"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #6241
Chef Extraordinaire

We recently saw "How to Train your Dragon", 1 & 2. They were both pretty good, for a cartoon. They have come a long ways with cartoons.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #6242
Master Chef

Tonight on TCM is one of my favorite Joseph Cotton movies. Portrait of Jennie, made in 1948. Also staring Jennifer Jones and Ethel Barrymore.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #6243
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is on my list of movies I want to see. Just trying to convince a fellow foodie to go with me.

I caught this movie on TVO the other night. I've watched it three times now, twice in German and once with English dubbing. Enjoyed it in German more than the dubbed version, but I don't like dubbed movies--the mouths don't work right! It is a good story and fun. It also makes my brain process German. Not a bad thing.

Mostly Martha (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does DH speak or understand German? Better yet, you should practice your German with the girls.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #6244
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Tonight on TCM is one of my favorite Joseph Cotton movies. Portrait of Jennie, made in 1948. Also staring Jennifer Jones and Ethel Barrymore.
I vaguely remember it. I wish I had TCM. Can't afford the higher cable rate.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #6245
Master Chef

I watched "All is Lost" on Netflix last night, starring Robert Redford. Actually, Redford was the only human in the movie. No dialogue, except a few words at the very beginning.

It was gripping, IMO. Robert Redford still has it at 78 years old.

"Deep into a solo voyage in the Indian Ocean, an unnamed man (Redford) wakes to find his 39-foot yacht taking on water after a collision with a shipping container left floating on the high seas. With his navigation equipment and radio disabled, the man sails unknowingly into the path of a violent storm. Despite his success in patching the breached hull, his mariner's intuition and a strength that belies his age, the man barely survives the tempest. Using only a sextant and nautical maps to chart his progress, he is forced to rely on ocean currents to carry him into a shipping lane in hopes of hailing a passing vessel. But with the sun unrelenting, sharks circling and his meager supplies dwindling, the ever-resourceful sailor soon finds himself staring his mortality in the face."
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #6246
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Oh, I loved "A Portrait of Jenny". It's the first film I remember seeing on my Grandmother's 9 inch screen, black and white television in about 1955. The screen was so small she have to have a special magnifying screen in front of it. I was only about 6 but I can remember that film vividly. I've never seen it since.

If any of you haven't seen it, it was one of those make-people-feel-better wartime and post war films with benevolent ghosts, angels and films with a spiritual thread running through them eg "A matter of Life and Death", "The Ghost and Mrs Muir", "A Guy Named Joe", "It's A Wonderful Life"and "The Enchanted Cottage". It's been said by a number of film historians that these films were popular because thy gave people who had lost loved ones in the war some reassurance that there was "life after death".

Oh dear. The film geek-ess in me is surfacing!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #6247
Executive Chef

Oh yes, and the last film I watched was "Casablanca" - again!

I almost have the dialogue off by heart and I still have a bit of a sniffle at various stages in the film.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #6248
Certified Pretend Chef

Recently,

The Expendables
Trouble With The Curve
The Dark Knight Rises
Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 AM   #6249
Chef Extraordinaire

what did you think of the last 2, andy?

i liked the batman one. very cool bad guy, a plot twist, and uncertainty as to the hero's well being to boot.

i initially balked at "the curve". i thought, "another sappy, turkey necked clint eastwood flick for cougars, er, i mean covered bridge afficionados?"

but it was an enjoyable story. amy adams made it worth the look playing off a stereotypical older eastwood.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #6250
Master Chef

I've seen "Trouble With the Curve" and really enjoyed it, Clint Eastwood notwithstanding. I liked the old scout dressing down the stats guy. How are SABRmetrics working out for you this year, Billy Beane? Not that I can talk...my team decided to play for five months and one week this year...