"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #3411
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Last night Glenn and I watched the 1973 movie, The Way We Were. I'd never seen it and I liked it even though it was very sad. Boy, Redford and Streisand were little kids when they made it!!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #3412
Master Chef

I just ordered "Death Takes A Holiday" made in 1934 with Fredric March ( Meet Joe Black is a remake of this film). I also ordered "A Christmas Carol" with Fredric March and Basil Rathbone made in 1954. I have seen Death Takes a Holiday many years ago and really like it, I am so glad I am able to order a DVD of it.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #3413
Head Chef

The name of the Netflix disc was "The Great Ecstasy of the Sculptor Steiner/How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck?" Three short 1970's documentaries filmed by Werner Herzog. First, Walter Steiner's ski-jumping win at a Polish contest, featuring some blissful slow-motion photography of his incredible jumps (he referred to it as ski-flying), as well as some dreadful wipe-outs. He carves wood as an avocation. Second, the World Championship Livestock Auctioneer contest in West Virginia, USA. The "Woodchuck" part was a contestant's explanation of how he learned to speak the rapid-fire style of an auctioneer. There were some lovely shots of the Amish who attended the auction. Not to be a spoiler, but the winner was an affable Canadian. Third was Herzog's journey to the island of Guadaloupe to find a man on the slope of La Grande Soufriere, a volcano in imminent danger of erupting. The town had been evacuated, but this man refused to go.

The eruption of Mt. Pelee on the island of French Martinique, a story within the 1976 film, decimated the town of St. Pierre in 1902, with loss of life estimated at 30,000. (Googled it this morning. Horrible.)

Prior to this title, I watched The Social Network. Eisenberg seemed to be perfect, but that movie just left a bad taste when it was over.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #3414
Certified Pretend Chef

I watched The Tourist with Depp and Jolie. He's never looker worse and she's never looked better.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #3415
Chef Extraordinaire

"A Single Man" with Colin Firth. Picked up at WalMart for $5.
I think he was nominated for this one when he was also nominated for "The King's Speech."
Liked the movie, but it wasn't as good as I was anticipating.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #3416
Head Chef

Correction on the Livestock Auction location -- it was Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Sorry. I know you'll all sleep better tonight now.

I thought The Tourist was a waste of everyone's time, but at least they got to go to Venice.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #3417
Chef Extraordinaire

The 3 of us went to the movie theater last saurday afternoon & saw "The Help". It was an excellent movie. It made you go from lauging to crying through the whole movie. It was about the whole civil rights movement. I would highly recomend it to everyone.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #3418
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
The 3 of us went to the movie theater last saurday afternoon & saw "The Help". It was an excellent movie. It made you go from lauging to crying through the whole movie. It was about the whole civil rights movement. I would highly recomend it to everyone.
Liked that one too, but liked the book better. I really don't think Scooter would have worn her unruly hair that way in the Jackie Kennedy era, even tho she (Scooter) was a rebel of sorts. Did you know that the actress who played Hilly is Ron Howard's daughter?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #3419
Head Chef

Thirty Days of Night
Didn't realize it was a vampire movie. I don't care much for them but this one was ok..
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #3420
Head Chef

"The Indian Runner". Written and directed by Sean Penn. 1991.
The story, set in 1960s Nebraska, involves two very different brothers: Joe a small town deputy sheriff, and Frank, a criminal.