What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched "What The Deaf Man Heard" over the weekend. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I just happened to stumble upon it on the Hallmark Drama channel. It might be on Amazon or Netflix.

It's set in the mid 1940's through the '60's. A little boy, Sammy, is traveling on a bus with his mother. He wakes up on the bus in a small town in Georgia, without his mother. He's traumatized, pretends to be deaf, and is taken in by the small town locals for the next 20 years.

Matthew Modine, Tom Skerritt, Judith Ivey, and James Earl Jones are the main characters. It's genre says comedy/drama, and although there are some funny parts, it's not what I would call a LOL comedy at all. Very sweet and moving film, with a twist or two I didn't see coming.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/what_the_deaf_man_heard

Last edited:
I have seen that movie a couple of times. Well worth seeing it as often as possible. Beautiful well told story.

Mary Poppins Returns

I know, I know, this is “the last movie you watched” forum, and I haven’t actually seen this movie yet, but I really didn’t want to start a brand new thread...

I’ve spent my morning watching trailers and reviews of Mary Poppins Returns. I must say it looks nearly as enchanting as the original! I have some teeny tiny problems with Emily Blunt; mostly that she’s not Julie Andrews. Her British accent seems just a bit off, or different, or something (maybe one of you Brits out there can explain it), and her singing voice is lacking Andrews’ crystal clear soprano range.

But for me, it’s a must see, hopefully as soon as get out of here! In ‘64, I made my parents sit through it 17 times in the movie theatre, although not in one day. That’s how much much Mom and Dad loved me! (It also helped that movie theatres had little smoking rooms where Mom could indulge. And movies didn’t cost the price of a plane ticket back then.)

Has anyone seen the film? What did you think?

In ‘64, I made my parents sit through it 17 times in the movie theatre, although not in one day.

I've seen it a few times over the years.
We had a school field trip to go see this movie when it opened in Tokyo back in the mid 60's.
A couple of years later we had another field strip to the same theater to watch 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Last edited:
I made my parents sit through it 17 times in the movie theatre, although not in one day. That’s how much much Mom and Dad loved me!

Wow, I never thought of it that way. I didn't think it could be actually 'measured'=number of times they took me to the movies is how much they loved me. Now this makes complete sense.;)

I saw 2 movies in my childhood, one with a girlfriend and one with my aunt.
Malcolm X, and Poseiden Adventure.

It's a sweet story Joel. Treasure it.

"Parental Love" - how much discomfort they are willing to endure just because it gives their child joy. I get it completely, bliss!

...I have some teeny tiny problems with Emily Blunt; mostly that she’s not Julie Andrews. Her British accent seems just a bit off, or different, or something (maybe one of you Brits out there can explain it), and her singing voice is lacking Andrews’ crystal clear soprano range...
Sadly, Dame Julie no longer has that crystal clear soprano...:cry:

I don't remember seeing Mary Poppins in a theatre, but I do remember a date to watch "Sound of Music" sometime in the early 1970s. My date was a college theatre major, so he was interested in it from that aspect. When the movie opens and Maria does her spinny thing on the mountain top, he leans over and sings "The hills are alive with the sound of muzak..." :LOL: I've not been able to listen to that song with a straight face ever since.

SoM Trivia: 14 Facts About The Sound of Music

The only movie that I went to on a date was A Christmas Story. I think of that girl every time I see the movie on TV around this time of year.

I'm watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I haven't seen this since I was a kid. I forgot how much I liked Dick Van Dyke.

Beagle and I watched “National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation” again. Actually, I watched, Beagle snoozed. I always get a kick out of that movie.

I was just plain lazy last night and went on a Marathon of Christmas Movies. Didn't feel like reaching for the remote. Surprise, surprise! Every one I watched were new ones. Only one was a repeat, and I skipped it.

Back
Top Bottom