"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #3481
Head Chef

The Client 1993

Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #3482
Executive Chef

Time Bandits (1981) Although viewed as a kid's movie, there are enough tongue-in-cheek moments by a multitude of well-know actors to make it worthwhile for adults as well.

Cast:
Sean Connery, David Warner, Michael Palin, Shelley Duvall, John Cleese, Katherine Helmond, Ian Holm, Ralph Richardson, Kenny Baker

Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #3483
Master Chef

I just got done watching BIRTH (2004) with Nicole Kidman, Cameron Bright and Lauren Bacall. I am so confused!!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #3484
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I always wondered how Netflix made money with the high postal rates.....especially those accounts with high dvd turnovers. I thought my paying $8.99 unlimited 1 dvd out & unlimited streaming was an extremely good deal until they jacked up the rates.
I cancelled the dvd portion and now have streaming only. At $7.99 it's not an unreasonable deal.
Can somebody explain to me what you mean by "streaming only"?
I switched from 2 DVD's to 1, but we also still watch Netflix on computer. I think it is also $7.99
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #3485
Chef Extraordinaire

It means you no longer have access to the DVDs, Charlie. You can only "stream" movies over the net to either your computer or your TV.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #3486
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Can somebody explain to me what you mean by "streaming only"?
I switched from 2 DVD's to 1, but we also still watch Netflix on computer. I think it is also $7.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It means you no longer have access to the DVDs, Charlie. You can only "stream" movies over the net to either your computer or your TV.
To take it one step further, when you watch them on your computer using netflix or other "streaming" data sources, the data isn't downloaded to your PC and then watched. It "streams" the data from the internet to your PC as you watch it, with a small buffer of data on your PC. The buffer size depends on the detected bandwidth speed.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #3487
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Time Bandits (1981) Although viewed as a kid's movie, there are enough tongue-in-cheek moments by a multitude of well-know actors to make it worthwhile for adults as well.

Cast:
Sean Connery, David Warner, Michael Palin, Shelley Duvall, John Cleese, Katherine Helmond, Ian Holm, Ralph Richardson, Kenny Baker
I loved this movie, have seen it a couple of times. So inventive and clever. I especially loved Sean Connery portraying a Greek king (with a Scottish accent, but who cares). Mama Mia! He was a handsome devil as James Bond, but he was perfect in Bandits.

I was thinking the other night about some actors and in what role they looked best, IMO, on the big screen, i.e., Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow has seldom looked better. Orlando Bloom as a blond elfin creature. Kim Basinger as a 50's Hollywood actress. Cate Blanchett as Queen Elizabeth. Mel Gibson as Mad Max, a toss-up with his Braveheart role. Peter O'Toole in the desert. Omar Shariff in the snow. Sigh.

Other thoughts? Might this be of thread weight? (I don't know how to start a thread.)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #3488
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
To take it one step further, when you watch them on your computer using netflix or other "streaming" data sources, the data isn't downloaded to your PC and then watched. It "streams" the data from the internet to your PC as you watch it, with a small buffer of data on your PC. The buffer size depends on the detected bandwidth speed.

We are way of topic here already and I appologise for it. I guess I do not understand why I am paying only $7.99 and get unlimited "streaming" then? Maybe I should check my bills.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #3489
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
We are way of topic here already and I appologise for it. I guess I do not understand why I am paying only $7.99 and get unlimited "streaming" then? Maybe I should check my bills.
$7.99 per/month is what netflix charges for unlimited streaming. They recently split their business in two. Mailed movies are a separate charge now.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #3490
Head Chef

Jumping The Broom
Parts of it was pretty funny. The screen writers missed some chances to make it a really funny movie though, IMHO