"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #5231
Master Chef

I hope you all don't mind, but I have a point of discussion. I'm puzzled why so many people watch a movie or read a book more than once? I've always wondered about this. There are so many books to be read and so many movies to be seen I don't understand why so many people repeat their experiences when they have already "been there, done that". It seems like a waste of time to me as long as I have an intact memory. With very few exceptions, I want a new experience with both books and movies. I'll admit I reread a favorite book of mine recently, that I read over thirty years ago and it was a wonderful revisit although I had forgotten much of it so that's an exception. On the other hand, I just don't understand seeing or reading a story I remember well. Maybe someone can enlighten me. By the way, I don't have a DVD or book library for obvious reasons.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #5232
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hope you all don't mind, but I have a point of discussion. I'm puzzled why so many people watch a movie or read a book more than once? I've always wondered about this. There are so many books to be read and so many movies to be seen I don't understand why so many people repeat their experiences when they have already "been there, done that". It seems like a waste of time to me as long as I have an intact memory. With very few exceptions, I want a new experience with both books and movies. I'll admit I reread a favorite book of mine recently, that I read over thirty years ago and it was a wonderful revisit although I had forgotten much of it so that's an exception. On the other hand, I just don't understand seeing or reading a story I remember well. Maybe someone can enlighten me. By the way, I don't have a DVD or book library for obvious reasons.
Once you have read the story (seen the movie) you know how it ends and the obvious storyline can no longer distract you. A second read/watch...then you can go past the obvious, look at the characters closer, notice things you missed the first time around. Many times I have reread/rewatched and made new discoveries in the story or been made to change my impression of the meaning the author intended.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #5233
Chef Extraordinaire

For me, I don't watch many movies a second time, but there have been a few exceptions, for example The Hobbit, which I have seen 3 times now, LOTR I have seen 4 times....the films have to be very good, entertaining or funny for me to watch again, but I do and enjoy them as much the other times

With books however, I only like to read a book once and then not revisit them
Old 03-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #5234
Chef Extraordinaire

great stories bear repeating.

and when you smoke pot during the first few go 'rounds, it's almost like it never happened before, but you think you're a genius because you can see the plot lines ahead of time, lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #5235
Executive Chef

ROFL!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #5236
Master Chef

Site Administrator

There are just some movies or books that need repeating, sometimes several times.

Last night we watched Melancholia for the first time (and the last for me..)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #5237
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sometimes a movie is just that good....
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #5238
Executive Chef

American Winter Documentary Review:

The documentary recently aired on HBO this month. It looks at 8 families in Portland Oregon who are struggling to get by in the 2011-2012 winter months.

It was totally honest and sad at times to watch. One family had the power turned off for a while, job problems with a few of the families, another family winds up in a shelter, etc...

nonprofit organization 211info in Portland gets used by some of the families to make it through the winter.

Updates at the end were promising for all families, but how long will some of the improved situations last though?

I say the documentary is a must see.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #5239
Wine Guy

I've been on a Mel Brooks kick lately and just bought the entire collection on Blu-Ray. We watched "History of the World" last night. Tonight I think it will be "High Anxiety", which I have never seen.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #5240
Chef Extraordinaire

For the same reason you listen to the same song again and again. It leaves you with emotions. Have you never said, "Oh, turn that up, I love this song!" Every Christmas you sing the same carols that you have sung for years.

Twelve Angry Men with Henry Fonda always reminds me of just how a jury should work and how personal hidden feelings can come into play. The Magnificant Seven sends a strong message of caring for the underdog. And some musicals just makes you feel happy. And you know all the songs along with the words. You have the luxury of singing along in your home. Can't do that in the theater.

You also will watch a movie again if there is someone you want to share those emotions with. You enjoyed it so much you want someone else to enjoy with you.

I have lost count of how many times I have read My Friend Flicka. I first read it in the fifth grade. It turned me on to reading because it was a story with a powerful message of love within a family and of animals. I have read the Kent Chronicals twice because of my love of American history. All eight books.