"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #6171
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. I was hoping you were going to say you found a free source, lol.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #6172
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I watched "Tiny" on Netflix......a documentary about tiny houses.
I've always loved the concept of downsizing and living in tiny dwellings. I will eventually.
I watched that last night as well. I could do it as a single person with a bigger stove, lol. My other half could not...

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #6173
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks. I was hoping you were going to say you found a free source, lol.
Well.... Redbox is $1.29. That's almost free.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #6174
Head Chef

Watched The Lego Movie last night. Was prepared to think it was no good but actually found it quite funny.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #6175
Master Chef

World War Z on netflix. Not a fan of zombie movies but I actually enjoyed this one.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #6176
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I watched that last night as well. I could do it as a single person with a bigger stove, lol. My other half could not...
I agree. I would need to be single, and with an additional outdoor, enclosed cooking area.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #6177
Head Chef

I watched Darwin's Nightmare last night. The editing could have been better but never-the-less it was a real eye-opener.

"Darwin's Nightmare is a 2004 Austrian-French-Belgian documentary film written and directed by Hubert Sauper, dealing with the environmental and social effects of the fishing industry around Lake Victoria in Tanzania. It premiered at the 2004 Venice Film Festival, and was nominated for the 2006 Academy Award for Documentary Feature at the 78th Academy Awards.[1] The Boston Globe called it "the year's best documentary about the animal world." [2]

I have to disagree about it being the best documentary about the 'animal world' although it does show how simply emptying one bucket of a non-native fish into Lake Victoria at the same time provided work for many and drove other populations into near starvation. Really emphasizes "No good deed goes unpunished".

Not for the faint of heart but an excellent documentary for those interested: Certainly not in the category of a 'fluffy'.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #6178
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just getting around to posting this and it's probably because the movie was so, ugh, not good.

We'd heard many reviews from friends, etc. that were quite positive so when I was last at the library I brought home August: Osage County. Cast seemed good - Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Sam Shepard, along with others. The library had it listed as a drama/comedy so I thought we might enjoy it.

What a waste of our time and a waste of acting talent!! We watched it all the way through, all the while hoping it would improve. No where did we see any speck of comedy and, if there was any, it had to be dark and hidden.

Instead what it was, in our view, was about 2 hours of witnessing a totally dysfunctional family. That's not entertainment.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #6179
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Just getting around to posting this and it's probably because the movie was so, ugh, not good.

We'd heard many reviews from friends, etc. that were quite positive so when I was last at the library I brought home August: Osage County. Cast seemed good - Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Sam Shepard, along with others. The library had it listed as a drama/comedy so I thought we might enjoy it.

What a waste of our time and a waste of acting talent!! We watched it all the way through, all the while hoping it would improve. No where did we see any speck of comedy and, if there was any, it had to be dark and hidden.

Instead what it was, in our view, was about 2 hours of witnessing a totally dysfunctional family. That's not entertainment.
Yep, I couldn't have said it better. The only saving grace about it is that it makes your own family look so dang good.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #6180
Senior Cook

On my mom's BD - 6/22 - we watched the entire Twilight saga and the first 2 Hunger Games movies. Mom is fascinated by the sparkly skinned ones, and I just LOVE how Kat will not let anyone pick on her family.