"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #5791
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We went to the Imax yesterday with BIL and his ex and saw Hunger Games. OMG, it was LOUD! The movie followed the book very closely, but the book wasn't nearly as LOUD!

I really want to see Pacific Rim, but I will not go to see it in IMax.....my eardrums would never recover!

We saw Hunger Games Thursday night. Not as loud and not in IMAX, we went to a historic theater near us.

Pacific Rim is on disc already.
__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #5792
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

We saw Hunger Games Thursday night. Not as loud and not in IMAX, we went to a historic theater near us.

Pacific Rim is on disc already.
Good to know. Not a big fan of IMAX, even though this was my first experience with it.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #5793
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good to know. Not a big fan of IMAX, even though this was my first experience with it.
IMAX does bring a much bigger screen with a higher resolution....
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #5794
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

IMAX does bring a much bigger screen with a higher resolution....
I'm not a fan of looking up Donald Sutherland's nose and seeing a huge booger. It's much bigger in IMAX. Everyone's pores were huge!

I felt I was invading everyone's privacy. And it was scary loud.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #5795
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm not a fan of looking up Donald Sutherland's nose and seeing a huge booger. It's much bigger in IMAX. Everyone's pores were huge!

I felt I was invading everyone's privacy. And it was scary loud.
Oh yer so funny....
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #5796
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

Oh yer so funny....
At least we didn't get the 3-D glasses....gah!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #5797
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,170
A recent Netflix choice, a 1989 Bruce Willis movie called In Country. I'd never seen it and Glenn had only seen bits of it. One of the interesting things about the film is that it was made here where we live and it was so fun seeing points of interest, major buildings, etc. that are so familiar to us.

We enjoyed it.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #5798
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We went to the Imax yesterday with BIL and his ex and saw Hunger Games. OMG, it was LOUD! The movie followed the book very closely, but the book wasn't nearly as LOUD!

I really want to see Pacific Rim, but I will not go to see it in IMax.....my eardrums would never recover!
We went & saw the same movie yesterday afternoon, could not believe the long lines. They were showing the movie every 30 mn in 6 different theaters & long lines in all of them, crazy. It was a pretty good movie though.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #5799
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In the middle of the night, I watched "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald. At the end they bring in the mother of the old priest. A real tear jerker.
We often get "Going My Way" on television at Christmas, along with "It's a Wonderful Life". I love old black and white films. Picked up a trio of Bette Davies DVDs in the charity shop not long ago - "Mr Skeffington", "Dark Victory" and "Now Voyager".
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #5800
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
We often get "Going My Way" on television at Christmas, along with "It's a Wonderful Life". I love old black and white films. Picked up a trio of Bette Davies DVDs in the charity shop not long ago - "Mr Skeffington", "Dark Victory" and "Now Voyager".
A real tear jerker if ever there was one. When I would forget to do something my mother asked me to do, I would tell her I was having a Dark Victory moment. "I'll give you a Dark Victory Moment for real young lady! One you won't come out of!" And I always thought I was the perfect child.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.