What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TCM ran some Alfred Hitchcock movies today. I always seem to catch "Marnie" at the right time to enjoy it. Late Sunday morning, mid afternoon. Tippi Hendron is pretty and vulnerable, and Sean Connery is ultra masculine yet caring.

Last edited:
Not a movie, but I downloaded the 3 seasons of Lilyhammer. Mom, Dad, and I watched Season 1, episodes 1 and 2, got 22 more to go to binge watch the 3 seasons. They both loved the two episodes. Nice to have Mom watching TV and engaged--she laughed, ate popcorn, and didn't fall asleep during the 2 episodes.

Last edited:
"Flight of the Phoenix" with Dennis Quaid. Good movie. I've seen it before, but it's been several years.

I also finally watched "Shrek" for the first time! :ohmy: Cute movie, I really enjoyed it. :)

Prophet's Prey. Not really an eye-opener, as I was aware of most of the things the FLDS does. What I was surprised about was finding out that Jon Krakauer was helping Sam Brower track down Warren Jeffs. I like Krakauer and his books.

So the movie led me to look up the book Prophet's Prey at the library and I got a lot more of the back story, especially the back story of the Texas YFZ raid.

Prophet's Prey. Not really an eye-opener, as I was aware of most of the things the FLDS does. What I was surprised about was finding out that Jon Krakauer was helping Sam Brower track down Warren Jeffs. I like Krakauer and his books.

So the movie led me to look up the book Prophet's Prey at the library and I got a lot more of the back story, especially the back story of the Texas YFZ raid.

I have no idea at all what you're talking about.

I remember when they finally found Jeffs. So glad he is serving a life sentence, but his legacy is living on, unfortunately. :censored:

Some movie channel ran 1975's "3 Days of the Condor." Heavy movie. Starring a handsome Robert Redford, and a pretty Faye Dunaway. A CIA within the CIA? Max Von Sydow also stars and is one of my fave actors. He plays a hitman who is working for the "Company" as an independent "contractor". Cliff Robertson stars as a CIA chief who is somewhat in the dark too, along with Redford, but who defends the "Company" as a necessary evil. Robert Redford's character talking about his CIA job..."I just read books!!!"

Last edited:
I have no idea at all what you're talking about.

The FLDS is a fundamentalist offshoot of the Mormons who still believe in polygamy. There are small groups of polygamists all over the US, but the ones most people have heard of are the ones in Hildale and Colorado City, right on the Utah/Arizona border.

Their group, they call it the UEP, owns all the land in the town, so they used to be able to kick people out of their homes whenever they want. They do have people in the town that have been kicked out of the religion, and then the FLDS tried to drive them out of the town by cutting off water and electricity.

The women are used totally to have children and nothing else. The teenage boys are kicked out of the community and left to fend for themselves. The teenage girls are married off to older men. The first marriage is a legal one, then the others are "spiritual" marriages. Because the other wives aren't legally married, they qualify for food stamps and welfare. The families have to give all their food stamps to the main church and the group that runs the church decides who gets what.

The young girls and women are abused, but they aren't allowed to leave the cult. The entire town, including the mayor and the police force, are FLDS. If a girl tries to escape and is caught, she'll be returned back to her abuser by the police.

Anyhoo, Warren Jeffs is the leader of the whole shebang at this point and several years ago, they went after him for giving away underage girls in marriage and for having sex with underage girls himself. He went on the run, got caught, and is now in jail serving a couple of life sentences. Meantime, he still runs his cult by phone. If he says no dogs, no Christmas, no wearing red, the people there are so brainwashed they do whatever he says.

There are also some FLDS compounds in other states, like in Colorado, the Black Hills of South Dakota, and one in Texas, along with one in Canada and in Mexico.

Back in 2010, there was a hoax phone call to several people from someone who claimed she was at the Texas compound (called Yearning for Zion) and being abused. At the time, it was decided that the authorities would need to find the girl. What they found instead were almost 500 kids in the cult, several of them obviously underage and either pregnant or with babies. Texas first removed the kids, then found out they had no place to keep them all, and returned them.

Things are looking up, however. There have been recent court cases where people living in the Hildale/Colorado City area have sued the UEP for kicking them out of their houses and for cutting the services, and have won. And just recently, the Feds are going after them for food stamp fraud. That's a big one. The only problem is, while this case is going on, a lot of women and children are hungry now.

Anyway, Sam Brower is a Mormon private investigator who spent years looking for Jeffs while he was on the run. The man who helped him, Jon Krakauer, was the guy who climbed Everest in 1996 when all those climbers died and he wrote a book about it called 'Into Thin Air'. Jon got involved with the FLDS when he was passing through the two towns, stopped for gas, and was harassed when he went to check them out. He subsequently wrote the book 'Under the Banner of Heaven'.

It's not on right now, but I've been watching a show called Escaping from Polygamy on TV and I think it'll be back for the third season. That's a good show to watch.

Maybe I should have put all this in a PM.

I remember when they finally found Jeffs. So glad he is serving a life sentence, but his legacy is living on, unfortunately. :censored:

I personally think someone should just impersonate him and give "good" messages to that group by phone, so they can get out from under his thumb.

Some movie channel ran 1975's "3 Days of the Condor." Heavy movie. Starring a handsome Robert Redford, and a pretty Faye Dunaway. A CIA within the CIA? Max Von Sydow also stars and is one of my fave actors. He plays a hitman who is working for the "Company" as an independent "contractor". Cliff Robertson stars as a CIA chief who is somewhat in the dark too, along with Redford, but who defends the "Company" as a necessary evil. Robert Redford's character talking about his CIA job..."I just read books!!!"

I love that movie. Especially the part when Redford predicts the rain.

Last edited:
I love that movie. Especially the part when Redford predicts the rain.

No offence, but... huh? Redford predicting rain? Wha?

It's a movie that took me a few views to figure out.

CIA Higgins (Cliff Robertson) seems like the bad guy, but he's juggling two CIA's and trying to maintain.

Last edited:
The FLDS is a fundamentalist offshoot of the Mormons who still believe in polygamy. There are small groups of polygamists all over the US, but the ones most people have heard of are the ones in Hildale and Colorado City, right on the Utah/Arizona border...

Wow, fascinating story. It's bizarre what goes on in some places that you rarely hear about. I do remember some of that now. I hope things continue to improve.

No offence, but... huh? Redford predicting rain? Wha?

It's a movie that took me a few views to figure out.

CIA Higgins (Cliff Robertson) seems like the bad guy, but he's juggling two CIA's and trying to maintain.

Yeah. Some place in the movie he comes in and says it's going to rain at 10am (I think that's the time). Then when he goes out to get his lunch, it starts raining right when he said it would.

Is that on net flix or something?

At the theater, rogue one; at home return of the jedi. yes, my husband says he is star warsed out. I on the other hand, am not. I find his lack of interest disturbing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom