"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4611
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
The Incredible Hulk 2008, good film
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #4612
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,096
"Our Idiot Brother". It was sweet and quirky, no huge laughs, but worth the watch. Sorta like "My Name is Earl".
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #4613
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
I saw that too Dawg, I liked it.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #4614
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
"Toast." A film based on the memoirs of famous UK chef and cookbook author, Nigel Slater. Starred Freddie Highmore as the youthful Nigel, with Helena Bonham Carter as his unpleasant stepmother. An unhappy story with a happy ending.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #4615
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
"2016" A really good documentary.
__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #4616
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
We are about 2/3 of the way through the 9-part mini-series "The Winds of War." It is one of my favorite mini-series ever (along with the sequel "War and Remembrance"), and I have been dying to see it again for years. We bought that and "War and Remembrance" a couple months ago on DVD. I had read the books first, and they were excellent!

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. I'll post it here because it is movie related. Years ago, if a show was called a mini-series, it had at least four parts. A movie that lasted two nights was called a 2-part movie, and a movie that lasted three nights was called either a trilogy or a 3-part movie. For the last few years, however, they are now calling 2-part movies "mini-series." I'm sorry, but two parts does not a series make, mini or otherwise!!!
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #4617
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We are about 2/3 of the way through the 9-part mini-series "The Winds of War." It is one of my favorite mini-series ever (along with the sequel "War and Remembrance"), and I have been dying to see it again for years. We bought that and "War and Remembrance" a couple months ago on DVD. I had read the books first, and they were excellent!

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. I'll post it here because it is movie related. Years ago, if a show was called a mini-series, it had at least four parts. A movie that lasted two nights was called a 2-part movie, and a movie that lasted three nights was called either a trilogy or a 3-part movie. For the last few years, however, they are now calling 2-part movies "mini-series." I'm sorry, but two parts does not a series make, mini or otherwise!!!
I have to say my favorite mini series is Centenial. I bought it on DVD a few years ago and I think it's about time to watch it again.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #4618
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We are about 2/3 of the way through the 9-part mini-series "The Winds of War." It is one of my favorite mini-series ever (along with the sequel "War and Remembrance"), and I have been dying to see it again for years. We bought that and "War and Remembrance" a couple months ago on DVD. I had read the books first, and they were excellent!

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. I'll post it here because it is movie related. Years ago, if a show was called a mini-series, it had at least four parts. A movie that lasted two nights was called a 2-part movie, and a movie that lasted three nights was called either a trilogy or a 3-part movie. For the last few years, however, they are now calling 2-part movies "mini-series." I'm sorry, but two parts does not a series make, mini or otherwise!!!
Barbara, we enjoyed both of those. I think we recorded them on vhs when they came on years ago. They'd be a lot better on DVD, I'm sure.
__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #4619
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have to say my favorite mini series is Centenial. I bought it on DVD a few years ago and I think it's about time to watch it again.
That is another of my favorite mini-series (and books)!
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #4620
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
"Toast." A film based on the memoirs of famous UK chef and cookbook author, Nigel Slater. Starred Freddie Highmore as the youthful Nigel, with Helena Bonham Carter as his unpleasant stepmother. An unhappy story with a happy ending.
This one sounds interesting, will look into it, thanks Lizzie
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.