"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #5541
Senior Cook

Over the weekend we watched a small drama-comedy called ''Oranges''.Thought it was a very good DVD about two families in a New Jersey suburb. Very adult with good acting. Also saw "Jack Reacher" DVD with Tom Cruise,not a big ''T.C.'' fan but it was well done with a very good story that didn't rely on special effects and ''C.G.I.''although it did have very good car chase scenes and good acting. Followed ''Reachers'' profile from the book series pretty well.Not sure I would pay full price at the local cinema, but liked the DVds.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #5542
Executive Chef

Just finished watching "Source Code". Sort of Sci-Fi. Pretty good.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #5543
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I watched Kung Fu Hustle again .. one of the best action/comedy kung fu movies ever
Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #5544
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Watched Bernie, which was based on true events, black comedy at it's best.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #5545
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
After Memorial Day, I watched Apocalypse Now Redux. The movie seemed a little different with the extra footage. Then, again, I haven't seen it in a while. Still, a great movie & great cast.
It seems every time it's on it's Redux. I haven't seen the original in so long I don't even recognize the extra footage.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #5546
Master Chef

Not fade away - Awful
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #5547
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Just finished watching "Source Code". Sort of Sci-Fi. Pretty good.
We loved that film
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #5548
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
it took me a while to warm to matt damon too. an even bigger sin in moviedom--i am only now getting ready to like leonardo dicaprio. i think he looks like the gatsby i envisioned in the book. i have never thought him handsome, or possessing sex appeal which for a leading man, seems to be a desirable, if not necessary trait to have....
Re Leonardo, did you see What's Eating Gilbert Grape? That's been quite some time ago, when Leo was just a kid. I really thought they had hired a boy with a disability -- like I thought Gary Sinese in Forest Gump was actually an amputee. Johnny Depp was very good as Gilbert Grape; Juliet Lewis as his girlfriend. I always thought it a shame that very good, poignant film was stuck with such a frivolous-sounding title.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #5549
Executive Chef

that's what my girl says too--'but mom, have you seen him in what's eating gilbert grape?' i think i may check it out later today. but now my desire for seeing gatsby is in a decline, so....
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #5550
Executive Chef

i have just signed up for a 30 day free trial of amazon prime, so i can stream movies. what do you say, good move/bad move? i will watch 'what is eating gilbert grape for my first 'free' movie. at $6.66/mo., i figure i need to watch 3 or 4 worthwhile movies or so. i am very hard to please when it comes to movies. i don't generally like most popular films, and not even most popular genres today.but i guess i have those 30 days to figure out if it is worthwhile for me or not.

is there anything else that my amazon prime is good for besides viewing movies online?

can i hear from someone of you who is a member already, and likes or doesn't like the service? my hulu plus iwill be expiring shortly....

i sometimes wonder, how did i manage my life before dc. i bet some of you think that about me too....:)