What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night it was "Coming Home," what was originally BBC TV. It was not my cup of tea, but I did enjoy seeing Keira Knightly as a teenager -- date of the filming was 1998. I didn't know she was in the business that long ago. She was such a pretty youngster.

Two nights ago I enjoyed very much the second viewing of "Vatel," a delicious portrayal of the French King Louis XIV (Julian Sands) on a short visit to the countryside estate of one of his minions and the lengths to which all concerned strove to honor (and not annoy) the King. I thought of Mel Brooks' "It's Good to be King." Talk about pulling out all the stops!

The cast was wonderful...Uma Thurman, Tim Roth -- soooo good, at his conniving, scornful best, and starring Gerard Depardieu as Vatel, who was in charge of all the food and entertainment. The depictions of the kitchens and preparation of glorious foods was a feast for the eyes. I must Google to see if/how accurate the story is -- it was said to be a true story. It was interesting to see that the King even had a "royal wiper" after his noisy attempt to move his bowels.

A gorgeous film all around.

i watched "the right stuff" this morning.

great flick.

I am a history buff. And considering my age, I have lived through a lot of movies that the present generation only read about or hear from their parents. As a result of my age, I know how it ends. That takes away the unknown ending for me. I love WWII movies, but they have to have a second story line to hold me. I know how the war ends. I don't know what happens to a certain character and that is what hold my interest.

I remember being glued to the TV and hoping that it all turns out all right. All of America was glue to the TV with me.

One of the story lines that have never been shown is that a lot of the astronauts have become divorced. The wives found the whole experience of being in the spotlight very disturbing and disruptive to their family life. I would love to see a story along these lines. What publicity can do to a family. :angel:

Don't care for soaps.

Watched "Snow White and the Huntsman" , and liked it!

Barbara L said:
We watched "Schindler's List" last night. I had never seen it before. Very moving.

A great movie but I can't wrap my head around the cruelty and total disregard for human compassion and decency of the nazis .

Pure evil incarnate.

It's important to remember that "the holocaust" is but one in a long line seen throughout history.

The crusades, the Salem witch trials, the crimes against humanity of pol pot, Idi Amin, Uganda, Rwanda, the Spanish inquisition etc. and presently the islamofascist (never to be confused with Muslim) holocauast against "the infidel).

There are so many that it boggles my mind and I'm sure that I've left out so many.

Sorry to be so maudlin.

A great movie but I can't wrap my head around the cruelty and total disregard for human compassion and decency of the nazis .

Pure evil incarnate.

It's important to remember that "the holocaust" is but one in a long line seen throughout history.

The crusades, the Salem witch trials, the crimes against humanity of pol pot, Idi Amin, Uganda, Rwanda, the Spanish inquisition etc. and presently the islamofascist (never to be confused with Muslim) holocauast against "the infidel).

There are so many that it boggles my mind and I'm sure that I've left out so many.

Sorry to be so maudlin.

Nobody ever mentions the way we pushed the Native Americans out of our way ;)

The last seen in Apocalypto comes to mind.

You're right, Pac. Enjoyed that movie, really bloody!

There is also a book, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. Haven't read it, but I should.

Last edited:
You're right, Pac. Enjoyed that movie, really bloody!

There is also a book, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. Haven't read it, but I should.

All of us should read Wounded Knee...and many other books that will make you sick at the inhumanity of man. Only by reading about our collective past can we hopefully avoid the same things in the future. One group left off the list above is the Japanese-Americans and Italian-Americans who were held in camps, here in the United States. I can't forget them, my God-Mother was held in such a camp.

pacanis said:
Nobody ever mentions the way we pushed the Native Americans out of our way ;)

That didn't come immediately to mind but I thought of it after my post.

You're absolutely right. The indigenous peoples of the Americas were subjected to a holocaust perpetrated by Europeans from the southern tip of Chile to the arctic circle.

As far as our internment camps during WWII go.... Although the treatment of those prisoners and the confiscation of their property was a travesty they were not slaughtered. Not a holocaust IMO.

It's important to note that many immigrant and native males of fighting age volunteered to serve in our military prove their love of and loyalty to their adopted/native country. They served with honor and distinction and many of them never saw the US again.

The Navajo code talkers very likely saved us from defeat.

http://www.navajocodetalkers.org/

That didn't come immediately to mind but I thought of it after my post.

You're absolutely right. The indigenous peoples of the Americas were subjected to a holocaust perpetrated by Europeans from the southern tip of Chile to the arctic circle.

As far as our internment camps during WWII go.... Although the treatment of those prisoners and the confiscation of their property was a travesty they were not slaughtered. Not a holocaust IMO.

It's important to note that many immigrant and native males of fighting age volunteered to serve in our military prove their love of and loyalty to their adopted/native country. They served with honor and distinction and many of them never saw the US again.

The Navajo code talkers very likely saved us from defeat.

Official Site of the Navajo Code Talkers

When I worked for Wyeth Pharaceutical we had a woman who was a Navejo. I mentioned the Code Talkers to her. She told me that growing up on the reservation, she never heard of them until the movie came out. She asked her uncle about it. She knew he served in the PTO. He was surprised that she knew. They kept the secret until the movie was released. Even then, he was reluctant to talk to her about it. She hounded him until he opened up with her. It definitely gave her a sense of pride. She saw the movie more than once. :angel:

When I worked for Wyeth Pharaceutical we had a woman who was a Navejo. I mentioned the Code Talkers to her. She told me that growing up on the reservation, she never heard of them until the movie came out. She asked her uncle about it. She knew he served in the PTO. He was surprised that she knew. They kept the secret until the movie was released. Even then, he was reluctant to talk to her about it. She hounded him until he opened up with her. It definitely gave her a sense of pride. She saw the movie more than once. :angel:
It wasn't much of a secret before the movie. I knew about them for years through high school history classes and other sources since. I love the movie and am glad it showed more people what a great contribution the code talkers made.

The code talkers were forbidden to discuss the program until well after the war.

It doesn't surprise me that many of them kept it to themselves until well after the program became declassified.

Many vets don't like to discuss their service even with those closest to them.

Yes it is a great source of pride amongst Navajos and should be.

Back
Top Bottom