"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #3791
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We watched The Kings Speech last night, it wasn't as slow as I thought it might be.

We also watched Love and Other Drugs. Not bad, Kathleen said "I hate this movie" about halfway through, then changed her mind near the end.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #3792
Head Chef

I, too, liked The King's Speech - and think Geoffrey Rush is underrated. He's always good.

Last night watched Shutter Island w/Leonardo Di Caprio. Kept thinking it was just OK, nothing special, until toward the end. One of those creepers that leaves you thinking it really was worth making. I should have known Scorsese would come through.

Before that, it was Last Orders with Michael Caine, but also with Bob Hoskins who IMHO stole the show -- another underrated actor. Touching story all in all that unfolded beautifully.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #3793
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie
I, too, liked The King's Speech - and think Geoffrey Rush is underrated. He's always good.

Last night watched Shutter Island w/Leonardo Di Caprio. Kept thinking it was just OK, nothing special, until toward the end. One of those creepers that leaves you thinking it really was worth making. I should have known Scorsese would come through.

Before that, it was Last Orders with Michael Caine, but also with Bob Hoskins who IMHO stole the show -- another underrated actor. Touching story all in all that unfolded beautifully.
I loved Shutter Island although the ending was a bit of a disappointment for me. Still a great move though.
Another good Di Caprio movie is Blood Diamond. His acting in that is world class in my opinion.

Watched Revolver on Netflix this afternoon. What a load of rubbish I don't have a clue what it was about and got so bored I ended up browsing the net on my phone 3/4 of the way through. So boring.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #3794
Master Chef

I love to go to the movies, especially at this time of year before the Globe and Oscar awards. My friends and I saw "The Artist" yesterday and I loved every minute of it.
Who would have ever thought that a silent movie made in 2011 would have the world buzzing about awards? Here's an interesting trailer...
The Artist trailers and video clips on Yahoo! Movies

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #3795
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan View Post
I loved Shutter Island although the ending was a bit of a disappointment for me. Still a great move though.
Another good Di Caprio movie is Blood Diamond. His acting in that is world class in my opinion.

Watched Revolver on Netflix this afternoon. What a load of rubbish I don't have a clue what it was about and got so bored I ended up browsing the net on my phone 3/4 of the way through. So boring.
I definitely agree with what you said about his acting in "Blood Diamond."

Tonight we watched "Hit List" with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Cole Hauser. I didn't like the language, but the movie was pretty good.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #3796
Master Chef

My grandson and I just got done watching Pixar~Short Films: Vol. 1. Very inventive.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #3797
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We watched Flawless earlier today.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #3798
Head Chef

God's Country - a 1985 documentary by French film-maker Louis Malle. Here's what the Netflix envelope says: "Over the course of 6 years...Malle chronicles the shocking economic decline of a small Midwestern farming community in the cradle of America's heartland. After capturing the daily lives of Glencoe, Minn., residents on film in 1979, Malle returned in 1985 at the start of Ronald Reagan's second presidential term to find the town drowning in foreclosures and financial crises." Just fascinating to watch; I wonder about today's Glencoe.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #3799
Master Chef

Grandson was off of school today because of all of the snow, so we had a movie marathon. First we watched E.T. (1982) then Mr. Bean's Vacation, The Goonies and Beauty and The Beast ( I had never seen that one).
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #3800
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan View Post
Why was the ending a disappointment for you? It's nice to see an American made movie that isn't tied up in a nice feely bow.