"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #4511
Head Chef

"I Like Killing Flies" was my Netflix last night. A documentary on Shopsin's, a "hole-in-the-wall" Greenwich Vilage restauran of long standing. I get the feeling I should have heard of it many years ago. The head man, Kenny Shopsin, would only seat parties of 4 or less and throw out the 5's with gusto and no remorse. Besides cooking everything under the sun, he is a philosopher at heart. Very entertaining. R rated for regular old NYC language.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #4512
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We saw "The Sons Of Katie Elder" (John Wayne, Dean Martin) tonight. As much as I love John Wayne, I had never seen it. John Wayne was so good that he was able to squeeze 14 shots from his six-shooter.

Later we finally saw a movie I have been wanting James to see. "Mildred Pierce," with Joan Crawford. It has always been one of my favorites, and I have looked for it for years. I found it for something like $13 for four Joan Crawford movies ("Mildred Pierce," "The Damned Don't Cry," "Humoresque," and "Possessed"). After watching "Mildred Pierce," of course I had to go to YouTube to watch Carol Burnett's spoof, "Mildred Fierce."

Mildred Fierce - YouTube

Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #4513
Master Chef

Rented Tin Tin for my kids yesterday, even they were not impressed.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #4514
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We saw "The Sons Of Katie Elder" (John Wayne, Dean Martin) tonight. As much as I love John Wayne, I had never seen it. John Wayne was so good that he was able to squeeze 14 shots from his six-shooter.

Later we finally saw a movie I have been wanting James to see. "Mildred Pierce," with Joan Crawford. It has always been one of my favorites, and I have looked for it for years. I found it for something like $13 for four Joan Crawford movies ("Mildred Pierce," "The Damned Don't Cry," "Humoresque," and "Possessed"). After watching "Mildred Pierce," of course I had to go to YouTube to watch Carol Burnett's spoof, "Mildred Fierce."

Mildred Fierce - YouTube
Barbara if you want an intense non violent movie, the original "Twelve Angry Men" with Henry Fonda and a stella cast. It is definitely a study in human nature.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #4515
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Barbara if you want an intense non violent movie, the original "Twelve Angry Men" with Henry Fonda and a stella cast. It is definitely a study in human nature.
I haven't seen that in years! We definitely need to get that! Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #4516
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I haven't seen that in years! We definitely need to get that! Thanks!
The first time I saw it was live on Playhouse 90 on TV in the mid 50's. They didn't have as many commercials then. I sat there glued to the TV. I ran to the bathroom in spurts going a little bit at a time because I thought I would miss a word. Then when the movie came out, I would have sold the blood of all my kids to go see it. I have a copy of it and every so often I take it out and watch it. Being in black and white just makes it more intense. They didn't change one word of the play for the movie. But in the play, at the end, they just walked out of the jury room. In the movie, you see Henry Fonda on the steps of the courthouse. We didn't have a TV, so I saw it at my Aunt's house. None of us said a word the whole time. Not even during the commercials.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #4517
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The first time I saw it was live on Playhouse 90 on TV in the mid 50's. They didn't have as many commercials then. I sat there glued to the TV. I ran to the bathroom in spurts going a little bit at a time because I thought I would miss a word. Then when the movie came out, I would have sold the blood of all my kids to go see it. I have a copy of it and every so often I take it out and watch it. Being in black and white just makes it more intense. They didn't change one word of the play for the movie. But in the play, at the end, they just walked out of the jury room. In the movie, you see Henry Fonda on the steps of the courthouse. We didn't have a TV, so I saw it at my Aunt's house. None of us said a word the whole time. Not even during the commercials.
Cool! I don't go back quite as far, but close. I remember seeing my first color TV when I was six. The first thing I remember ever seeing on it (not sure if it was in color or not) was "Hennessy." I love old black and white movies.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #4518
Traveling Welcome Wagon

James found some made-for-TV movies on DVD for a good price (plus more than one movie per DVD). We watched "The Triangle" (about friends sailing in the Bermuda Triangle) awhile ago. It was entertaining. Now we are going to watch the second movie on the DVD, "2103: The Deadly Wake," with Malcolm McDowell. Okay, so we're not actually going to watch it with him, but he is in it.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #4519
Chef Extraordinaire

We saw spectacular 3D & animation at disney all week. It's amazing!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #4520
Chef Extraordinaire

Dial M For Murder with Ray Milland. I was going to watch the Longest Day with John Wayne. But I wanted a quiet movie.