"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #3511
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
an alien deer with a speech impediment runs up some stairs in philadelphia to see his mom get shot?

i can't wait to see that, dawg.

i couldn't sleep today so i watched "open water". 2 hours of my life i can't get back.

what a waste of time. 2 people floating in the ocean in scuba gear, getting nipped by sharks for over an hour.
I liked Open Water. I liked Open Water 2, also. A group of people floating in the ocean who can't get back onto their boat. I watched that again yesterday.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #3512
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I liked Open Water. I liked Open Water 2, also. A group of people floating in the ocean who can't get back onto their boat. I watched that again yesterday.
Another reason for me to not go into a sharks dinner area. "Please, come play on my plate." Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm sure there must be a name for it, but I strongly dislike losing contact with the planet. Flying, sky-diving, being in the ocean or a lake...I dislike all of them equally.

I love having my feet firmly planted on Mother Earth. I don't mind it being slightly removed, like when riding a train, but I feel my best when I'm standing on the ground.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #3513
Head Chef

I watched a doc -- Saltmen of Tibet, following the nomads who herd their yaks 30 days to a faraway lake, scrape up salt, and trek back to their families. I had read the book Salt recently, and enjoyed seeing the actual harvesting of salt by what are still fairly primitive people.

Coincidentally, in a Netflix BBC production of "Cranford," an English village in the 18th century, the richest man in town owned the local salt mines.

In the Tibetan film (is there a smiley for bored-to-tears for you to use?) the men had developed a separate language known and used by just the saltmen (no women allowed), who used this language only while at the salt lake, no other time.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #3514
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki
I watched Thor last night. It was ok...I thought there could have been less clothing on Brad Pitt. But I'd watch it again....
Brad Pitt isn't in Thor. Chris Hemsworth played the title role.

Rest of cast can be found here http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0800369

For the record, Mr. Hemsworth definitely looked good without a shirt. And he's old enough that it's not creepy to admire his looks like it was with the moms who drooled over that one kid who played that one wearwolf kid in the Twilight films. Also, for the guys, the chick that played Sif was pretty hot.

As for the movie itself, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great. The actors were pretty accurate in their portrayals (except Renee Russo as Frigg) but the story seemed rushed and Thor spent maybe three days stuck in Midgard (Earth) before "learning his lesson". Even for a comic movie it was kind of an eye-roller. Still, I enjoyed it and would watch it again, and that's what matters most. I'm also willing to go see the second one, although I'll probably catch it on a matinee.

Now Captain America, that was a well done movie worth full price admission. I liked the Captain before but I love his character now. The movie did an amazing job showing why he's the first, and ultimate, Avenger.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #3515
Master Chef

Black Lagoon
Old 10-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #3516
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Brad Pitt isn't in Thor. Chris Hemsworth played the title role.

Rest of cast can be found here Thor (2011)

For the record, Mr. Hemsworth definitely looked good without a shirt. And he's old enough that it's not creepy to admire his looks like it was with the moms who drooled over that one kid who played that one wearwolf kid in the Twilight films. Also, for the guys, the chick that played Sif was pretty hot.

As for the movie itself, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great. The actors were pretty accurate in their portrayals (except Renee Russo as Frigg) but the story seemed rushed and Thor spent maybe three days stuck in Midgard (Earth) before "learning his lesson". Even for a comic movie it was kind of an eye-roller. Still, I enjoyed it and would watch it again, and that's what matters most. I'm also willing to go see the second one, although I'll probably catch it on a matinee.

Now Captain America, that was a well done movie worth full price admission. I liked the Captain before but I love his character now. The movie did an amazing job showing why he's the first, and ultimate, Avenger.
I had to go google that just to see.... All this time I thought that was Brad. I knew there was something, lol, a little different about him. THat's got to be Brad's brother by another mother...LOL!! I feel soo stupid!!

Captain America is my next movie in line... I don't guess I'll be seeing brad pitt in that...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #3517
Executive Chef

Quote:

I had to go google that just to see.... All this time I thought that was Brad. I knew there was something, lol, a little different about him. THat's got to be Brad's brother by another mother...LOL!! I feel soo stupid!!

Captain America is my next movie in line... I don't guess I'll be seeing brad pitt in that...
Quote:

No need to feel stupid. I've mistaken actors in movies before and so have a lot of others I know. And they do look pretty similar.

And yeah, no Brad in Captain America either. It's all good though. Chris Evens is equally worth seeing shirtless.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #3518
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We watched "Paul" and "The Mechanic." Loved both of them. I laughed some of my b___ off with Paul, it was a blast!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #3519
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
No need to feel stupid. I've mistaken actors in movies before and so have a lot of others I know. And they do look pretty similar.

And yeah, no Brad in Captain America either. It's all good though. Chris Evens is equally worth seeing shirtless.

Thanks PAG, lol and yes Chris Evens was very nice...lol.

I have Captain American on my Netflix Queue. It won't be available until next week. It looked very interesting.

Watched The Island and it was ok. I think I'll get The Joy Luck Club next. Hadn't watched it in years and I never have seen the complete movie.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #3520
Head Chef

The Secretary - James Spader & Maggie Gyllenhaal. Brrrr.