What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YESTERDAY movie is on Amazon Prime for free. If you enjoy the multiverse theory movies, or the Beatles music, then you might like it. I loved it.

Just watched The Surprise Visit on Prime. A suspense thriller based on a true story, they say. We enjoyed it. All chase scenes take place on foot. ;)

Feel good movies-It Could Happen To You, and Baby Boom, on amazon prime. Win a lottery or a baby.

On Prime, we watched The Breach. The whole thing. Not sure why. Maybe...if we were teenagers, in a drive-in, back in the day, maybe....it would have been good. If you want to watch an old-fashioned horror movie...this is your movie. Otherwise, pass on it!

The next Oscar Shortlist documentary I was able to look at online was To Kill a Tiger. A fully English subtitled piece from India on a father getting justice for what happened to his 13 year old daughter in 2017. This is a heavy topic documentary. For just over 2 hours you go from start to finish with lasts over one year on his path for justice. It was a fully emotional piece as we see the people in the Indian village deal with the aftermath of what happened to the daughter. This was fully well produce piece as well which is why it fully deserved to be on the Oscar shortlist this year.

We watched Lift, which is an action-filled rom-com. It had a good cast and a good plot premise, but it fell a bit short in that there was too much predictability with the two key characters. I feel that they could do much better without losing the cast they have. Enjoyed it....but a little disappointed.

I just watched the first episode of a series newly arrived on Amazon Prime Video. It's called Astrid, and it's wonderful. It's a detective show set in Paris, in French of course with subtitles, and the title character is portrayed brilliantly by Sara Mortensen. Astrid Neilsen is autistic and employed by the criminal records department of the Paris police force, and Commander Raphaelle Coste (kind of a chief of detectives) finds her a great help in solving a series of unusual murders. Astrid has a terrific memory, which is not uncommon among autistic people, and a terrific focus for details. This makes her a great asset to detective work and so we have the basis for our series.

The thing is, American TV shows which feature autistic people are usually well-intentioned and might well depict the autistic character realistically, but almost never show the quiet, almost underground community formed by those general society considers "different". In the pilot episode ("Puzzle"), we meet others who are not neuro-typical and we get to know them and grow to like them.

I once (briefly) had a girlfriend that most would call mentally challenged if they were being polite, and often something quite nasty when being impolite, and I met her friends. I learned there's a community among those invisible people; people we may see but not want to look at so we look away. Astrid, or at least the first episode, opens this door.

It's charming, funny at times, and a fine glimpse into French TV, a new thing for me.

Took me 3 attempts to get through Napoleon what were you thinking Mr. Scott. IMO the movie is inconsistent, incoherent with a bunch of different events loosely tied together having no cohesiveness, a hot mess.

Last edited:
Watched The Brothers Sun. Eight episodes, Netflix. I enjoyed it, of course it has Michelle Yeoh, so for me it had to be.
Triad story of conflict within the family.

If your a sci-fi junkie then one of the best series I've ever watched was "The Expanse" on HBO I think. 6 seasons, get the popcorn out, it's a good one. :brows:

The Founder

Good Michael Keaton, but I didn't know that Ray Croc was such a ruthless person!

The next Oscar shortlist documentary I saw for free was Beyond Utopia. This one is about a group of people that are trying to defect from North Korea. You can try though the South Korean border but it is fully loaded with land mines. The group in the documentary go north through the China border but then they have go south west through Laos and Vietnam to finally get to freedom in Thailand with the help of whole lot of people. Get caught before Thailand and you could be done for.

The crazy journey was shot with cellphones purposely dropped in China and the whole route.

The documentary is rated TV-MA V for the content involved.

The next documentary I saw for free was this short one titled If Dreams Were Lightning: Rural Healthcare Crisis. This is under 26 minutes long and is on the Oscar shortlist for Short Form Documentary.

The documentary is about two ladies that drive in an special fully loaded RV in rural parts of the Appalachian area to offer healthcare to people that lack it.

What I liked about this documentary is all the patient interviews. They were most of the whole documentary and they were nice people in a tough situation.

I would say the long form Remote Area Medical documentary from 2013 is the better one to look at in this topic but this short one is worth a look.

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/documentaries/if-dreams-were-lightning-rural-healthcare-crisis/

Last edited:
Ready Player One (2018). The reviews I remember suggested this movie was a bit of a mess, that it didn't know what it wanted to be, or some such. I found this to not be the case. It's a fantasy, and it's fun. It's very Spielberg, and I get people are tired of Spielberg (I am too), but this was not a bad way to spend 2:20. On Amazon Prime Video.

"Devotion" Excellent story about Korean war pilots. But a tear jerker, keep box of tissues nearby. Based on a true story.
and something that caught me by surprise at the end in the credits - the actors actually rather closely looked like the people they were representing!

Back
Top Bottom