...love it!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #2468
Certified Pretend Chef

The Blindside. It came out on DVD and cable and we caught it on Pay-Per-View. We liked it.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #2469
Sous Chef

I saw the stage production of "Hair", in the '60's...I had no idea what to expect as it was my 1st time to the theatre ever!! We went to see it because it was the 1st time people took their clothes off on stage lol...what a load of perverts we were! I think I was 17 or 18 I simply had no idea it was about hippies & the Vietnam war, I remember I absolutely loved the music....now I can't wait to see to see it again...wonder if it's changed?

Last film I saw...Shutter Island give that one 7/10
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #2470
Senior Cook

I've got Where the Wild Things Are playing right now. It's closing in on the end, and I'm not loving it.

Just like Bridge to Terabithia, this movie isn't what I expected. With nothing to go on but the trailer, I wasn't expecting it to be such a downer. Terabithia was also a downer, but a well done, well acted downer with a likable cast and a really good story.

Wild Things is just annoying. The kid should really be sent to military school or eaten by the beasties....and the music director should be forced to listen to his own soundtrack (that's punishment enough).