"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #5371
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
A great movie but I can't wrap my head around the cruelty and total disregard for human compassion and decency of the nazis .

Pure evil incarnate.

It's important to remember that "the holocaust" is but one in a long line seen throughout history.

The crusades, the Salem witch trials, the crimes against humanity of pol pot, Idi Amin, Uganda, Rwanda, the Spanish inquisition etc. and presently the islamofascist (never to be confused with Muslim) holocauast against "the infidel).

There are so many that it boggles my mind and I'm sure that I've left out so many.

Sorry to be so maudlin.
Nobody ever mentions the way we pushed the Native Americans out of our way
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #5372
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Nobody ever mentions the way we pushed the Native Americans out of our way
Yes, another story.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #5373
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, another story.
The last seen in Apocalypto comes to mind.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #5374
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

The last seen in Apocalypto comes to mind.
You're right, Pac. Enjoyed that movie, really bloody!

There is also a book, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. Haven't read it, but I should.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #5375
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You're right, Pac. Enjoyed that movie, really bloody!

There is also a book, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. Haven't read it, but I should.
All of us should read Wounded Knee...and many other books that will make you sick at the inhumanity of man. Only by reading about our collective past can we hopefully avoid the same things in the future. One group left off the list above is the Japanese-Americans and Italian-Americans who were held in camps, here in the United States. I can't forget them, my God-Mother was held in such a camp.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #5376
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis

Nobody ever mentions the way we pushed the Native Americans out of our way
That didn't come immediately to mind but I thought of it after my post.

You're absolutely right. The indigenous peoples of the Americas were subjected to a holocaust perpetrated by Europeans from the southern tip of Chile to the arctic circle.

As far as our internment camps during WWII go.... Although the treatment of those prisoners and the confiscation of their property was a travesty they were not slaughtered. Not a holocaust IMO.

It's important to note that many immigrant and native males of fighting age volunteered to serve in our military prove their love of and loyalty to their adopted/native country. They served with honor and distinction and many of them never saw the US again.

The Navajo code talkers very likely saved us from defeat.

http://www.navajocodetalkers.org/
__________________
jharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #5377
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 939
Soooo.....

In order to make up for this unintended hijack may I recommend...

http://m.imdb.com/find?q=code+talker...&button=Search
__________________
jharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #5378
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Using the Navajos native language for code was ingenious IMO.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #5379
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
That didn't come immediately to mind but I thought of it after my post.

You're absolutely right. The indigenous peoples of the Americas were subjected to a holocaust perpetrated by Europeans from the southern tip of Chile to the arctic circle.

As far as our internment camps during WWII go.... Although the treatment of those prisoners and the confiscation of their property was a travesty they were not slaughtered. Not a holocaust IMO.

It's important to note that many immigrant and native males of fighting age volunteered to serve in our military prove their love of and loyalty to their adopted/native country. They served with honor and distinction and many of them never saw the US again.

The Navajo code talkers very likely saved us from defeat.

Official Site of the Navajo Code Talkers
When I worked for Wyeth Pharaceutical we had a woman who was a Navejo. I mentioned the Code Talkers to her. She told me that growing up on the reservation, she never heard of them until the movie came out. She asked her uncle about it. She knew he served in the PTO. He was surprised that she knew. They kept the secret until the movie was released. Even then, he was reluctant to talk to her about it. She hounded him until he opened up with her. It definitely gave her a sense of pride. She saw the movie more than once.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #5380
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I worked for Wyeth Pharaceutical we had a woman who was a Navejo. I mentioned the Code Talkers to her. She told me that growing up on the reservation, she never heard of them until the movie came out. She asked her uncle about it. She knew he served in the PTO. He was surprised that she knew. They kept the secret until the movie was released. Even then, he was reluctant to talk to her about it. She hounded him until he opened up with her. It definitely gave her a sense of pride. She saw the movie more than once.
It wasn't much of a secret before the movie. I knew about them for years through high school history classes and other sources since. I love the movie and am glad it showed more people what a great contribution the code talkers made.
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.