What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We watched "The Greatest Showman" tonight, mostly because of the rave reviews it has received here. I'm always good for a musical; Himself, not so much. So...about a third of the way into the opening number I turned to him and said "oh, by the way, this is a musical". Animal grunt sound comes from my right. :LOL: When it was all over I asked "so how did you like it?" He said "it was surprisingly good". THAT is the highest compliment for a musical! He actually said he would watch it again, not for the story line (since there wasn't really all that much there) and not for the (toe-tapping, singable) songs, but for the production value and "flair" of it all.

I loved it. Best of all, Himself loves me. :heart: He put the "sing along" section of the Extras on just so I could go all theatre for a little bit.

Awww, what a sweetheart! SC and I saw it in the theater, and exactly the same thing happened..
So...about a third of the way into the opening number I turned to him and said "oh, by the way, this is a musical". Animal grunt sound comes from my right.
Turned out he loved it too. "That's Entertainment".

Because ROMA has so many Academy Award nominations I forced myself to watch it on Netfilx today. I should have known better. Hey there! Do you like black and white foreign films where basically nothing happens for 2+ hours and all of it is subtitled?
Do you like long, extended shots of people walking up stairs, turning off lights, washing dishes, and lots of dog poop? I'm disgusted with the nominations for this film. Don't waste your time.

ROMA. I initially stopped watching after the first 20 minutes thinking where this film was going. I came back to it about a month later after receiving the nominations and decided to resume watching it. I ended up liking the movie at the end.
But many of my friends who’ve seen it did not like it.

ROMA. I initially stopped watching after the first 20 minutes thinking where this film was going. I came back to it about a month later after receiving the nominations and decided to resume watching it. I ended up liking the movie at the end.
But many of my friends who’ve seen it did not like it.

I never give away the ending to a movie RF, but it the case of ROMA there wasn't even an ending to talk about.

I guess I'm glad I saw it, as otherwise there would be nothing at all to say about it. ;)

Last edited:
We watched The Lady In The Van last night.
An odd movie...I'm not sure if I liked it or not... DH changed rooms after a short while, "Why are you watching such a depressing movie?" :mellow:

Ohhhhh "The Lady In the Van"...I watched it mainly because I adore Maggie Smith, and she didn't disappoint. Very interesting flick imo.

The true story of Miss Shepherd, an eccentric woman of uncertain origins, who `temporarily' parked her broken-down van in writer Alan Bennett's London driveway, and proceeded to live there for the next 15 years.

Last night, we enjoyed a 2009 movie, on Netflix, we had not heard about...

Get Low.. Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray..

"When much-feared hermit Felix Bush (Robert Duvall) comes to town with a wad of cash and announces his intention to preside over his own funeral, fast-talking mortician Frank Quinn (Bill Murray) smells a big payday in the air. Frank sends his young apprentice, Buddy, to charm Felix and win Felix's business. As the day of the unusual event approaches, Buddy uncovers a long-held secret involving the hermit, a local widow (Sissy Spacek) and an Illinois preacher."

I am a fan of Robert Duvall and how I missed knowing about this, I have no idea..

Ross

Not us, Kayelle. We don't go for any of those award shows. We did see that "Green Book" won. I put our name on the library list for when they get their stock in. We're #268 for one of the 23 discs they're getting. I just looked - the wait list is up to 458 right now. Glad I thought of it a week or two ago.

CG...Maybe it's because I've lived just far enough away from Hollywierd all my life that the Academy Awards show to me is what the World Series is to you.

There were many years when I hosted or attended Oscar night parties with my friends who enjoyed going to the movies together. They were a real hoot when we would dress up in sweats and wear every piece of jewelry we owned. We'd vote on who we thought would win with $5 ballots during the red carpet time and the most wins took home the $$ at the end of the show.

We always had great food and fancy cocktails. TV's were not so big in those days, so we'd all gather around for a view of all the gowns and awards. Great times I think about every year. Now some of those same gals are my Lunch Bunch ladies, and we don't drive in the dark anymore.:(

Actually, Kayelle, while I'm a fan of baseball, I'm no so much into watching the World Series. Unless it's my beloved Cleveland Indians - and we were on the road from MA to FL when they played in 2016 and I had to listen via car radio for about half the games. This past year I think we popped over to it during commercial breaks, but I never watched a minute of it intentionally. I much prefer listening to a game on "radio"; watching baseball is boooooring.

We did go to an Oscar party early on in this neighborhood. One of the neighbors up the street loved holding the annual NYE party, Oscar party, summer block party. Another neighbor had everyone over for the Super Bowl. But the fun of those wasn't what was on the screen, but elbow-bumping with neighbors and eating really tasty treats.

Back
Top Bottom