What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched 1776 the musical movie yesterday. Spike ordered the DVD for me from our library system here in Boston. It must be a favorite as it was on the wait list. There was very little music, but the dialog was pretty much on spot. They took a lot of it from the minutes that were kept of the Continental Congress at the time. If you are looking for a pleasant history lesson....

Even though every American knows how it ends, I found myself getting that feeling of pride every American gets when they hear our national anthem being played. :angel:

We went and saw the new "Planet of the Apes" movie tonight. Very, very well done. Good story and well acted. While I was always a big fan of the original movies, I have to admit that the new franchise is better.

It also says a lot about the state of computer graphics when the digital monkeys are able to show as much emotion as their human counterparts. That was something that the old series just couldn't quite pull off.

CGI?
I saw something on the making of the movie and it showed actors wearing arm extensions learning to walk like an ape.
I'm sure the hundreds of apes scenes were CGI, but I'm not so sure about the closeups and individual shots.

We watched Fargo. I have never seen the movie.

Wow. And oldy but a goldy.

We also saw Plantet of the Apes in 3D. I'm old enough to remember the Roddy McDowell version and this was a treat to watch, although I have to be honest and say I liked the first one better. More warm and fuzzy.

We all enjoyed it though.

CGI?
I saw something on the making of the movie and it showed actors wearing arm extensions learning to walk like an ape.
I'm sure the hundreds of apes scenes were CGI, but I'm not so sure about the closeups and individual shots.
The closeups were done with live actors that had little dots of paint at strategic places on their faces that the digital cameras could record. Then CGI was used to superimpose a digital character over the live one. The same technique was used on Avatar and the Lord of the Rings movies.

Deep Digital Science Behind "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - Out There | Discovermagazine.com

ApesCaesar.png

Last edited:
Just got done watching an old black and white from 1941. The Devil and Daniel Webster.Its about a man who sells his soul to the devil. A great cast, Edward Arnold, Walter Huston, Jane Darrwell, Gene Lockhart, Anne Shirley and James Craig. I enjoyed it.

I just saw this FREE documentary you can watch: Ping Pong

Watch Video | Ping Pong: Feature Films | POV | PBS

If you did not know that ping pong had a world championships for people over 80 plus years old now you do. The documentary looked a small group of people with one from the USA getting ready for the championships in China. This was a fun 52 minute documentary.

Just got done watching From Time To Time. Very enjoyable movie for the whole family. Its a story intertwined between present and past. It star's Maggie Smith (she is so good).

I had put requests in for five movies from the library. They all had long waits. Until my name was pulled! Himself picked three up on Monday. So, Monday we watched "Frozen". Forget Idena Menzel's singing - after all, she's a veteran of Broadway musicals. I was blown away by Kristin Bell's pipes. Then I read she trained as an opera singer. Her vocal training showed.

Tonight's movie was "Saving Mr. Banks". Is there anything Tom Hanks doesn't do well? Impressive once again, this time as Walt Disney. Himself was just as taken by the movie as I was.

Later this week we'll finish off with "The Monuments Men". Hope we than get a break before the other two DVDs are available.

I had put requests in for five movies from the library. They all had long waits. Until my name was pulled! Himself picked three up on Monday. So, Monday we watched "Frozen". Forget Idena Menzel's singing - after all, she's a veteran of Broadway musicals. I was blown away by Kristin Bell's pipes. Then I read she trained as an opera singer. Her vocal training showed.

Tonight's movie was "Saving Mr. Banks". Is there anything Tom Hanks doesn't do well? Impressive once again, this time as Walt Disney. Himself was just as taken by the movie as I was.

Later this week we'll finish off with "The Monuments Men". Hope we than get a break before the other two DVDs are available.

There is a commercial for Wayfair. You can tell the girl singing in that has a Broadway voice training in her life. :angel:

Watched the newest Jack Ryan last night. Good reboot of the series, but had a hard time not seeing Chris Pine as Captain Kirk most of the time.

... Monday we watched "Frozen"...
Forgot to mention one thing. Himself always watches a movie all the way through to the end of the credits, whether we're at home or for one of our infrequent forays to the theater. (Must say, as someone who has worked tech crew for little theatre shows I do appreciate it.) After "Frozen" was over and the credits were finished, we got an Easter Egg! Hidden at the end and not listed in the "Extras", we got to watch an interesting cartoon. Started in black and white with Mickey from his Steamboat Willie days, the image looking a bit like you're viewing the cartoon on the screen from your theater seat. Then the characters break through the "screen", changing to color when they are off the screen, reverting back to black and white when they go back into the screen. Very creative!

Started in black and white with Mickey from his Steamboat Willie days, the image looking a bit like you're viewing the cartoon on the screen from your theater seat. Then the characters break through the "screen", changing to color when they are off the screen, reverting back to black and white when they go back into the screen. Very creative!

That was actually at the beginning of the film when we saw it on the Disney Fantasy in November. Was very cool!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom