What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve gotta apologize, folks. I posted that link to YouTube for the filmA Taxing Woman without viewing it first. Although the little attached blurb says “cc in English” there are no subtitles I could pull up. So unless your Japanese is really really good, you might wanna just take a pass!

When the women are speaking, I can usually follow, but when the male actors start in with there “male speak,” I get totally lost.

Zannen desu, Gomen nasai!

Well, I watched the first half of the film last night. I had to cut it short because it was getting late....approaching 2AM. I plan on watching the rest of the film tonight
For me, I didn't mind the no sub-titles. There were a few government terms and phrases I didn't quite understand. But I was a bit annoyed with the dialogue being out of sync with the picture. But for a free full length movie on You Tube this happens quite often.

I'm enjoying the movie so far, pretty funny and wacky the way they go about conducting their business....:LOL:

I watched "Annhilation" last night, starring Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I guess you would call it sci-fi/horror. The premise is that a meteorite crashes near the Florida coast, carrying a mysterious force that refracts and combines the DNA it finds into new lifeforms. All of this happens within an area called "The Shimmer," which is growing larger. The government has sent military personnel into the area to investigate, but no one ever comes back, except for one guy, the husband of Natalie Portman's character. The government then tries a different approach and sends a group of five women scientist volunteers, including Portman, into the shimmer.

Typically in movies like this, the main characters are usually gun-slinging macho guys, so the idea of putting women in this role was kind of different. However, the women all ended up being gun-slinging macho guys, and so it could just as well have been a bunch of dudes. The guy who directed this film also directed "Ex Machina," which I liked better overall. This movie had the same sort of feel, though, where characters often do a lot of things that just don't make any sense.

I have mixed feelings on it. It was definitely different, but a little more violent than I normally like. It was also very slow in a lot of spots, and the last 30 minutes just sort of left me scratching my head. I may have to go back and watch it again, because I have a feeling there were a lot of little things that I missed the first time.

Last edited:
I watched "Annhilation" last night, starring Natalie Portman and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I guess you would call it sci-fi/horror. The premise is that a meteorite crashes near the Florida coast, carrying a mysterious force that refracts and combines the DNA it finds into new lifeforms. All of this happens within an area called "The Shimmer," which is growing larger. The government has sent military personnel into the area to investigate, but no one ever comes back, except for one guy, the husband of Natalie Portman's character. The government then tries a different approach and sends a group of five women scientist volunteers, including Portman, into the shimmer.

Typically in movies like this, the main characters are usually gun-slinging macho guys, so the idea of putting women in this role was kind of different. However, the women all ended up being gun-slinging macho guys, and so it could just as well have been a bunch of dudes. The guy who directed this film also directed "Ex Machina," which I liked better overall. This movie had the same sort of feel, though, where characters often do a lot of things that just don't make any sense.

I have mixed feelings on it. It was definitely different, but a little more violent than I normally like. It was also very slow in a lot of spots, and the last 30 minutes just sort of left me scratching my head. I may have to go back and watch it again, because I have a feeling there were a lot of little things that I missed the first time.

I think you are spot on with this one and I don't really think you missed much.

I think you are spot on with this one and I don't really think you missed much.

Steve Kroll, there's articles out there about movie remakes being done now with women in the roles that previously, men played. "GhostBusters" remake, "Overboard" remake, and now "Oceans 11" remake, to name a few. Sign of the times, recently.

Last edited:
Steve Kroll, there's articles out there about movie remakes being done now with women in the roles that previously, men played. "GhostBusters" remake, "Overboard" remake, and now "Oceans 11" remake, to name a few. Sign of the times, recently.

I have no problem with women in roles normally played by men. More power to them. But in this movie, it seemed completely out of place. First of all, they're on a potential suicide mission, but yet they're all wearing makeup, and not a hair out of place. Even after wrestling an alligator, no less.

I've spent time camping and fishing with women. Believe me, after a few days in the woods, they're just as grubby and sweaty as the guys. :LOL:

After being a bit curious about the situation...

We watched The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" last night.

Very, very interesting film. Amazing what took/takes place in the medical world.

Both of us found it quite interesting and educational.

Would recommend if you are those who prefer real-life films.

I just watched The Last Movie Star. Burt Reynolds plays a a "has been" movie star, but there was nothing "has been" about his performance in this well written and well acted movie. Fantastic story, and Mr. Reynolds does a perfect job in his role. Part fiction, part real??? Not sure, but he played it as though he lived it, at least part of it.

Critics call it a "great comeback," but I think of this movie as a great step up for an actor who shows a new dimension in his acting talent.

If I had three thumbs, I'd raise them all.
After reading your review, I had to put this movie in my library folder. Just ordered it up and got it last week, just got around to watching it today. It was everything you say and more! We loved it, too. As the credits rolled, I said "Burt Reynolds and a cast of little-knowns". Himself said it almost seemed as if he was in there as a big-draw actor so that people would watch the movie, giving those other actors a chance to perhaps move on to big roles of their own. The relationship between Vic Edwards and Lil McDougal was especially sweet. Odd, but sweet. :LOL:

We were scrolling through one of the streaming services the other day. I want to say it was Netflix, but it could have been Amazon Prime or Hulu, and we stopped to watch the trailer for The Man Who Invented Christmas. I had put it in our watchlist just because I'm a Dickens fan, but wasn't sure if we'd take the time to watch it. I'm so glad we did. It was a fantastic take on the life of Dickens while also incorporating some of A Christmas Carol into its plotline. When we were done with the movie we both looked at each other and said, "THAT was worth the time to watch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3ctBjG6yI

On the plane yesterday, finally got to see Post. Liked it a lot. Definitely worth watching.

Since I had time, and I remembered all the hoopla around Deadpool i started watching that one. Oh my gosh. Thank G-d the plane landed. The stupidity of highest degree. Dumb, vulgar, pointless, violent, horrible. Complete and utter degradation.

New to me, watched Wind River, last night. Excellent movie and it was filmed on the reservation here in Wyoming. Loved Jeremy Renner as a cowboy.

Also, Early Man, by the same creator of Wallace and Grommit. Enjoyed it, quite funny in parts.

I watched a French movie on Netflix over the weekend, Sunday's Illness. It was about a mother-daughter relationship, 35 years after abandoning her daughter when she was 8.
Good film, but very depressing.

Our Netflix choice last night was a 2016 Eddie Murphy called Mr. Church. It was a wonderful film. Sweet and heartwarming. As it turns out it was based on an actual friendship. Showed a completely different side of Eddie Murphy. When it was over, we both felt really, really good.

Just finished watching (Netflix) "Big Game" with Samuel Jackson.

Cheesy but thoroughly entertaining! Take it for what it is. Of course, left me with a smile on my face... and a favourable review here ! LOL

After reading your review, I had to put this movie in my library folder. Just ordered it up and got it last week, just got around to watching it today. It was everything you say and more! We loved it, too. As the credits rolled, I said "Burt Reynolds and a cast of little-knowns". Himself said it almost seemed as if he was in there as a big-draw actor so that people would watch the movie, giving those other actors a chance to perhaps move on to big roles of their own. The relationship between Vic Edwards and Lil McDougal was especially sweet. Odd, but sweet. :LOL:

We just finished watching The Last Movie Star.

I've never been a B.R. fan and we almost turned it off after about 20 min. thinking it was a waste of time. I'm glad we didn't as by the time it was over we were down right impressed with it. Well worth watching to be sure. Turns out since he no longer has a purdy face, the old jerk learned how to give a great acting performance.

Last weekend we watched "The Man Who Knew Infinity," about an Indian man who is a math prodigy and ends up studying at Cambridge. The time period is just before WWI. It was very good.

Back
Top Bottom