"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #3811
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think it was the second option...it was quite painful...
Is that the travolta movie?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #3812
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes...

Old 01-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #3813
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes...
Ah ok I have never seen it.

I DID (ducks under table) like Judge Dredd.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #3814
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Ah ok I have never seen it.

I DID (ducks under table) like Judge Dredd.
Judge Dredd is a classic! It's a comic book made into a movie and it's great! If they had been going for a serious storyline it would have failed.

Battelfield Earth failed because they tried to make a serious movie...
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #3815
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Road, I was in the mood for a good movie, and since you've seen this three times I thought I'd watch it this afternoon on my streaming NetFlix.
I really enjoyed it and I doubt I would have picked it without a recommendation. I really like true stories that are uplifting about the human spirit. It was time well spent.
I'm glad you enjoyed Mao's Last Dancer. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #3816
Certified Cake Maniac

We've been watching a lot of movies lately - a way to relax together and get healthy.

Last night it was "The Help". Oh my what a fantastic movie! I want to read the book now. The characterizations of the blacks and whites and the stark reality of the times were very well done.

Previously we saw:
The Tourist - I don't know what Rickie Gervais was talking about (of course I never do) on the Golden Globes, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was predictable in parts but also kept you thinking. Yes, it was fluff, but some times you need that.

The Green Lantern - This is one of the few comics I didn't read when I was younger. But I like Ryan Reynolds (a local guy ) and the effects were well done. We watched some of the features and those suits were actually CGI - not something from your average superhero movie!

The Girl Who Played With Fire - We are watching the original series of movies with subtitles and are thoroughly enjoying them. The let down in this one is the main characters don't really spend much time together and it was their chemistry that made the first film IMHO anyway.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #3817
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just finished bawling my eyes out over the last 15 minutes of Gran Torino, again! It's in the top 3 of my favorite Eastwood movies.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #3818
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We've been watching a lot of movies lately - a way to relax together and get healthy.

Last night it was "The Help". Oh my what a fantastic movie! I want to read the book now. The characterizations of the blacks and whites and the stark reality of the times were very well done.

Previously we saw:
The Tourist - I don't know what Rickie Gervais was talking about (of course I never do) on the Golden Globes, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was predictable in parts but also kept you thinking. Yes, it was fluff, but some times you need that.

The Green Lantern - This is one of the few comics I didn't read when I was younger. But I like Ryan Reynolds (a local guy ) and the effects were well done. We watched some of the features and those suits were actually CGI - not something from your average superhero movie!

The Girl Who Played With Fire - We are watching the original series of movies with subtitles and are thoroughly enjoying them. The let down in this one is the main characters don't really spend much time together and it was their chemistry that made the first film IMHO anyway.
Loved The Help, especially since I lived it in a way. I was an early teen during that time period and my family had our "Juanita." She was an angel and, in short time, became a member of our family. You'll enjoy the book and I was pleased that the movie held pretty true to the book. Not always the case with movies based on books.

I, too, really liked The Tourist. Great film.

And, The Girl Who Played with Fire, fabulous. But, then, I really, really loved all three of the books in the series.

As for what we watched, well...turned out to be a waste of time. We viewed The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Fairly disjointed and, in our estimation, a mess of a movie. We felt it was a waste of good talent.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #3819
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
As for what we watched, well...turned out to be a waste of time. We viewed The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Fairly disjointed and, in our estimation, a mess of a movie. We felt it was a waste of good talent.
We watched that a couple nights ago. I had seen it in a theater in England, Kathleen had not seen it. My opinion didn't change but she had fun with it, so that's good.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #3820
Senior Cook

Just saw Haywire this weekend. It was pretty good.
There were a few things that irritated me about the fight scenes that were unrealistic. But being a Martial Artist I am somewhat of a stickler