"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #4251
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
What bugs me are the movies that are about 60% normal volume, 20% explosions, and 20% whispering!
Yes! I've noticed that every single one of the Batman movies seems to be like that. Drives me nuts because you don't dare take your hand off the remote for even a second.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #4252
Senior Cook

I've been on a Mel Gibson kick lately - which is odd, because I'm not really a huge fan.

Anyways, watched 'Apocalypto' yesterday. A really powerful movie, spoken completely in Mayan (with English subtitles). I'm not normally into movies that are all subtitles, but this movie is awesome!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #4253
Head Chef

I tried watching regular tv last night but there are so many commercials it was horrible. I'll be putting a movie on tonight.

When I put on a DVD, since they get so loud and so soft, I put the english subtitles on. If I haven't fallen asleep, I can at least read it without waking the neighbors with the noise of the movie.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #4254
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We had pre-ordered "Red Tails" on ebay and it came today. We just finished watching it. We really liked it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #4255
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We watched Source Code last night. It was surprisingly good in spite of the Ground Hogs Day effect.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #4256
Chef Extraordinaire

JFK

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4257
Head Chef

Last one was "Everybody's Fine" - De Niro. Not a good choice if you're feeling sorry for yourself because you haven't heard from the kids. Well done, but not exactly uplifting.

Before that was "The Way Back," the movie version of a book I read recently, supposedly written by a Polish man who along with several others escaped from a Soviet labor camp in Siberia. They (most of them) finally made it all the way to Tibet. Ed Harris was in the movie as the lone American. IMO he's always really good. There's some question as to whether the author of the book actually made the trek or if he "stole" the story.

Tonight is "Paris, Je T'aime" with Natalie Portman, Willem Dafoe, Bob Hoskins.

Vitauta, I was just catching up and saw your earlier post. Sorry I hadn't seen it. Yes, I LOVE a good movie and am so grateful for Netflix.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #4258
Head Chef

I watched Xmen last night for the umpteenth time. I just can't pass over an xmen movie.......
Old 05-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #4259
Executive Chef

Friday Night 25th: The Inheritance of The Hansens

1stly: LA HERENCIA DE LOS HANSEN a Chilean and German film 2007 with Franco Nero, Bettina Zimmermann and Oliver Bootz is a favorite film which I have seen over the last 5 years several times. I am a Franco Nero afficionada which means Fan in English. It is quite an interesting crime mystery about the death of Franco´s father and the love of a woman and a daughter he had never known existed until she came to his Ranch to tell him of the truth of her Mother who had not killed his dad, and of her disappearance which had to do with his sister who paid off the Nuns at the Convent to hide her and her Mother ... The photography of Chile is quite impressive.

2ndly: MARISOL, the Shirley Temple of Spain, had been the most stunning young child star of the 1950s in Spain. Her real name, PEPA FLORES, a blonde, blue eyed singing childhood actress now in her early 60s hails from Málaga, though one would never believe her Spanish. Her documentary on her childhood acting career was on Friday the 25th. I have seen it as well, however, she is one of my fave classics ...

Ciao.
Margi. Cintrano.

Margi.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #4260
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I was in the mood for an "end of the world if someone doesn't act fast to save it" movie, so we watched one we just got last night, "Arctic Blast." Not bad. We have seen much better, but we have also seen much worse.