What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not watching it for "entertainment" so much as a character study. I do feel badly for some of the people - those who invested with a credible financial adviser who, in turn, invested blocks of money with Madoff. However, I cannot understand why someone would take ALL of their savings, invest all of it with someone who said they have a "sure thing", and then think they never had a hand in their own misery. Hello! Did your parents NOT teach you "don't put all your eggs in one basket"? Did they not tell you that there is no such thing as a "sure thing"? Yes, those people were duped. Yes, they had atrocious crimes committed against them. But they were silly in the beginning to trust someone with all of their money.

Madoff is scum. He was sentenced to 150 years in prison. I hope he lives to see every one of those years...in prison. :devilish:
I DVR'ed it, will probably watch it just to see Dreyfuss. I do like him as an actor. Agree with you about Madoff....the lousy bas***d deserves to spend the rest of his miserable life in prison. :glare:

It was like Ted. Funny but not earth shattering.

We watched Cinderella Man last night. That was a good story.

We did watch Ted 2 the other night, it caused discussion on what "a person/being" is. Like you said, "Funny but not earth shattering." Good price for a couple hours of entertainment, though.

I DVR'ed it, will probably watch it just to see Dreyfuss. I do like him as an actor. Agree with you about Madoff....the lousy bas***d deserves to spend the rest of his miserable life in prison. :glare:

We DVR'd it too and watched the first half last night. Sickening. I can't wait till tonight to enjoy what's coming to him. Richard Dreyfuss is really effective in the role.

We DVR'd it too and watched the first half last night. Sickening. I can't wait till tonight to enjoy what's coming to him. Richard Dreyfuss is really effective in the role.

He sure is! I watched the other half this morning. I don't think this is giving anything away, but it's great to watch him unravel in part 2 when he realizes the jig is up. :mad: I feel so bad for his family, it really took a toll on them too, as well as the victims.

I think there's a federal law that prohibits convicted felons from profiting off their crimes, but if Madoff did receive any royalties or whatever from the film, I sure hope it went to restitution for the victims. Not that it would be much more than a drop in the bucket though, compared to the billions he bilked people out of. Grrrrr.

Since the micro-series was produced by ABC, Cheryl, and not Madoff, I'm going to guess the victims will end up with nada. If you also recorded/watched the hour long show after the series, I noticed they did talk to the real secretary and a few others who were affected by Madoff's actions. The secretary even assisted with some of the details, such as how Madoff treated his sons while at work. Like dirt, apparently. :glare:

Since the micro-series was produced by ABC, Cheryl, and not Madoff, I'm going to guess the victims will end up with nada. If you also recorded/watched the hour long show after the series, I noticed they did talk to the real secretary and a few others who were affected by Madoff's actions. The secretary even assisted with some of the details, such as how Madoff treated his sons while at work. Like dirt, apparently. :glare:

Makes sense about the production rights, CG. And YIKES...I didn't even notice until right after part 2 ended that there was a behind the scenes filming with those who actually worked with him. DRAT! I should have paid more attention when I was DVRing it. Maybe ABC will have that on their site and I can watch it.

On a side note....I thought Blythe Danner was wonderful as Ruth Madoff in this. Did you know she's Gwyneth Paltrow's mother? Probably everyone know this by now...LOL :)

Last edited:
We finished the Madoff thing tonight. The only good thing I can say about the SOB is he kept his sons off the 17th floor of dirty tricks. Now Ruth has two dead sons. Tragic for everyone, and the SOB is a prison celebrity.
Cheryl, we too didn't DVR the after show, but found it at ABC.

I watched 'Burnt' last night from my campsite. Hiked out to my local spot for some solitude. Good movie, but wow, the Chef had issues. I enjoyed it.

BTW, here's a view from my camp... That thing strapped to the tree is a tree shelf with a butane cooking stove.

Attachments

• HenningerFlats2-2016.jpg
    HenningerFlats2-2016.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 139
Love the "bed" too. Sadly, it would not work for me - I'm a tummy sleeper.

In fact, I have a backpackers' bridge hammock on order. With that, you can be on your tummy, as I occasionally do like to sleep on my tummy. It hangs flat. I often feel too 'confined' in these gathered end hammocks and also get tired holding a tablet while watching a movie. This new hammock should change all that.

In fact, I have a backpackers' bridge hammock on order. With that, you can be on your tummy, as I occasionally do like to sleep on my tummy. It hangs flat...
Looks pretty cool and do-able, but there is still all that "camping" thing and all. We used to camp. Tent camp, on the ground, sleeping bags on small blow-up mattresses, no cots. Never owned a trailer, etc. But now we're old and out-of-shape, so we prefer camping at the Holiday Inn. ;)

Sandra Bullock gets a fair bit of negative comment in the "meeja" but I rather like her films.
I don't find her engaging/convincing as an actress - she does pathos fairly well. (Since You Were Sleeping was passable - I felt Bill Pullman carried that movie more though).

There are films I tend to avoid if they star someone I don't regard as a good actor/actress, Julia Roberts is another one. Whilst I am sure she is a lovely person and, of course, is attractive (as is Sandra Bullock), acting wise....meh! (Not a great range). :ermm:

Oh and lots of male actors (e.g. Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis) but then they are in the kind of films that would bore me anyway.

I loved Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon working together! Also particularly like Neil Simon screenplays.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom