"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #6451
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As some of you might remember, Glenn and I are motorcycle enthusiasts and ride our Harley as often as possible.

I was in the library last week and "grazed" the DVDs on the display racks. I spied a 2005 Anthony Hopkins film, The World's Fastest Indian. It was based on the story of Burt Munro who set amazing speed records with his bike. Amazingly, he was a senior citizen when he did it!

It was a wonderful movie and I recommend it even it you might not care to ride a bike. The story of his determination and creativity made it time well spent.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #6452
Master Chef

The World's Fastest Indian was a great film. I watched it twice when it was streaming on Netflix a couple of years back.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #6453
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
As some of you might remember, Glenn and I are motorcycle enthusiasts and ride our Harley as often as possible.

I was in the library last week and "grazed" the DVDs on the display racks. I spied a 2005 Anthony Hopkins film, The World's Fastest Indian. It was based on the story of Burt Munro who set amazing speed records with his bike. Amazingly, he was a senior citizen when he did it!

It was a wonderful movie and I recommend it even it you might not care to ride a bike. The story of his determination and creativity made it time well spent.
That was a good movie, I haven't seen it in years, but good story...
Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #6454
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
A friend and I went to see "Into The Woods" yesterday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I can't wait to see it.
I saw it a couple of years ago. Not the current incarnation, but a video of a live stage production. Himself was working, my friend who is a musical director for a local theatre group or two was considering doing a run of the show. We settled in with huge salads, even bigger glasses of wine, and the remote. After hearing all the vocal parts she would have to cast and direct, she decided to not suggest that show!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #6455
Master Chef

Has anyone seen "Lucy", with Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman? It's playing on Dish on Demand and thought I'd try to get some opinions here before I order it. Sounds good in a weird sci-fi kind of way. I'm a big Morgan Freeman fan.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #6456
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Has anyone seen "Lucy", with Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman? It's playing on Dish on Demand and thought I'd try to get some opinions here before I order it. Sounds good in a weird sci-fi kind of way. I'm a big Morgan Freeman fan.
I saw "Lucy" and found it to be absolutely spectacular, but then I am also a huge fan of the writer, producer and director - Luc Beeson and have always enjoyed his movies.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #6457
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I couldn't get into it, and I really like morgan freeman, Scarlett I am not crazy about. I felt like they rushed the end and started with a good idea for a movie, someone takes drugs that makes them use 100% of their brain, where could that idea have came from, lol Limitless (2011) - IMDb de niro and cooper did it 5 years ago...
I watched it with my brother and son and out of the 3 of us, we weren't impressed, my brother actually took off before it was over, and then asked me if the end brought it all together, and I had to be honest and say no, I wish I stopped watching when you did...

This movie is going to be on demand for free within a month or so, I wouldn't bother spending money on it, there are much better options out there...

On another note- my office manager seen it and loved it, actually told me I had to see it, I didn't have the heart to tell her I thought it was a waste of time, but she is a Scar Jo fan from the days of 8 legged freaks, lol...

Honestly a few movies I have watched recently have been let downs, I was looking forward to birdman and it I didn't like it at all, I did like the judge and Interstellar with mat mchonahey{?spelling}, if you are looking for a sci fi movie watch that one, it was out there but entertaining...
Old 01-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #6458
Master Chef

I also did not enjoy Birdman at all. I stopped watching it about three quarters of the way through.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #6459
Master Chef

Thanks for the 'Lucy' critiques, princess and C42. I think it's something I would like.

C42, I also saw 'Limitless' a month or so ago on Netflix and loved it! A couple of scenes were kind of out there but all in all I thought it was a great movie. Princess, I bet you would like it.

Bradley Cooper was awesome in it , I kind of wish Robert De Niro had a larger part in the film, but it was a very important part so that's ok.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #6460
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I also did not enjoy Birdman at all. I stopped watching it about three quarters of the way through.
I was actually looking forward to that one, so you can imagine the let down, just a waste of time, 2 hours I can not get back...