"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #3761
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We just watched "Margin Call." The language was horrible, but the movie had a great cast (Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore, to name a few) and was pretty good. I kept expecting it to go in certain directions, and it didn't, which is just as well.

It was definitely one of those types of movies that had you shaking your head in disappointment at the human race. What Jeremy Irons said at the end kind of gave credence to something I have often said, which is that if you took all the money/wealth in the world and divided it equally among every human on Earth, within 30 days the world would be back, financially, to the way it was before the wealth was divided.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #3762
Master Chef

Elevator Girl

Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #3763
Chef Extraordinaire

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought it was very good. I have read the books and knew the story. The screenplay writer picked the high points from the novel and wove them into the movie so that if there are sequels, the threads to Elisabet's back story were introduced in the movie.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #3764
Chief Eating Officer

From Dusk Till Dawn. I love Quentin Tarantino films.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #3765
Chef Extraordinaire

We went & saw sherlock holmes tonight. My daughter(13) & dh liked it. Me, not so much.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #3766
Master Chef

Jurrasic Park: The Lost World for the countless time.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #3767
Master Chef

I love Jeff Goldblum movies. I didn't care for the fly though (to gross LOL I prefer the original and I don't even want to talk about the 2nd one with Eric Stoltz BRRR). One of my favorite Jeff roles was in Vibes. Has anyone seen that? Cindy Lauper and Peter Falk were in it. I love Jeff's quirkiness. Another fav is Independence Day
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #3768
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought it was very good. I have read the books and knew the story. The screenplay writer picked the high points from the novel and wove them into the movie so that if there are sequels, the threads to Elisabet's back story were introduced in the movie.
I went to the movies to see it also, CWS. I have not read the book. While I thought the story and the acting were excellent, the two rape scenes disturbed me to the point of physical and emotional nausea, like nothing I've ever seen before, and I don't shock all that easily.
If anyone has the slightest thought of seeing this movie with a youngster thinking the R rating is tame.....think again. The scenes could have been dealt with effectively in a more creative and less graphic way. It really makes me wonder why these film makers can't be more creative and less gross. Grrrr....

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #3769
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I went to the movies to see it also, CWS. I have not read the book. While I thought the story and the acting were excellent, the two rape scenes disturbed me to the point of physical and emotional nausea, like nothing I've ever seen before, and I don't shock all that easily.
If anyone has the slightest thought of seeing this movie with a youngster thinking the R rating is tame.....think again. The scenes could have been dealt with effectively in a more creative and less graphic way. It really makes me wonder why these film makers can't be more creative and less gross. Grrrr....
The scenes were equally disturbing in the book, Kayelle. One reason I do not want to see the movie.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #3770
Master Chef

Saw Unknown last nigh. I like Liam Neeson, so pretty much anything he is in I will like.