What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for your critique of the film, I take more stock in what you have to say about it than I do the so-called professional critics.

My goodness, PF. That's very kind of you to say, especially knowing you like Sci-Fi as much as I do.

As I recall, you didn't like the new Star Trek as much as I did. You really should go back and look at it again, if you have the chance. I didn't love it at first, either, but it really grew on me as the season went on. Seriously, it took almost the ENTIRE season before I went "Wow. This is great." By the end of the season I was hooked. CBS is doing good by this series. Trust me. Go back and watch it again.

Last night, late, on TCM. “The Iron Petticoat” with Bob Hope and Kathryn Hepburn. It was pretty funny!

2am here in Vegas, guess I’m a night owl.

Just finished watching “The Ramen Girl” on Hulu. Guess what it’s about. You got it! An American girl in Tokyo who laboriously learns to make ramen under the tutelage of a crusty old ramen chef. It was a sweet little movie with a few laughs. Half of the dialogue is in Japanese, with subtitles. Mostly, it was nostalgic for me, and made me want to open my own little ramen shop.

A much better movie about ramen and learning how to make it is the Japanese film “Tampopo.” And it’s not just about ramen, it’s about food, our relationship to it, and a commentary on Japanese societyIf you find it anywhere and can tolerate the subtitles, it is worth it! In the meantime, though, if you have Hulu, ‘The Ramen Girl” is a pleasant way to to spend an evening. You might wanna have some ramen on hand though!

My goodness, PF. That's very kind of you to say, especially knowing you like Sci-Fi as much as I do.

As I recall, you didn't like the new Star Trek as much as I did. You really should go back and look at it again, if you have the chance. I didn't love it at first, either, but it really grew on me as the season went on. Seriously, it took almost the ENTIRE season before I went "Wow. This is great." By the end of the season I was hooked. CBS is doing good by this series. Trust me. Go back and watch it again.

I'll give it another chance, thanks.

2am here in Vegas, guess I’m a night owl.

Just finished watching “The Ramen Girl” on Hulu. Guess what it’s about. You got it! An American girl in Tokyo who laboriously learns to make ramen under the tutelage of a crusty old ramen chef. It was a sweet little movie with a few laughs. Half of the dialogue is in Japanese, with subtitles. Mostly, it was nostalgic for me, and made me want to open my own little ramen shop!

It was kind of a chick-flick to me, but worth a watch as a foodie.

Just finished watching “The Ramen Girl” on Hulu. Guess what it’s about. You got it! An American girl in Tokyo who laboriously learns to make ramen under the tutelage of a crusty old ramen chef. It was a sweet little movie with a few laughs. Half of the dialogue is in Japanese, with subtitles. Mostly, it was nostalgic for me, and made me want to open my own little ramen shop.

A much better movie about ramen and learning how to make it is the Japanese film “Tampopo.” And it’s not just about ramen, it’s about food, our relationship to it, and a commentary on Japanese societyIf you find it anywhere and can tolerate the subtitles, it is worth it! In the meantime, though, if you have Hulu, ‘The Ramen Girl” is a pleasant way to to spend an evening. You might wanna have some ramen on hand though!

Ramen Girl is a chick flick and I enjoyed it. Too bad that actress in that movie died a year or two later.

Tampopo is a classic movie as you described. I've seen it like three times over the years.

Lol, Chuck.

I just watched Black Panther as well. It was good. About the same as any other Marvel comics movie.

As far as politics go, it's nonsense. I'd be pissed off about the storyline (if I were black) about Wakanda remaining neutral throughout the slave trade, and even into current day Africa and all reasons for African diaspora.

If anyone is basing any of their real opinions about life on superhero movies, they might want to re-think it.

You'd be surprised how many people, especially the younger ones, live according to the show they are watching on TV, thinking that it is how real life is. Sickening. :rolleyes:

Ramen Girl is a chick flick and I enjoyed it. Too bad that actress in that movie died a year or two later.

Tampopo is a classic movie as you described. I've seen it like three times over the years.
Have you seen any of Itami Juzo’s other films? “Funeral” and “A Taxing Woman” are two very good ones. The latter is quite funny. Same actress from “Tampopo.”

I saw 'Funeral' many years ago.

And speaking of funerals here's a recent movie I really enjoyed on Netflix: "Okuribito"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyMFXW57VQ8
This one looks really sad! I’ll have to look for it on Netflix. Thanks!
PS
The Japanese titles for those 2 other films are Ososhiki and Marusa no Onna.
The first was always difficult for me to get the humor, because I’m not now nor was I ever familiar with Japanese funeral rites and customs. Still, if you can find it, it’s worth a watch!

The next documentary I saw for free and you can too is the very positive documentary Served Liked A Girl. Watch it now as it is only available online until 6/12/2018.

Served Like a Girl - Full Film | Video | Independent Lens | PBS

A solid look at female military veterans that are getting ready for the 2015 edition of the “Ms. Veteran America” beauty pageant. The woman come from all backgrounds and problems including PTSD, Homelessness, illness, and missing legs.

This was a solid production learning about the contestants military life, seeing the contestants get ready for the pageant, and finally the pageant itself.

Last edited:
BFG!

Yes more kids movies, I loved it, the kid loved it and now named dad's friend BFG.

I found A Taxing Woman on YouTube. The whole movie! Get your popcorn out and make a garbage can full, because the movie is over 3 hours long!

https://youtu.be/6ljmGQ1GrKw

I’ve gotta apologize, folks. I posted that link to YouTube for the filmA Taxing Woman without viewing it first. Although the little attached blurb says “cc in English” there are no subtitles I could pull up. So unless your Japanese is really really good, you might wanna just take a pass!

When the women are speaking, I can usually follow, but when the male actors start in with there “male speak,” I get totally lost.

Zannen desu, Gomen nasai!

Back
Top Bottom