"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #3471
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,171
Just got done watching Molly and Me. An old black and white film from 1945. It stars Gracie Fields, Monty Woolley and Roddy McDowall. I must have seen this film at least 4 times now. Gracie Fields does a lot of singing in this film (which I love).
__________________

__________________
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
Rogers
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #3472
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Going through and making notes. . .I will have about 6 weeks home, so getting caught up on flicks is going to occupy a lot of that time, I hope.

How many people use a service, i.e. Netflix/Hulu?

Netflix seems to be going the way of the Dodo, but Blockbuster is picking up speed with it's Netflix like service. Any opinions? Anyone using the Blockbuster system?
__________________

__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #3473
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Going through and making notes. . .I will have about 6 weeks home, so getting caught up on flicks is going to occupy a lot of that time, I hope.

How many people use a service, i.e. Netflix/Hulu?

Netflix seems to be going the way of the Dodo, but Blockbuster is picking up speed with it's Netflix like service. Any opinions? Anyone using the Blockbuster system?
I use the Netflix service for both streaming and mail order movies. I have no other TV service.

When my basic TV service had increased prices from $40, all the way to $85 for the same service, I dropped them. I'm just not paying $85 a month to watch what little TV I did, beyond movies.

Netflix really made me mad when they doubled their pricing by splitting their streaming and mail services. I've kept it at $20 a month, because I do watch a lot of movies, (about 2 per/day), and I like having both the more recent and the older movies.

$20 a month is reasonable still, so I'll stay with Netflix for now. I figured Blockbuster would try to ease out of it's store-front losses and into the netflix type clone they've started now. Smart business.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #3474
Head Chef
 
jusnikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I use the Netflix service for both streaming and mail order movies. I have no other TV service.

When my basic TV service had increased prices from $40, all the way to $85 for the same service, I dropped them. I'm just not paying $85 a month to watch what little TV I did, beyond movies.

Netflix really made me mad when they doubled their pricing by splitting their streaming and mail services. I've kept it at $20 a month, because I do watch a lot of movies, (about 2 per/day), and I like having both the more recent and the older movies.

$20 a month is reasonable still, so I'll stay with Netflix for now. I figured Blockbuster would try to ease out of it's store-front losses and into the netflix type clone they've started now. Smart business.
I was upset too when Netflix raised their rates. I almost canceled....I said if they do it once more than I'm definetly canceling...depending on how much it is. They lost a lot of customers because of it.

I didn't realize blockbusters had a site...
__________________
jusnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #3475
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
I was upset too when Netflix raised their rates. I almost canceled....I said if they do it once more than I'm definitely canceling...depending on how much it is. They lost a lot of customers because of it.
I gave em a piece of my mind also, Nikki.

I grew up with only three channels of local TV. Part of my reason for loving movies so much comes from having gone to the movie theater only twice as of the age of 18. It was something that cost more than we could afford in my family.

It seems that the pay-for services have only one method of pricing:

1. Jack the price up until customers start canceling.

2. Then keep it at that price and squeeze them for every dime you can.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #3476
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,171
For right now I am just keeping the mail order movies. I too am going to wait and see what they are going to do next. I use to have the instant movies too but the screen kept going black during the movie and it said" please wait we are reloading".ERRR.
__________________
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
Rogers
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #3477
Head Chef
 
jusnikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
For right now I am just keeping the mail order movies. I too am going to wait and see what they are going to do next. I use to have the instant movies too but the screen kept going black during the movie and it said" please wait we are reloading".ERRR.

It does that on the best parts of the movie, lol. But I can't make myself let go of the streaming. My son watches them thru xbox and I don't think he has any problems with them blacking out.
__________________
jusnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #3478
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to JayDub1329
I've watched a movie called Choice... It was on Netflix and it had a lot of twists i think you'll enjoy it...:O)
__________________
JayDub1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #3479
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDub1329 View Post
I've watched a movie called Choice... It was on Netflix and it had a lot of twists i think you'll enjoy it...:O)
Hey Jay! Was it this one?

The Choice (1981)

"A young woman must make the choice between aborting her unplanned pregnancy or keeping the baby in this passionate drama of one individual's personal crisis."
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #3480
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
I always wondered how Netflix made money with the high postal rates.....especially those accounts with high dvd turnovers. I thought my paying $8.99 unlimited 1 dvd out & unlimited streaming was an extremely good deal until they jacked up the rates.
I cancelled the dvd portion and now have streaming only. At $7.99 it's not an unreasonable deal.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.