What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Netflix/Amazon prime, I had the mistaken impression that they were pretty much the same, different movies but kind of equal. I was reading the other day that Amazon prime has 4 times the number of movies. I thought about subscribing to netflix, but not so much anymore.

We bought the DVD FoxCatcher. Based on a True story, wrestling, personality issues. It was very good. We had some interesting conversations after that movie about development of character virtues in leadership roles and life in general.

We watched The Age of Adaline last night. Little did I know that when I made my movie selections I was creating a Harrison Ford mini-marathon. At least I recognized him right away since he was playing a fictional role. Much easier than recognizing him as a historical figure (in "42") after the make-up magicians were done with him.

I was surprised at how much Himself enjoyed this film. Thankfully, it didn't have as much gratuitous romance as I feared, since he enjoys rom-coms in small doses. He said that's because it was a science fiction movie! :ermm: I dunno. The premise is pretty fictional, but I looked at the movie more as a fantasy. At least we both liked it!

I just watched Darkest Hour. Very well written, very well acted, very well directed and filmed. Gary Oldman did a fantastic job as Winston Churchill.

I am a history fan/buff. My depth of knowledge on Winston Churchill is not great, but I know the basics of the English entry into WWII.

Churchill, in real life, was a flawed hero, as most are. But, I found this portrayal to be fair, even if not totally honest, from what I do know. The fight between appeasement and war was a serious fight, but, in the end, Churchill got it right in regards to negotiating peace with Hitler. As Churchill said, you can't negotiate with a tiger when your head is in its mouth.

History aside, it was a really good, well crafted movie.

CD

We watched "Killing Lincoln" tonight. I thought it was good in spite of my usual narcoleptic moments around 11:15 PM (happens every night, no matter what I'm watching). I had already read the O'Reilly and Dugard book "Killing Kennedy", so I knew the kind of historic sleuthing that goes into their books. Himself enjoyed it even though he knew much of the history of Booth and his plot, seeing as he had read the Jim Bishop book "The Day Lincoln Was Shot".

Surprise - no guest appearance by Harrison Ford anywhere to be seen. :-p

Thanks buckytom.

buckytom--I just got done watching EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED for the third time. Thank you again for recommending it. I don't know how to explain it but I just love this movie.

from an earlier post - I became curious about the movie 'Hacksaw Ridge'.

I like movies and generally don't mind war movies... fictional.

Stories depicting real life scenarios upset me and I don't usually watch them. All I can think of is the loss of life (on both sides) because someone sitting in a glorious chair says it should be so.

What more can I say? a good movie that really proves what idiotic decision can be made on behalf of the loyals and where they don't get their legs shot off or the skin melted off their faces..

I'm not a pacifist - far from it... but I am also not a war monger.

sorry - still feeling a little raw

After just reading the book of the same name, we watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

It was a touching movie and I, a predicted, cried during about 20% of the film.

It strayed from the book but it was still quite good.

After just reading the book of the same name, we watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

It was a touching movie and I, a predicted, cried during about 20% of the film.

It strayed from the book but it was still quite good.

I really enjoyed that movie when it first came out.
The film was released in North America on December 25, 2008 to positive reviews. The film went on to receive thirteen Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director for Fincher, Best Actor for Pitt and Best Supporting Actress for Taraji P. Henson, and won three, for Best Art Direction, Best Makeup, and Best Visual Effects.

Back
Top Bottom