"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #4601
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Last night I watched another good Netflix doc, titled "Sweetgrass." This was Montana sheepherders bringing their flocks down from the Absaroka/Beartooth Range of mountains. These folks were the genuine article -- and their lambs were not white as snow. In some of the scenes there were so many sheep and so much bleating it made me think this must be all the sheep in the world, gathered up. The scenery was beautiful -- really Big Sky country; the lifestyle looked pretty rough. It oughta be rated R for salty language. The sheep got called some unrepeatable names.
I get lost in the scenery of movies like that. At the end of this month when I shut off my land line, I am seriously thinking of applying to Netflix. I have never been much of a movie person. But of late, there are so many movies I want to see. Unless there are some shows on TV that really hold my interest, Netflix looks like it will become part of my life.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #4602
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I get lost in the scenery of movies like that. At the end of this month when I shut off my land line, I am seriously thinking of applying to Netflix. I have never been much of a movie person. But of late, there are so many movies I want to see. Unless there are some shows on TV that really hold my interest, Netflix looks like it will become part of my life.
We signed up for Netflix (just streaming) and Hulu Plus, and there are so many movies and TV shows available that we hardly watch regular TV anymore.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #4603
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My kids told me to see Shaun. I resisted but finally saw it and am glad - it was a hoot! Right up there with Idiocracy.
That is great Lizzie, a really funny film indeed
Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #4604
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ

You just need more screens to watch them on...
Too many screens too!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #4605
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Fortunately, TV shows are also available on Netflix. Lots of good BBC series titles show up there. And USA TV, too. I'm finally catching up with Mad Men. I don't get HBO and have seen quite a few good HBO movies there. Only problem is not seeing things immediately and can't discuss the latest with others, if that really is a problem. Not for me -- I don't hang out at a water cooler any more.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #4606
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We are planning to go out to eat with my step daughter and her BF this evening and go to see a movie. I ain't been to a movie theater in long, long time. I reckon there ain't no way out of it as I ain't in charge of planning.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #4607
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Fortunately, TV shows are also available on Netflix. Lots of good BBC series titles show up there. And USA TV, too. I'm finally catching up with Mad Men. I don't get HBO and have seen quite a few good HBO movies there. Only problem is not seeing things immediately and can't discuss the latest with others, if that really is a problem. Not for me -- I don't hang out at a water cooler any more.
There are so many movies I want to see. I don't go to the movie theaters anymore. Walking up and down the aisles is very hard on my leg. Most theaters have a special place for wheel chairs. I would go with my daughter, but our taste in movies is so opposite. I let her push me when I am in my chair. The last time I went was to see Mama Mia. I saw the stage play twice and have the DVD. I also have the complete musical score.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #4608
Chef Extraordinaire

watching old andy griffin movies today.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #4609
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
We are planning to go out to eat with my step daughter and her BF this evening and go to see a movie. I ain't been to a movie theater in long, long time. I reckon there ain't no way out of it as I ain't in charge of planning.
Bring ear plugs. I don't go to regular movie theatres because they run commercials before the movie at a volume that hurts, even with my fingers in my ears.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #4610
Head Chef

I watched a DVD this afternoon - I nearly always save my Netflixes for the evening, but this one had arrived cracked twice and when I got the third DVD I couldn't wait any longer. It's "How to Cook Your Life," and it documents a summer of Edward Espe Brown, Zen practitioner and cook. Yet another apparently famous personality I wasn't aware of. He's about 180 degrees from the guy in NYC whose hole-in-the-wall restaurant I mentioned a while back. I may try to take cooking more seriously and less seriously now. It's that kind of film. Intriguing.