"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #3851
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm mistaken, 8 pm, MST...now I need to find something to do...

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #3852
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We are about 20 minutes away from watching a Hallmark movie on ABC, 7 pm MST. It's based on a true story, "A Smile as Big as the Moon." Just watching the commercials for it, I give it a solid two boxes of tissues up!
Hallmark movies are always good family fare. I still watch the reruns.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #3853
Everymom

Mr and Mrs Smith. Good giggles that movie.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #3854
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Watched The American today.

George Cloony meets spy thriller meets artsy fartsy... feh.

yeah, but marone a mi... thatsa some brasciole, the woman he falls for...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #3855
Master Chef

was that a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie tonight? I missed it!! It's more than 1/2 over
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #3856
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Finally watched last Harry Potter movie last night, the part 1. Rented for kids, but decided to watch it first my self. Oh my gosh, I do not understand what normal parent would allow their child to see this. It was so dark and disturbing. and the next one I bet is even darker. No wonder kids are totally screwed up nowadays. We as parents wonder and blame media. How about blame ourselves for allowing this to happen. The movie went right back to where it came from this morning. Scary. Both, the movie and what we have become.
I'm sorry to hear that. Charlie, at least about the movie. I've made it a point over the years to read an assortment of juvenile literature to see what's available for our youth. I've read almost all of the Harry Potter books and found them to be delightful and full of creative imagination.

Having said that, I have absolutely no clue about any of the movies and how they portray the stories in the books.

Some years ago I read The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which is another piece of juvenile literature. It's quite an adventure but not nearly as complex as any Harry Potter enjoyed. The movie about Hugo is in 3D and is incredibly rich in story and vision. I can only imagine how captivating any of the Harry Potter stories would be in 3D.

Okay, to each his own, but I still found the Harry Potter tales to be very, very enjoyable...and very appropriate for children of the right age.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #3857
Chef Extraordinaire

i understand how you feel, charlie. but so long as you explain that it's fantasy just like cartoons or scary movies about monsters, it's just mind candy. it'll help your kids expand their creative minds so long as they have your guidance as to the real world.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #3858
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Charlie, at least about the movie. I've made it a point over the years to read an assortment of juvenile literature to see what's available for our youth. I've read almost all of the Harry Potter books and found them to be delightful and full of creative imagination.

Having said that, I have absolutely no clue about any of the movies and how they portray the stories in the books.

Some years ago I read The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which is another piece of juvenile literature. It's quite an adventure but not nearly as complex as any Harry Potter enjoyed. The movie about Hugo is in 3D and is incredibly rich in story and vision. I can only imagine how captivating any of the Harry Potter stories would be in 3D.

Okay, to each his own, but I still found the Harry Potter tales to be very, very enjoyable...and very appropriate for children of the right age.
<applause> Thanks, Katie.

As an "adult" who enjoys Harry Potter and finds merit in the stories for kids of the right age.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #3859
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
was that a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie tonight? I missed it!! It's more than 1/2 over
Yes, MSM! Sorry you are missing it. It is really good, wait for it to come around again.

Shrek, finally made his New Year's Resolution..."No more hallmark movies."
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #3860
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We watched the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie, "A Smile as Big as the Moon" as well. Great movie, and based on a real class. The "problem" with Hallmark HoF movies is that you not only cry during the movie, but you cry at half the commercials too!