"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #4081
Chef Extraordinaire

I went to "Hunger games" with some friends from my 7th grade class...
It is based off the book series which is really good as well. A few details were off but for the most part they did pretty good. It is about a futuristic world where there were 13 districts and a capital but after a rebellion from the districts, district 13 was wiped off the map and the capital started something called the hunger games where they send 24 children (a boy and a girl from each district) into an arena and last one standing wins. in the movie it is the 74th annual hunger games and katniss everdeen volunteered to go into the arena in place of her sister. She wants to win because she needs to come home to take care of her sister because her dad died in a mining explosion a couple years ago and when that happened her mom went into depression and stopped working which left katniss to fend for her and her sister. the last year her mom started working again but katniss won't forgive her for that. Katniss is really good at shooting a bow and arrow and is known for that. in the movie she finds out the boy sent from her district, peeta mellark, has had a crush on her forever but only one can come out alive. I highly recommend this movie. but it has some slightly bloody scenes so only children who dont get squimish easily but I saw as young as 10 in the theather and maybe even a little younger would be okay.
Written by my 13 year old daughter.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #4082
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
It is based off the book series which is really good as well. A few details were off but for the most part they did pretty good. It is about a futuristic world where there were 13 districts and a capital but after a rebellion from the districts, district 13 was wiped off the map and the capital started something called the hunger games where they send 24 children (a boy and a girl from each district) into an arena and last one standing wins. in the movie it is the 74th annual hunger games and katniss everdeen volunteered to go into the arena in place of her sister. She wants to win because she needs to come home to take care of her sister because her dad died in a mining explosion a couple years ago and when that happened her mom went into depression and stopped working which left katniss to fend for her and her sister. the last year her mom started working again but katniss won't forgive her for that. Katniss is really good at shooting a bow and arrow and is known for that. in the movie she finds out the boy sent from her district, peeta mellark, has had a crush on her forever but only one can come out alive. I highly recommend this movie. but it has some slightly bloody scenes so only children who dont get squimish easily but I saw as young as 10 in the theather and maybe even a little younger would be okay.
Written by my 13 year old daughter.
Your 12 year old daughter wrote the books? Or this review? LOL

Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #4083
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Good review, simonbaker's daughter!
I saw Hunger Games today, too. It was SO good, and I highly recommend it also. MY daughter and I had an interesting discussion at dinner about whether someone who had NOT read the book could appreciate the movie as well as those of us who have. We both felt our favorite moments from the book were right there on the screen, too!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #4084
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda123 View Post
Saw The Hunger Games over the weekend! Intense! Of course the book is better, but the movie did a good job in presenting the story.
For me, this may be a rare case of the movie being better than the book...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #4085
Master Chef

Gladiator
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #4086
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We just saw "The Abduction" with Taylor Lautner. When I bought it, I figured it would be "okay," but it actually turned out to be pretty good.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #4087
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We watched Win Win tonight. It was not the movie I was expecting but it was quite good.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #4088
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We just watched "Old Yeller." Believe it or not, neither of us had ever seen it. I knew the story and I think I had seen a small part of it, but this was the first time for both of us. We will probably watch the sequel, "Savage Sam," tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #4089
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We just watched "Old Yeller." Believe it or not, neither of us had ever seen it. I knew the story and I think I had seen a small part of it, but this was the first time for both of us. We will probably watch the sequel, "Savage Sam," tomorrow.
i was never allowed to see the end of old yeller. mom or dad would always drag me away to bed too early.

my older sisters always cried when they went to their beds, i guess because they were so happy that old yeller got to live out his life on a farm with lots of children.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #4090
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i was never allowed to see the end of old yeller. mom or dad would always drag me away to bed too early.

my older sisters always cried when they went to their beds, i guess because they were so happy that old yeller got to live out his life on a farm with lots of children.
I have never seen even the beginning or the middle. Nor havfe I seen Casablanca.