What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After Memorial Day, I watched Apocalypse Now Redux. The movie seemed a little different with the extra footage. Then, again, I haven't seen it in a while. Still, a great movie & great cast.

It seems every time it's on it's Redux. I haven't seen the original in so long I don't even recognize the extra footage.

it took me a while to warm to matt damon too. an even bigger sin in moviedom--i am only now getting ready to like leonardo dicaprio. i think he looks like the gatsby i envisioned in the book. i have never thought him handsome, or possessing sex appeal which for a leading man, seems to be a desirable, if not necessary trait to have....

Re Leonardo, did you see What's Eating Gilbert Grape? That's been quite some time ago, when Leo was just a kid. I really thought they had hired a boy with a disability -- like I thought Gary Sinese in Forest Gump was actually an amputee. Johnny Depp was very good as Gilbert Grape; Juliet Lewis as his girlfriend. I always thought it a shame that very good, poignant film was stuck with such a frivolous-sounding title.

that's what my girl says too--'but mom, have you seen him in what's eating gilbert grape?' i think i may check it out later today. but now my desire for seeing gatsby is in a decline, so....

i have just signed up for a 30 day free trial of amazon prime, so i can stream movies. what do you say, good move/bad move? i will watch 'what is eating gilbert grape for my first 'free' movie. at $6.66/mo., i figure i need to watch 3 or 4 worthwhile movies or so. i am very hard to please when it comes to movies. i don't generally like most popular films, and not even most popular genres today.but i guess i have those 30 days to figure out if it is worthwhile for me or not.

is there anything else that my amazon prime is good for besides viewing movies online?

can i hear from someone of you who is a member already, and likes or doesn't like the service? my hulu plus iwill be expiring shortly....

i sometimes wonder, how did i manage my life before dc. i bet some of you think that about me too....:)

Last edited:
Not a movie but the season finale of GOT was watched here last night.

Winter is coming, then spring and, hopefully, a new season.

i have just signed up for a 30 day free trial of amazon prime, so i can stream movies. what do you say, good move/bad move? i will watch 'what is eating gilbert grape for my first 'free' movie. at $6.66/mo., i figure i need to watch 3 or 4 worthwhile movies or so. i am very hard to please when it comes to movies. i don't generally like most popular films, and not even most popular genres today.but i guess i have those 30 days to figure out if it is worthwhile for me or not.

is there anything else that my amazon prime is good for besides viewing movies online?

can i hear from someone of you who is a member already, and likes or doesn't like the service? my hulu plus iwill be expiring shortly....

i sometimes wonder, how did i manage my life before dc. i bet some of you think that about me too....:)

I don't watch a lot on Amazon Prime. Netflix offers more with CC, so I watch more movies on Netflix. Netflix recently upgraded, too and their streaming options is great now. Better than before even. AP also seems a bit more family oriented in their offerings, too. I prefer edgier stuff. Still, I'm sure I get my worth out of them, if only for the free 2-day shipping on a lot of items and the occasional movie or program (Downton Abby for one).

The last movie I watched was a Christopher Guest movie this morning. Waiting on Guffman or something like that. Too lazy to verify the exact title. It was good just like his other mockumentaries.
The second to last movie I saw was last night, Caged it was called. One of those 'innocent girl sent to women's prison' movies, but it was on TCM, so it was a 1950 movie. It was refreshing to see this type of movie without the usual "violence" associated with the more modern versions.

The last movie I watched was a Christopher Guest movie this morning. Waiting on Guffman or something like that. Too lazy to verify the exact title. It was good just like his other mockumentaries.
The second to last movie I saw was last night, Caged it was called. One of those 'innocent girl sent to women's prison' movies, but it was on TCM, so it was a 1950 movie. It was refreshing to see this type of movie without the usual "violence" associated with the more modern versions.

I remember seeing that as a kid. It starred Eleanor Parker. Good Movie. Must of been for me to remember it. :angel:

That's the one. And Agnes Moorehead.

That is why years later her face seemed so familiar, but I could never place it. Thank you. I think the reason I remember the movie so well, is that as a teenager I was a big fan of E. Parker. I thought she was so beautiful. And I loved the sound of her voice. So rich. :angel:

An oldie on Netflix DVD - A Death in the Family. The leading man was our friend John Slattery, silver-haired Roger Sterling in Mad Men. He was a dashing redhead, not flaming, but definitely red, with a very nice voice. I think the date was 2002. Sad, but pretty good.

Before that was The Master - Philip Seymour Hoffman leading, another role into which he disappeared completely, and a Joaquin Phoenix performance that was just riveting. He was so gaunt and different I wasn't even sure it was him. An unsettling movie to watch.

Vit, you might try Fitzcarraldo with Klaus Kinski and Claudia Cardinale if you like something entirely different.

Has anyone seen any GOOD, food, culinary. chefs, cooks, waiters etc. movies on DVD lately? Some of my favorites are '' Big night'' with Stanley Tucci, ''The ''Ramen Girl'' with the late Brittany Murphy ,''Mostly Martha'' [''No Reservations'' with Catherine Zeta Jones was based on this German film] And surprisingly I enjoyed ''Ratatouille''. I know many more are available.I am looking for suggestions. Thanks mysterchef

Free 2 day shipping is an awesome perk too with prime. You can upgrade shipping even further cheap with prime. We have both prime and Netflix. I wouldn't have prime if it was just streaming, I really like the prime shipping, I often just order from amazon instead of going to a store because of prime.

I don't watch a lot on Amazon Prime. Netflix offers more with CC, so I watch more movies on Netflix. Netflix recently upgraded, too and their streaming options is great now. Better than before even. AP also seems a bit more family oriented in their offerings, too. I prefer edgier stuff. Still, I'm sure I get my worth out of them, if only for the free 2-day shipping on a lot of items and the occasional movie or program (Downton Abby for one).

ty pac, and sorry to be so dense but I thought I was already getting free shipping for most of my amazon purchases, so...?

hunger games was my second 'streamer', so, auspicious start for me and ap. gilbert grape--phenomenal acting, hokey ending. but, you watch a movie like gg for its strong characters and theme, the story itself is not key, imo. hunger games was also well cast with very good, solid performances across the board. I hope to see a sequel of hunger games in the future....

more movie suggestions please?:)....anything dramatic, dark, blue, grifty-gritty, symbolic, depressing, realistic, artistic--is what I like in a well acted, skillfully directed, artfully filmed movie...not asking for much, am I... :)

Last edited:
You do, Vit, but Prime upgrades it to two-day and includes more stuff in their free shipping. Of course, there's a lot of items not included, too...

Back
Top Bottom