"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #4221
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Another Netflix special: The Genius Within. This was an interesting doc on the life of that astonishing Canadian classical pianist, Glenn Gould. My goodness!
I really enjoyed that one.

If you are into Docs, thanks GOD Netflix has plenty to choose from, or else I would have ditched it a long time ago, BUT I digress. . .

Between the Folds was a pretty awesome Doc. I watched out of boredom, and was really glad that I did. was pretty amazing.

(God went)Surfing with the devilamazing. Just really good, imo.

Bill Cunningham New Yorkwas really enjoyable, and I have a lot of respect for that man, going strong and all of his work is still very relevant.

The Way We Get Bywas pretty insightful, and thought provoking.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #4222
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The Avengers, the movie was fantastic, loved it.

Was not in love with the 3D and the BigD Theater. I actually got a headache watching, wonder if it is my no-line trifocals or astigmatism that made it difficult. The "Deluxe" seats were nice at first, but too high. My feet dangled, causing incredible pain in my knees.

Curiosity is slaked, won't need that experience again. Besides, it was very expensive for tickets, popcorn and pop.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #4223
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
While my experience with the latest 3d films is limited, I will say that the TRUE 3D offered, is a lot better than say the imax 3d, where there is a LOT of ghosting. The true 3D is pretty awe inspiring.

That being said, I will wait for the avengers to hit bluray. Just not into going to the movies anymore, too costly, too crowded, too over hyped. I can sit in the mancave with my 60inch LED, Full Theater Dolby 7.1 sound set up, pause the movie if need be, and not worry about annoying teens texting/chatting/yakking on the phone, the whole time.

There have been very few films lately where I am like, "Oh Shiiiiiii. . . I NEED to see that on the big screen!"
Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #4224
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I will be in the theater for The Hobbit. We got to, maybe, two movies a year.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #4225
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I usually only go to the cheapie movie theatre. The other ones have too many ads and they are so loud that I find it unpleasant, even with my fingers in my ears. You go to the movie theatre for the experience, could be it's the big screen, socializing with friends, etc. Having my hearing blasted is not an experience I enjoy and definitely don't want to pay for that. I can watch it later on DVD or at the cheapie theatre.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #4226
Head Chef

Watched "Judy Berlin" last night. Not much of a story, but it was fun watching the 1999 performances of some interesting actors: Edie Falco in the title role, lesser but nearly equal parts for Barbara Barrie, Bob Dishy, Madeline Kahn, Anne Meara, Julie Kavner. An actor named Aaron Harnick had a good-sized part, but he didn't look at all familiar.

"Mars Attacks" is due in my mailbox today. Whee!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #4227
Head Chef

Mars did attack last night. What a goofy movie! Surprise. This was Tim Burton's do-over. It seemed as though everybody and his brother (or sister) was in the cast. Instead of a song-worm, today playing in my head will be the Martians' "ack ack ack." Swell special effects.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #4228
Executive Chef

what a movie buff you've become, tin--or am i just now noticing?
Old 05-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #4229
Half Baked

I was at the in-laws last night and they rented "We bought a Zoo". Not your typical Matt Damon flick but I liked it. It is based on true story and I thought it was done well.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #4230
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie
Mars did attack last night. What a goofy movie! Surprise. This was Tim Burton's do-over. It seemed as though everybody and his brother (or sister) was in the cast. Instead of a song-worm, today playing in my head will be the Martians' "ack ack ack." Swell special effects.
First time I saw "Mars Attacks!" it really disturbed me. Now I really enjoy it! "Ack ack" has become a permanent part of my vocabulary.

We saw "The Reef" last night, a light diversion. "Jaws" it ain't, but filled the time before SNL.