"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2007, 06:08 AM   #511
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
"Lock, stock, and two smoking barrels", really great funny movie about the London underworld.
Great flick! It's in our DVD library.

We watched Night at the Museum again this weekend, such a funny movie!
__________________

__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #512
Senior Cook
 
wysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 446
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
More mafia movies LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
Great flick! It's in our DVD library.

We watched Night at the Museum again this weekend, such a funny movie!
If you liked Lock, Stock, I am sure you also watched 'Snatch' and 'Layer Cake'
Both also great entertaining pieces. Look for 'The Memory of a Killer', a Belgian one in a similar style.
__________________

__________________
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #513
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
If you liked Lock, Stock, I am sure you also watched 'Snatch' and 'Layer Cake'
Both also great entertaining pieces. Look for 'The Memory of a Killer', a Belgian one in a similar style.
Yup, we own Layer Cake & Snatch! Haven't seen the Belgian one, have to look that up! Thanks!
__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #514
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,801
Went and saw The Golden Compass Sunday morning. Loved it.
__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #515
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Omigosh, jp. Buck and I watched Borat a while ago and were SO insulted. We'd heard a lot about it and thought the previews were fun. We still can't figure out what all the hype was about. What a waste of time!!!
I dont understand it either.
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #516
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,764
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
Went and saw The Golden Compass Sunday morning. Loved it.
It comes out this weekend here, we are looking forward to it as well

We watched August Rush a few days ago, an endearing, very charming, feel-good modern day fairy tale. I enjoyed it very much. Fred Highmore is a very talented lad (also outstanding in Finding Neverland), if he (or his agent/parents) chooses the films and roles wisely, he has got a bright future coming.

The only thing that bothered me was the relationship (if you call that a relationship indeed) of his parents. It seems hardly a foundation of such strong and profound bonding that would withstand so many years and eventually guided by something so magical. But then again the classic of the classics Romeo and Juliet were kinda like that too so who am I to complain...

You may find a lot of things that seem preposterous in this film if you choose to be "realistic", but if you are in a right mood and enjoy this type of films, you will be in for a very pleasant, enjoyable 2 hours.
__________________
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #517
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Im just in the beginning of Borat already very insulting to the eastern european countries.I respect all countries and in eastern europe they have really hard lives and to make jokes about them is not funny.
You did not get the social commentary then. He was not making fun of those countries or those people. He was making fun of the idiots who think those things are true and that is how people should be treated.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #518
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You did not get the social commentary then. He was not making fun of those countries or those people. He was making fun of the idiots who think those things are true and that is how people should be treated.
Really? Well I think Im a some what of an intelligent person and I did not get that at all especially the naked romps in the hotel room etc.Maybe I need to see it again because I just did not get that.So if I didn't get it who else did not get it? Honestly I think you are maybe trying to get a rise out of me if not then please tell me how I should have interpreted this movie.
__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #519
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
You most certainly are an intelligent person and I am not trying to get a rise out of you. I am being completely serious.

I heard an interview with him on NPR and the question was asked about if he was worried if people would just see this movie as him making fun of all sorts of minorities or gay people or what have you. His response (I do not remember exactly because it was over a year ago) was along the lines that the movie was about showing the intolerance that is out that and how stupid it is. He basically said that there were going to be two types of people who see his movie. Those who do not get it and think he is a jerk and making fun of all those people and those who do get it and realize that the people he is really making fun of are the ones who think it is OK to treat people the way it was depicted in the movie.

Take the scene where they are spending the night in the Jewish peoples house. I do not remember the scene exactly, but they were terrified that the Jews were going to turn into something (a rat maybe? I really can't remember). In real life he is Jewish. He was pointing out how stupid people are that think that Jews are any different than anyone else. He was making fun of anti-semites, not making fun of Jews.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #520
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You most certainly are an intelligent person and I am not trying to get a rise out of you. I am being completely serious.

I heard an interview with him on NPR and the question was asked about if he was worried if people would just see this movie as him making fun of all sorts of minorities or gay people or what have you. His response (I do not remember exactly because it was over a year ago) was along the lines that the movie was about showing the intolerance that is out that and how stupid it is. He basically said that there were going to be two types of people who see his movie. Those who do not get it and think he is a jerk and making fun of all those people and those who do get it and realize that the people he is really making fun of are the ones who think it is OK to treat people the way it was depicted in the movie.

Take the scene where they are spending the night in the Jewish peoples house. I do not remember the scene exactly, but they were terrified that the Jews were going to turn into something (a rat maybe? I really can't remember). In real life he is Jewish. He was pointing out how stupid people are that think that Jews are any different than anyone else. He was making fun of anti-semites, not making fun of Jews.
Its coming back on in a few minutes.Will watch it again with your perspective not sure I will change my mind we will see.Not only that but he was really pushing it to the limit of stupidity But you hafto know the majority of Americans are not going to get it it especially if I didnt.
Considering this thread maybe a a movie DC critics thread might be fun. With in limits of course
__________________

__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.