What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I downloaded it from VLC--I thought it was VLS. If you can get your hands on Kitchen Stories it is quite good.

Do you mind if I private message you for more information? Or I could start a new thread so this thread doesn't get hi-jacked. Let me know which you would prefer or if you prefer not to. (I won't get my feelings hurt.)

Cave, I am also hearing impaired. I require the tv sound up a few clicks more than DH does. It annoys him. It also annoys my son who comes to our house and yells that the TV is up so loud he could hear it out in the driveway. He seems to forget his teen years when he used to play his stereo so loud in his room, with the door closed, that we couldn't hear the TV in the living room. I guess that was different.

I used to use CC, but that also annoys DH, so that stopped.

Have you tried TV Ears 5.0 Analog

My husband got his on ebay for $20.00 and they've made life much quieter around here. He loves them. If I can't sleep at night I come back out here and use them so I don't wake him. They're wonderful !

In honor of the death of Shirley Temple I watched, "Heidi" again for the first time since I was a child in grade school. I had forgotten so much of it but I loved it all over again. I remember thinking the first time I saw it how much I would love to visit that part of the world someday, and my dream came true a couple of years ago when we traveled to the mountains of Germany and Switzerland. I thought at the time, I'm really here at last.

You can stream the full movie at youtube. It's captioned in German.
Heidi - YouTube

Last edited:
I have my TV set to always play CC since I need that for all shows. I'm not deaf but what they called hearing impaired meaning that even with hearing aids I have a hard time distinguishing words---- esp. on the newer movies where there's so much ambient noise (music etc) that it's hard. The old movies (classics) don't give as much problem since the actors spoke clearly and didn't mutter as much. :rolleyes:

I'm looking into buying an All Regions DVD player. Many of the foreign movies aren't made for Region 1 (the U.S. mostly). I'm missing all the older Inspector Morse DVDs because of that and also some of the Nordic mysteries that I love.

But my library received a very large collection of DVDs with SDH or CC and because of that I can reserve some of the Nordic mysteries that Netflix doesn't have. (Some kind philanthropist donated that collection several years ago. The only downside is that there's often a very long waiting time for them, but that's o.k.)

I was able to watch Varg Veum because of that.

Having closed caption turned on for your TV won't make a difference with netflix, since it is a digital file sent to a player then sent to a TV. The player that you are using has to be closed caption capable, it will send the picture with the closed captions (subtitles) to your TV, in this case it is the software in the streaming device doing the work, your TV is more like a computer monitor, it just shows what it is given.

If you are watching over the air or basic cable, your TV does the work of providing the closed captions, from the signal that it gets through the coax cable.

So in short, Netflix doesn't send captions that your TV can understand. You need the streaming device, sometimes built in to a tv, sometimes a blu-ray player, roku box etc.. to read the signal.

Last edited:
I have my TV set to always play CC since I need that for all shows. I'm not deaf but what they called hearing impaired meaning that even with hearing aids I have a hard time distinguishing words---- esp. on the newer movies where there's so much ambient noise (music etc) that it's hard. The old movies (classics) don't give as much problem since the actors spoke clearly and didn't mutter as much......
That also seems to be an issue with newer TV shows. I have bat hearing and even I'm asking Himself, who could use a set of TV Ears, "what did he say"? There are a couple shows he regularly watches with the CC on. I just don't bother with the TV show period at that point since my eyes stray towards the letters and I miss the action on the screen. "Look, squirrel!" :LOL:

...It also annoys my son who comes to our house and yells that the TV is up so loud he could hear it out in the driveway. He seems to forget his teen years when he used to play his stereo so loud in his room, with the door closed, that we couldn't hear the TV in the living room. I guess that was different....
I think you should start blaming him for your poor hearing. Pack him up good for his guilt trip now...;)

In honor of the death of Shirley Temple I watched, "Heidi" again for the first time since I was a child in grade school. I had forgotten so much of it but I loved it all over again. I remember thinking the first time I saw it how much I would love to visit that part of the world someday, and my dream came true a couple of years ago when we traveled to the mountains of Germany and Switzerland. I thought at the time, I'm really here at last.

You can stream the full movie at youtube. It's captioned in German.
Heidi - YouTube
So RIP Shirley Temple. I only looked her up a week or two back to see if she was still alive. I don't know how good she was as a diplomat but it's a shame that many of the obits concentrate on her childhood film career and gloss over her adult career.

I saw the Heidi film when I was about five. It never comes up on television over here which is a shame.

Last edited:
bakechef said:

"So in short, Netflix doesn't send captions that your TV can understand."

I'm confused because I get Netflix movies all the time that play with CC on my TV.
My TV is set for CC (all the time)
My DVD player is CC capable.

The only thing I have to look for (at Netflix) is if the description says it's CC or SDH and everything is fine (99% of the time if NF hasn't screwed up)

I must be misunderstanding your comment.

"The Rise of the Guardians". It was cute, but I wouldn't let small children watch it. Scary.

Is it just me, or have animated movies gone downhill? Frozen was just OK, I wasn't impressed, but it has gotten rave reviews. Back in the day, I loved the Jungle Book, Snow White, and many others. Finding Nemo is the most recent one that was really quality. The animated movies nowadays just don't seem as good.

Last edited:
We just watched the latest Star Trek, Into the Darkness. I liked it. I think they did a great job finding actors to live up to the originals. Simon Pegg as Scotty is an inspired choice. We recently watched 21 Jump Street too, which made me laugh a LOT! It's neat to see how quickly high school popular criteria changes. The cameo with Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise was AWESOME.

"The Rise of the Guardians". It was cute, but I wouldn't let small children watch it. Scary.

Is it just me, or have animated movies gone downhill? Frozen was just OK, I wasn't impressed, but it has gotten rave reviews. Back in the day, I loved the Jungle Book, Snow White, and many others. Finding Nemo is the most recent one that was really quality. The animated movies nowadays just don't seem as good.

I think we liked them more then because we were kids Dawg. As far as the old ones being "good" for kids, I cried for days over Bambi and Dumbo. What the heck was Walt thinking killing Bambi's mother, and taking Dumbo from Mama?

I think we liked them more then because we were kids Dawg. As far as the old ones being "good" for kids, I cried for days over Bambi and Dumbo. What the heck was Walt thinking killing Bambi's mother, and taking Dumbo from Mama?

Yes, Bambi was a real tearjerker, the book too. And poor little Dumbo! But the quality was so good. Some time ago, I rewatched Snow White, and was amazed by the animation and story.

I think my 6 year old niece would be pretty upset by Guardians. Frozen got to her too.

Dead Man Down. Quite possibly the longest movie I've ever seen. At least it felt that way.

Dead Man Down. Quite possibly the longest movie I've ever seen. At least it felt that way.

Had never heard of that one, will wait for it to be on cable and will likely not watch it anyway!

We are watching Shaft with Samuel L. Jackson...Shrek was downhearted that I recognized and hollered out Richard Roundtree before he did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom